Which consoles play these Confidential discs?

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by DiamondDave, Sep 8, 2018.

1. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Spirited Member

I was curious if I need to pick up a debug unit to play this, or if it’s of no use? It doesn’t boot on my North America NTSC Xbox. It says
    “Invalid game region. Make sure the disc is an Xbox game. Remove the disc to continue.”

Disc is Pressed and not a DVD-R (surprised it doesn’t boot on retail, maybe an E3 build instead of Review?). Printed on top is CC00703E-T Microsoft Confidential, Supposedly from Capcom.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  2. DiamondDave

[​IMG]

Looks similar to this Sonic Heroes:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    _XBOX_ likes this.
  3. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Can you upload to imgur.com? Most likely needs a debug kit to read it.

4. DiamondDave

I got the image uploaded on imgur, thank you. It’s definitely not playable on retail like the halo 2 alpha/beta discs.

5. DiamondDave

I figured it would boot on retail being pressed, but I’ll grab a debug kit and I guess softmod in the meantime.

It has a US copyright of 2002 but I don’t know if the “US” part is relevant considering that Microsoft is an American Company.

6. Masamune3210

Masamune3210 Rising Member

Even if it's pressed, if it's signed with debug keys it will only play on a Dev kit or a system with signed checks removed

7. DiamondDave

It’s supposed to be Marvel vs Capcom 2. I’m incredibly curious to see how it fares against DC. There’s so many misconceptions already assuming that the DC version is superior, but that’s never truly been the case IMO.

As far as retail console versions, MVC2 on DC has some characters haved watered down intro sprite animations & finalized character selection portraits are static instead of beautifully scroll horizontally before a match begins.

The DC version does tend to load background animations more quickly on some stages, and in some cases even some background animations have been removed completely from loading up on the retail Xbox version (such as a flag blowing in the wind on the ship stage.) I’m sincerely hoping that this early Xbox version does load these missing backgrounds as it’s not a mere common review disc intended for retail consoles, and hopefully this version will take full advantage of the entire 128MB of RAM allotted to Xbox Debug Console to exact the game’s full possible potential. If so, there’s a chance it could be the definitive available console version of this amazing title (sans the currently unavailable XBL/PSN glitchy DC widescreen ported versions that got yanked after Disney purchased Marvel.) That version was cool native resolution wise, but lots of attack animations fell short of displaying properly on the expanded widescreen 16:9 mode of that rushed rerelease.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed, I’ll report back soon.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    _XBOX_ likes this.
  8. DiamondDave

I was wondering, is there any way possible to read the code on the disc to find out the game code build date or the date that the disc was pressed?

When put in a PC this silver disc is read as the typical SEP13011042072 and greeted with the standard “This is an Xbox Game Disc” video file message.

It would be awesome to know the build date or press date.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  9. Masamune3210

Masamune3210 Rising Member

Xbox DVD's have multiple partitions on them, the only one that normal drives like computer drives and dvd players can see without modification is the one containing the Xbox game disc video. Not sure there is a way to force a pc dvd drive to read the entire disc and even if you did im pretty sure the disc is encrypted. Do you have any custom software on your Xbox? Might be able to at least take a disc image or pull the files off of the disc