Wii startup disc system FOUND!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by pstrick1, Aug 18, 2010.

1. shuffle2

shuffle2 Rising Member

drama -> LOL

2. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I think you're misinterpreting. I didn't say I disliked the idea of dump / release.

You have to remember what forum this is, our definition of unique and rare
    is probably taken to the nth degree. All respect for your efforts.

3. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

Well, hell. Sorry guys. Every now and then I forget that I am no longer 11 years old. Bushing can tell you all about that.

Perhaps if I stopped taking everything so personally, my life would be a bit easier.

4. ASSEMbler

Paul what was the mfg date of the wii you had?

If you go to nintendo.com is registerable?

5. bushing

bushing Active Member

Sorry for the delay -- I got caught up in some of the finer details, but decided to put together what I have and post it, and polish up some of the nitty-gritty stuff later (the stuff at the end of the post, mostly).

http://hackmii.com/2010/09/insert-startup-disc/

Hopefully it was worth the wait and everyone's efforts :)

6. ASSEMbler

It would seem that every console like this sent out would be flashed, and this one arrived broken and was discarded. Someone cobbled together parts to make wiis and sold this one as-is.

I'd say this is a very interesting situation for sure.

7. supermariovb64

supermariovb64 Spirited Member

very interesting read:D i hope you can get your hands on the wii start up disk;)

8. bushing

bushing Active Member

Oh, and to answer the earlier question about preserving the state of the Wii -- the "cleanest" option would have been to solder up an Infectus to the NAND flash, but there's a certain amount of risk and damage there -- and for reasons I can't explain I've had poor luck with Samsung-branded flash chips, which is what I found in this Wii. It's also a pain in the ass to do. :)

Other than that, the fact that we succeeded in booting the system off a disc without installing anything means that some directories were created in flash, a file was added for the disc I booted (00010001-HAXX), and an entry was added to /sys/uid.sys for that title. In real terms, that means 2 16KB clusters of other data was overwritten and lost, but those changes would be fairly easily reversible by hand.

If I had thought it through a bit more, I could have used the 1-2 title ID (like the pinkfish disc and "homebrew checker" disc!) for my disc, and avoided both of those changes; alas.

Before sending the Wii back to Paul, I made one other change that's non-trivial to reverse -- after much consideration, I upgraded from boot2v1 to boot2v4 (+BootMii). There's no functional difference between boot2v1 and boot2v4, having BootMii installed makes a lot of other fun stuff possible (like rolling everything else back and starting over!), and we have a copy of boot2v1 for the proverbial archives. If someone held a gun to my head, I could write a program that downgraded boot2 by changing a few bytes in the internal EEPROM, but I've never gotten around to writing such a program because it's so hard to debug -- any mistake there will render the console unusable with no known way to fix it.

9. link83

link83 Enthusiastic Member

Great read, thanks bushing :)

Thanks also for your above reply about preserving the state of the NAND, I guess two 16KB clusters isnt too much to be concerned about :nod: In the article you mentioned having to burn 10 disks to get it working, so i'm curious to know if the Wii only stores the data for the last disk booted? (Otherwise I imagine there would be multiple entries in the NAND?)

Also, whilst I think the theory about someone coming across a pile of Wii main boards used for repair is certainly possible, I think theres probably a much simpler explanation for the mixed parts used in this Wii...

I have repaired quite a few Dreamcasts over the last few years, all had different faults/problems e.g:-

Dreamcast 1 has no video output and the motherboard appears dead
    Dreamcast 2 has a dead GD-Drive laser but boots fine
    Dreamcast 3 is functionally fine but has a chipped/yellowed case

I take the good parts from Dreamcast 1 (The casing and GD-Drive) and fix up Dreamcasts 2 and 3, then I reassemble all the 'rubbish' parts into one non-functional console which I keep around just on the off chance I can eventually fix it or use any of the smaller parts (e.g. drive motors, spindles, switches etc)

I think its quite likely the same thing happened to this Wii - it probably somehow ended up in the hands of a console repair shop/modder and to them the "Insert Startup Disk" message might as well mean the mainboard is dead/unusable, so why not take the good parts (The casing and DMS drive) to repair other Wii consoles, then reassemble the remaining parts into one broken Wii? The D2B drive fitted into this Wii might have a random disk read error problem, or perhaps the repairer had an old modchip like the CycloWiz that could only be used on a DMS/D2A drive so swapped this Wii's drive for the newer D2B?

Just my random thoughts!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  10. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

Just read the Hackmii post. Thanks Bushing. That is an excellent write up. Explained some weird stuff I found in the NAND.

I have one concern. I have checked the comments 3 times today at hackmii, just to read the opinions. There have been 3 revisions of the article.

1. First Post.
    2.Post with the update and a small mention about the 2 discs you booted over writing 16Kb ea because they wrote to 0001000. You mentioned that you should have used the gay fish/ homebrew detector method to prevent this.
    3. You remove all references to the over writes and gay fish disc.

Why the removal? /me gets out tin foil hat.

11. bushing

bushing Active Member

In most cases, that would be true -- the normal System Menu will cache the disc header, TMD, apploader and main DOL of the most-recently-used disc in /title/00000001/00000002/data/cache.dat, and it also creates, deletes and modifies various other files in that directory (cdb.vff with the playtime log, iplsave.bin with the channel positions, state.dat) -- this is how we've been able to recreate some of the other discs used in Wii service centers. The "stub" system menu in this Wii doesn't seem to do any of that -- it loads the disk and boots it directly. I imagine that they took their GameCube disc-booting code (the GC IPL, I guess) and ported that to the Wii, and that's what we see here.

It certainly wasn't intentional -- I might blame Wordpress. I actually worked on this over the course of the week and I came back at least once to see the last few paragraphs I wrote completely gone! However, I'm not sure I ever put that bit into the post -- are you sure you didn't just read that above in my post earlier in this thread?

12. G0dLiKe

G0dLiKe <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

I also enjoyed the read on hackmii, like I always do. :)

BTW Paul, maybe you´re mixing something up, Hackmii blog post didnt state anything about what you mention here, its all here in this thread, check post#88

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  13. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

Huh. You're right. I guess I mixed up all the information. So it goes.

14. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

15. G0dLiKe

G0dLiKe <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

Absolutely love it. Thx for sharing the pics.

16. supermariovb64

supermariovb64 Spirited Member

lucky XD thanks for sharing the photos;)