Why is everyone shitting on the PC Classic?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by DSwizzy145, Nov 13, 2018.

1. DSwizzy145

DSwizzy145 Well Known Member

Ever since the announcement of this PC Classic getting a release:

People has been crapping on it for awhile now and funny how everyone goes fucking batshit crazy for a Super Nintendo Classic Edition and the coming next month PlayStation Classic but now this comes out and people are making fun of it which is pretty hypocritical in my opinion.

Personally me on the other hand wouldn't mind buying this too pop in some near Arcade Perfect versions of Mortal Kombat 1-3 & Ultimate, The House of the Dead, Daytona USA, Super Street Fighter 2, and many other great games like Screamer 1 & 2, Descent, of course some of the Korean and some Chinese DOS games, Alone in the Dark 1-3, Blair Witch Volume 1, Prince of Persia 2, Ultima VII, Hocus Pocus, Police Quest games series, Cobra Mission, Knights of Xentar, Sim City 2000 (no garbage console version too), Star Wars: TIE Fighter.

I can keep going all day! but i guess for some reason those people can't get a Raspberry Pi for your Super Nintendo and PlayStation 1 right?...

2. teckman02

teckman02 Spirited Member

the way that I see it is that the NES, SNES and now the PlayStation classic are more iconic with a broader audience. The PC classic I feel falls in the same area as the C64 mini its cool and all but its a niche market

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  3. DSwizzy145

Yeah true but i feel having something like this if given enough chance can bring in a new audience if done right.

4. stevo9389

stevo9389 Plays It Loud

So they took out all the fun of dealing with installation, driver conflicts and hardware requirements and made a "console". I guess for some reason those people can't get a Raspberry Pi or some other cheap PC for their DOSBox needs right?

5. Nully

Nully Intrepid Member

All of this cash-grab junk will end up in a landfill next to emoji merchandise. You can get a $5 Windows XP/Vista era desktop on Craigslist and have everything that all of these "consoles" offer and more, and nothing will ever change my mind.

Keiji Dragon, weldedale and teckman02 like this.
  6. DSwizzy145

Unless you enjoy setting up crap, then again these mini consoles are mainly sold for the "casual" audience to begin with, while you and i are tech savvy genius doesn't mean your local consumer is gonna do a damn thing on how to set anything up.

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  7. MoonDog

MoonDog Robust Member

My secret, elite, video-game hobby is being dismantled before my eyes D:

teckman02, Taijigamer2 and DSwizzy145 like this.
  8. DSwizzy145

And now we got the YouTube world shitting on it unfortunately :(

teckman02 likes this.
  9. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Everyones shitting on it? I only saw it in one place and it was a positive outlook.

I think it's a neat idea, even though i have two old laptops for DOS/XP era games. It's still a cool idea to have something plug and play, I know lots of people that love the games but suck ass at working with computers.

BTW Whiplash is where it's at, y'all.

DSwizzy145 and Mord.Fustang like this.
  10. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Dauntless Member

I'm with speedyink... it's not built/marketed for "hardcore gaming/PC enthusiasts" and those of us here on this forum, it's meant for those who want a quick plug and play system. Is it a fad that will end up in the landfill like emoji things and those Pacman plug and play systems? Probably. Doesn't mean people won't enjoy it for now.

jollyroger likes this.
  11. Vosse

Vosse Well Known Member

Having to deal with all the set up and config bs is not fun. Why is it so fun to remove the awful part of the experience of trying to play games on PC?

From someone who primarily plays on PC.
    If anything the classic fad has proven there is a market for people who just want to remove the bs and play the games decently on modern displays without having to spend hundreds of dollars for a scaler set up (Or for the cost of a single game that is included as part of the system) and all the time to get it just right.

Executed right (Read:Nintnedo) it's a good experience. But others like Sony and SNK clearly didn't put as much effort into it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    DSwizzy145 likes this.
  12. Sloth

Sloth Active Member

I think it's just the plug-n-play console trend that people are making fun of really. You know how when some game announces a battle royale mode, you're like that: "Oh, another one...". :rolleyes:. Same thing.

13. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I think it's a good way to play old PC games I won't hate on it, if it makes it to market and it has hard to find abandonware I'm down.

14. jonwil

jonwil Robust Member

I think the "PC Classic" as a product is going to appeal to those who want to play the old PC games (or show them to their kids/have their kids play them) but may not have a PC suitable to play them on. Also it will appeal to those who do have a PC but dont want that PC being tied up for gaming (e.g. its a PC for doing office stuff or documents or homework or other important stuff). Or a relative who may not know much about computers and gaming per se but knows that whoever they are buying for used to have one of those "old computers" back in the day and thinks one of these would appeal to them. Maybe its a parent who doesn't like the idea of their kid having a full PC (with internet access and all the other things a PC can do) in the bedroom but is OK with the kid having a games machine like this.

Or those who dont know about sites like Gog and see this as an easy way to get all the games they used to play without a lot of work.

DSwizzy145 likes this.
  15. DSwizzy145

Yeah i can see that