Why so many serial numbers removed?

Discussion in 'Neo Geo Discussion' started by Ashevent, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Ashevent

Ashevent Site Supporter 2015

Just a question I have and can't find an answer to elsewhere.

So i've seen LOTS i'd say maybe even the majority of MVS carts with the serial numbers removed. Some of the vendors do show the boards and i've run them past the MVS Scans site and they seem to be real, trustworthy vendors the whole thing so...why would people remove the series numbers? Just a curiosity as to why this is so prevalent.

2. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Perhaps it was low quality and was "damaged" so to make it cleaner it was removed?

No idea.

3. Kuririn84

Kuririn84 Spirited Member

SNK licensed the Arcade operators. It was against the license to resell the carts, so they simply scratched them off to keep them from being traced back to them. Operators might risk getting black listed and SNK wouldn't sell to them anymore.

It's also seems to be a common thing for businesses to scratch off serials before getting rid of old equipment, I never understood it.

Sonny_Jim, Digmac and Ashevent like this.
  4. Ashevent

they actually scratch or even cut evenly just the seriel number..wierd. Just thought there was some common reason since so many of them are this way.

s-l500.jpg

5. Ashevent

Thanks, Just saw your post after I posted the above..lol. I figured it was something like that. Just curious about the story. Thanks again!