Who's down for the Genesis/Mega Drive Mini?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GodofHardcore, May 17, 2019.

1. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I just bought one. Even though I have an everdrive and Model 1 Genesis.

Reason being, M2 is doing the software end of things and M2 are GOD, I want to see what features it's going to have soon though, Can we make it sound like a Model 1 or Model 2? Scanlines, monitor simulation? I'd love those things.

Pretty solid game line up too. Mega Man Wily Wars getting an official US release for the first time. Castlevania Bloodlines, Gunstar Heroes (M2 has done magic with it many times)
    Mega Drive Mini has MUSHA too (maybe we'll get MUSHA in the last 10 yet to be announced)

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Keiji Dragon likes this.
  2. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

I’m all in. Buying both the Japanese and European version for the same reason as you, M2. Given their track record I can’t imagine how this wont be better than Nintendos mini consoles, where the SNES still was pretty damn good.

The games announced are already insane and much, much better than I dared imagine, and though I already own a bunch of them I still want to support this in full.

I expect the option for integer scaling to 720p and great scanlines too. This has always been M2’s strength. I absolutely hate retro releases with blur filters, curved screens and unevenly placed scanlines.

The d3t developed Mega Drive collection on PS4/Switch is a piece of crap, with horrible inputlag.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  3. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Why would you want this if you already have a Genesis/Mega Drive and games or an Everdrive? I get that you like it because M2 is involved, but in what way does that translate to being better than real hardware or an emulator on a PC?

Personally, I'm only interested in a rerelease of something if it offers a significant enhancement compared to the original. If it's just the same as the original, why would you pay multiple times for something you already own? It just seems like a cash grab, and obviously it works.

Tarnish likes this.
  4. BetaGuy64

BetaGuy64 A convincing argument away from buying EB64

This is mostly aimed at the casual crowd I'd think, or those who have nostalgia for it and want an easy plug-n'-play setup. Even to those who own a regular Genesis, these things are cool as collectors items too. I think it's cool, and definitely a good marketing move. Classic stuff is in the now currently I guess, probably because those 90's kids are getting older (which is why a Nintendo 64 is like $80, lol)

5. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

I will most likely never own a game like Wily Wars because the prices have skyrocketed in the past years. And I find no joy in piracy. My Everdrive is primarily used for rom hacks or playing US/JAP versions of PAL optimized games I own, like Alien Soldier.

I find new hardware, especially from Sega, exciting even if it’s just emulation. Other emulator solutions like Raspberry Pis and what have you means nothing to me. I want it official and legal.
    But really, what I spend my money on is none of your concern. I own a lot of the SNES games as well, and I still really liked the SNES mini.

Keiji Dragon and BetaGuy64 like this.
  6. GodofHardcore

For one thing, first official North American Release of Wily Wars, so Mega Man fans are already sold.

The other thing is I have an Everdrive, I can play everything that isn't a light gun game or Virtua Racing, But having so much in front of me, kills my attention span when trying to play something. The Genesis isn't the most expensive retro console to collect for but some of the bigger games are up there in price, Gunstar Heroes for example, and that's a game that M2 has worked it's magic on multiple times I have the PS2 collection with Dynamite Heady and Alien Soldier and it's amazing.

And the 3rd reason, as we know especially with us being the hardest of the Hardcore, Genesis hardware varies, a Model 2 doesn't sound like a Model 1 and if they go the extra mile to emulate the sound chips of both, you'd have an interesting show piece.

Keiji Dragon and Bearking like this.
  7. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

HDMI

Keiji Dragon and Bearking like this.
  8. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Meh. It doesn't seem cool to me. There are plenty of kinds of rereleases that I actually would think are cool, but this kind in particular just seems boring and pointless. It's true that it's good marketing; that's because people will buy anything.

What's the advantage of having both? I own both a model 1 and a model 2, but I only ever use the model 1 because it looks and sounds better.

9. GodofHardcore

Why not have both?

I'm not sure what the Mega SG does, the Mister Board core is based on the model 2. Not many would care but for some people it could be fun to have both and compare.

10. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

The only thing I'd buy it for is for the shelf. I can imagine they'd look kinda neat in someones collection. Obviously I haven't thought that was a cool enough reason for me yet since I haven't bought any mini console, but that's the main draw I see.

