Who could enter the console space now if a void showed up?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GodofHardcore, Jan 25, 2017.

1. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

Say one of the 3 for whatever reason, Bankruptcy, Higher ups pulling the plug, In fighting had to leave the console space. Who do you think could and would enter the frey to fill the void?

Samsung comes to mind, or some start up in China.

This has been a discussion on twitter. Mostly focused on one particular Console maker, but I won't say who. You know me you can put two and two together.

2. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

I expected Apple to buy nintendo soon than later. Been wrong so far it seems.

3. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Valve still has the PC market, they made a small attempt at unifying PC and Consoles that didn't really go anywhere.

I don't see any big hardware contenders but the idea of one of the big ones going third party for the other two seems like a more likely thing to happen. Would make it back to a choice between two options (three if you count PC).

Who knows, but in the end one being a third party supporter without filling the void would be the most likely result. It's now just a matter of which one will it be (and I'm looking at Microsoft mainly as merging Win10 and Xbone is making them feel less and less relevant).

4. rso

rso °

I wouldn't be surprised if NVidia tried to expand on the Shield line at some point. Then again, they're a bit lacking in the software department - these things are "just an android box" with the potential to become "just a steam machine" (albeit probably a very decent one), so unless they bring some killer app/feature I wouldn't expect it to work out in the long term tbh.

> or some start up in China.
    That reminds me - whatever happened to the Fuze F1?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  5. Syclopse

Syclopse .

OUYA!

Johnace 2.0 likes this.
  6. Krayzar

Krayzar 75% Weasels by Volume

I'm gonna go for it.

Sega.

Johnace 2.0, BLUamnEsiac and jp. like this.
  7. mairsil

mairsil Officer at Arms

Konami. Home pachislo machines all over the place.

8. dyer60

dyer60 Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015,2016

Ha! I was waiting for someone to say that. We can but hope.

I would have thought it would be a Chinese start up but it is going to be very hard for anyone to make it a success.

9. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

People say this, but exactly how many would actually buy it? The new generation wouldn't know who Sega is, let alone if they made new releases of their IPs.

10. Krayzar

True. Perhaps no one would buy it now.

But in an age where the two main "hardcore" systems are basically just glorified PCs, and split screen multiplayer virtually doesn't exist, should it be terribly hard for anyone with the capital and the guts (or delusional insanity) to be disruptive? All anyone seems to need any more is a modicum of brand recognition and a good online experience. Hell Nintendo seems entirely unwilling to make sane customer pleasing choices when it comes to Online. Surely Sega could get that part right... Maaaaaybe...

While it might be controversial, and I personally hate to say this, I think Sega would do better these days ditching much of their old IP and going for something new. They've always been better with new ideas than they've been with iterations.

11. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

I think we've become too accustomed to being part of a large ecosystem that stays with us whenever a newer system comes to market. We all have hundreds of apps and games for Android, Ios, Steam, Windows (Store and exe:s) and now Xbox has started to build up a decent backwards compatible library of games.

I think the day when a player in the market could introduce a new device where the potential customers have to start from scratch is long gone.

12. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

How about a console based around the Nesica live eco system?
    Since Taito is owned by Square Enix now, Exclusive Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Tomb Raider could be a huge selling point, plus arcade games on the Nesica network. I just don't see Square wanting to do it.

Raw Thrills is the only other arcade manufacturer but I don't see Eugene Jarvis wanting to start a console business. They're out.

Samsung seems to be testing the waters through their phones with VR.

As for Sega, If it launches with Yakuza 7 I'm in.

13. A. Snow

A. Snow Old School Member

Google

Krayzar likes this.
  14. Krayzar

Actually, yeah. They've done far crazier than produce a video game system. Wouldn't put it past them.

15. Syclopse

Syclopse .

rso likes this.
  16. rso

rso °

You have my attention. Is it what would've been the Nexus Orbit, or sth else entirely?
    edit: More likely it's the Nexus Player

Anyways, unless it ever got a proper commercial release I'd file it under "business decision" rather than "failure".

17. Syclopse

Syclopse .

18. Krayzar

Eh, I doubt they ever really intended to make the Nexus player an actual console system.

The report was wholly unconfirmed, and 2013 was when smart TVs and set top streaming boxes were becoming extremely popular and capable. It makes much more sense for the primary target audience to have always been TV streamers.

19. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Same could be said of Xbox and PS4, TV streamers.

20. Krayzar

That PS4 and Xbox are primarily streaming devices? I don't follow...