Who could enter the console space now if a void showed up?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GodofHardcore, Jan 25, 2017.

1. jp.

jp. Be Attitude For Gains

I don't think anybody would at this point.

Sony got lucky in that Nintendo and Sega were imploding on themselves at the time.
    Microsoft came in when Sega was on their way out, and MS primarily tapped into a US market that was primed for PC-like console gaming.

Not sure what a new challenger would bring to the table to be honest. I guess it depends on who went out. If Nintendo bowed out, I'm not sure that anyone tries to fill that void since Nintendo's niche would have been exactly what killed them.

If Sony went out I would expect one of two things:
    Nintendo, being Japanese, releases a traditional console to fill the void.
    Some large Japanese electronics company releases a console to fill the void.
    Regardless, if Sony went out someone would pretty much have a free pass at the Japanese market since they don't have interest in Microsoft.

If Microsoft went out I don't really see anyone bothering to try and replace them. They no longer seem to be filling a market need that can't be easily consumed by their competition.

Krayzar likes this.
  2. mettleramiel

mettleramiel Robust Member

Yea, I don't think there would be a void to fill

3. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Disney

Johnace 2.0 likes this.
  4. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

Before the Switch announcement I'd have held to my prediction that Disney would eventually buy Nintendo. But the Switch seems to be Nintendo's big comeback so I don't know.

5. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

Don't see the point really. They would never want to keep their franchises exclusive to one console, which means they'd be buying just their franchise and not their lucrative (3DS atleast, perhaps even Switch) console business.

But yeah, they are building this great theme park together.

6. Darkhero

Darkhero The Future Is Now

Though I see the similarities between the two companies, I can't see Apple adding a full-fledged console to their current ecosystem.

7. rso

rso °

crissybwoy likes this.
  8. GodofHardcore

What I'd expect from an Apple console.

OVER PRICED even for the specs
    Proprietary ports that require an adapter
    Tons of games getting rejected for release
    Updates that will brick the system
    Hipsters going on and on about how great it is.

Darkhero and Johnace 2.0 like this.
  9. ktfdemo111

ktfdemo111 Nintendo Demo and Collect

Phillips:p

10. Johnace 2.0

Johnace 2.0 Member

HTC, the vive is a very well made piece of kit and a console built to use that would dominate the VR market.

Arcadia likes this.
  11. rso

rso °

I can honestly say that so far this year, my CD-i has seen more use than both my Wii and 360 :cool:

If - if - this time around, VR makes the jump from a novelty toy to a proper platform, they're the one to watch for sure. Mostly because of their controller tech. I'll take "average screen, better controls" over "good screen but gotta use a gamepad" any day of the week.

Johnace 2.0 likes this.
  12. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

I'm still thinking/hoping Disney buys Capcom, but now that they're more interested in licensing out their exceedingly valuable IPs, I don't see them going into video games in a big way anymore.

13. miloxydia

miloxydia Spirited Member

Huawei.

Would probably see a lot of interesting games start coming out of China if Huawei made a console, just from new Chinese developers popping up with original ideas, but people outside of China would probably miss out on a lot of the best titles for it. Not sure the Chinese market is good for a home console though.

As much as I wish, don't think we'll ever see another Sega console. They definitely could, but they wouldn't make any money from it unless Sony and Nintendo simultaneously left the home console market.

14. Sonny_Jim

Sonny_Jim Enthusiastic Member

Apple already did a game console and unsurprisingly it sucked:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pippin

Anyone entering the console market nowadays is going to need *deep* pockets, along with a bunch of friendly software houses to make games for them. Right now, I don't see anyone who can do that.

Samsung have the money and hardware, but zero experience (or rather, zero success) in the gaming marketplace

Apple isn't doing as well as it used to, plus it would clutter up their product line. Why buy the Apple XYZ console when everything else they sell is touchscreen based
    A VR based console would be an excellent money maker *if* they can get themselves a 'killer app' to launch it with. SNES had SMW, PS1 had Ridge Racer/Tekken/Gran Turismo (sorta), Microsoft had their Halo series, Wii had Wii Sports. Right now I don't see anything in the VR marketplace that has such a new gaming mechanic that it'll 'force' people to buy a VR headset.

On a side note, I read an interesting interview with Jeff Minter where he said (paraphrasing) that 'most VR games try to look ultra-realistic, but that sort of screws with the immersion because your brain doesn't know it's real. But if you make the game look like what we expect VR to look like (Think Tron) then it's a lot easier for our brains to assimilate'. Really looking forward to Polybius after playing it a few times, really impressive game. Also there's rumours of TxK getting a VR release (finally!) so I'm getting excited for this year in VR.

15. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Gran Turismo wasn't a launch game, not even close. It came out years later. Tekken was also not a launch game.

Personally, I was skeptical of how good VR could be until I tried the Vive. Now that I've tried it, it seems like it has potential, and maybe eventually could become a mainstream product. But it's hard to predict these things.

16. GodofHardcore

Samsung isn't as inexperienced as one would think. They did distribution for Sega in South Korea after all

17. HugeCat

HugeCat Active Member

SAMSUNG if they buy Sega and use the brand

Krayzar likes this.
  18. Krayzar

Krayzar 75% Weasels by Volume

That could actually work. Huh.

19. D_Ban

D_Ban Robust Member

HI!

[​IMG]

:p

sa1 likes this.
  20. Flash

Flash Dauntless Member

Rotting traces, SMD components falling off the board, weird software glitches. Like Macbooks 2014-2016.