That and Starfox 2's final version getting released finally was so damn cool. So close to buying one just for that game, but I figured getting a hacked cart for my SNES would be cooler.

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  11. Tarnish

Tarnish Member

I will never understand the appeal of this 'mini/classic' craze. We're at the point even your toaster can play these games, and we all had 30 years to experience these games one way or another. I guess people are just fine buying the same old stuff if it's repackaged fancily enough.

I can totally see SEGA selling these same old games for another 50 years. Gotta get that new Mega Drive/Genesis mini # 25 so I can play it on my 64K television.

12. stevo9389

stevo9389 Plays It Loud

If the quality is as good as the SNES mini I wouldn't hesitate to buy just for Wily Wars. The bonus being they don't take up much space and travel easy. Any predictions on whether their demand outpaces supply like we saw with Nintendo?

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  13. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

I think most of this is just a wave of nostalgia from those that grew up with these games. I don't think it's going to be a continuing trend indefinitely. The scarcity of the NES Classic drop the hype up for these things to very high levels. It's going to go down to a more reasonable level. The shitty Playstation Classic helped. The Genesis looks like it should be solid but I don't think it'll be the repeat of the NES Classic.

I have no interest in any of the "classic" or "mini" systems. But I did get both the Super NT and Mega SG. They are not software emulation and they provide very high quality HDMI capable clones of two of my favorite systems. I have no need for an emulation box that's prepackaged in a nice looking package.

I hope it does well though and encourages them to think about their older games more both for re-releases and future titles.

14. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

On a similar note, I'm not really interested in these "classic" consoles as I want to use my own cartridges. But I am looking for a machine to play NES cartridges and plug it in to a modern TV, and the Analogue NT mini is hard to find, and in the $1-2000 range when it pops up.

So what's the best solution? I'm thinking about the RetroUSB AVS, but have heard a little about the Polymega but it's not yet released. Ideally it has both HDMI and RGB, but I've only seen Analogue having that solution.

15. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

On the topic or rereleases, why is it that companies will release devices like this, but not rereleases of games on their original formats? That actually seems like a bad business decision, because they could probably make a ton of money doing that. Maybe not Sega, but Nintendo at least could probably make a lot of money selling new Earthbound carts, for example. Can you imagine if they did that? They would sell out pretty much instantly. My guess is that Nintendo, at least, won't do that because they don't want to draw attention away from their other products.

btw, I'm aware of the cart rerelease of Street Fighter II for SNES, but that's a little different because it's made by another company but officially licensed. I'm thinking about something that's like this - an official product, not just a licensed version - only a game, rather than a system.

16. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

Imagine if they released a collector's edition of a new Zelda game, that included ALttP on a SNES cartridge.

17. jonwil

jonwil Robust Member

Would Nintendo even be able to make new SNES cartridges? Or would they need to go to the same places doing reproduction shells and CIC chip replacements and such as the guys that did Street Fighter 2 and such like did?

18. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

They could easily make the shells and labels themselves. They might have to rely on someone else for the boards. That actually could be an issue, because the people who make repros typically make pretty small numbers of them, so that probably wouldn't be good enough for Nintendo's purposes. What they might have to do is license someone else's design and manufacture them themselves.

EDIT: Actually, the designs are probably open source, so Nintendo could just take the designs and produce as many of them as they want.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  19. GodofHardcore

I can Vouch for the AVS I don't use it often, it works with Everdrives too.

Only issue I have is the Famicom port is super finnicky

Arcadia likes this.
  20. Tarnish

Tarnish Member

I just find it weird that it took 30 years for nostalgia to hit. I was like 5 when my brothers rented Sonic 2 and a few other Mega Drive and SNES games, but when we got a PC a few years later and found out about emulators and ROMs, we jumped on that immediately. And this was only like 6-8 years after playing the games for the first time.

Also, with Nintendo and Sony, these 'classic' compilation 'consoles' were at least a new thing. But SEGA has crapped out so many of the damn things with Atgames, I'm just surprised people aren't sick and tired already. Not to mention all the Genesis compilations released on multiple consoles.