Which Megasis?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GodofHardcore, Aug 20, 2017.

1. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

New codrumdrum The fact that not all Megasis models are created equal. I was leaning towards a Model 1 for sound, then I find out the model 2 has better color. Then the idea of splerging and getting either a CDX or X'eye hit me.

I'm at the point of F it and just Emulating for best sound/picture.

So if I go the hardware route what should I get?

2. Taijigamer2

Taijigamer2 Gutsy Member

From what I remember reading, the Model 1 has better sound but u would have to rewire stereo from the front if u wanted to output it through an RGB cable. The Model 2 suffers jail bars because they cheaped out on components. U can get an RGB amp board to sort this or attach a 32x. I'm currently building a Sega Neptune using a Model 2 for the aesthetics but if I were to have a stand alone Mega Drive, I would go with a Model 1.

3. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

I keep going back to my Model 1. Funnily enough, yesterday I was in the mood for some Sonic 2. Since getting my Sega CD I've had the model 2 hooked up. As I was playing, something just sounded wrong.. it was the ring sound, it sounded almost like it was distorted. Then I noticed all of the sound was kind of lifeless, and any higher pitched sounds ended up distorted. Dug out the Model 1, got it all hooked up, and it sounded beautiful in comparison. I tried to compare picture quality, and I must say there didn't seem to be any downgrade to the video. So I'd say the model 1, because the sound is a huge difference, the picture quality doesn't appear to be so night and day. It may be my TV smoothing things out, but I really didn't see a downgrade.

4. Neo-Alec

Neo-Alec Rapidly Rising Member

Haven't heard of the video issue. Get the model 1.

5. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

I thought it was just the Composite Video that was inferior to the later models, which doesn't matter if you are using RGB. So I don't know what he's talking about with video quality. Generally I've heard you want a model 1 for the best experience, and specific revisions of it as they aren't all the same.

6. GodofHardcore

Maybe my source on this is in correct.Ill find the video in a bit.

7. Taijigamer2

Taijigamer2 Gutsy Member

8. GodofHardcore

Found the video

9. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

I can't begin to separate fact from speculation. Start by trying "c-sync" cables to reduce interference from composite video.
    It appears related to a pre-existing design issue. Master System can have jail bars also.

Double check the x'eye if you buy one, some units don't output RGB.