which cartridge shell is compatible with the Everdrive 8N?

Discussion in 'Everdrive N8' started by mdmx, Feb 14, 2013.

1. mdmx

mdmx Familiar Face

I'm happy that krikzz made a flashcart for the Famicom 60pin connector. I wonder which cartridge shell does fit for the Everdrive 8N? Famicom games are available in different shells.

2. XiTaU

XiTaU Active Member

He stated in another post i have seen adventure island was the shell he used.
    This is his picture so find one with internals like in img and u will be ok.
    dsc0047fn.jpg

3. indask8

indask8 Rapidly Rising Member

Those famicom cases are hard as hell to open, I have a baseball game, but I can't open it... I know it uses plastic tabs like the above picture, but no... it does not want to open itself.

4. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

Being I obviously will be opening a lot of these I looked for best way to open. I found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgCiAOmgeFc

I bought some quick grips and tried it and it works great. Obviously for people doing it themselves may not want to buy quick grips just for this, but they are $10 on Amazon and I am sure you will find other uses for them in future as well.

5. SkinnyV

SkinnyV Rapidly Rising Member

Wouldn't it make sense for you to invest in a injection mold for making new cart shell for your "deluxe" cart? I wonder how many carts get destroyed to salvage shell for all those deluxe flash carts. They already sell them for nes and snes tho.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  6. Tricky

Tricky Robust Member

Would've thought 3D printing would be cheaper than injection moulding.

7. StoneAgeGamer

Well no cart gets "destroyed" per se because they become much more valuable item. I highly doubt many people are missing the few hundred Madden 64, 2000, etc that were used as donors for the EverDrive64. We aren't using rare or really even desirable games as donors. Many of these are super common sports titles that have marker on them, torn label, etc. The type of stuff you could barely give a way.

In the long run would getting injection molds made save money? Sure. However KRIKzz will soon be making 9 different flash carts. Even if you remove the weaker sellers like the GG and Master. Then you removed the TurboED because we already have kind of shell made for that, you still have 6 carts to get shells made for. Up front injection molding costs would be quite expensive. Since I don't have direct control over the EverDrive project that would be quite a substantial investment for something that could go poof tomorrow if something happens to KRIKzz. That being said KRIKzz and I have talked about getting custom shells made, but in the short term using donors is easiest way.

We re-coat our shells for Deluxe and in many cases they come out looking brand new.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  8. StoneAgeGamer

Small run maybe, large run it wouldn't. However 3D printing quality currently pales in comparison to injection molded plastic from what I have seen. Many 3D printed items come out grainy still.

9. SkinnyV

Well, you can already buy brand new nes and snes for 5$ and 6$ a pop individually, probably less in bulk. Crappy games are still games but I guess that's just business. What are you doing with all those orphan pcb btw?

10. StoneAgeGamer

You can? Where? RetroUSB? If they still even sell them, don't expect them to much longer. The last thing they want is people using them for EverDrives. Even if they do still sell them, do you really think they would sell to me to make EverDrive-N8s? If not I would like to know where you can get new NES shells that are good quality.

Also $5 is a lot. I can get donor carts much cheaper. PCBs are either recycled or sometimes we have people who want them for projects and we give them what we have.

I am unsure what you mean by crappy games are still games. Of course they are, and no one wants them. So we are taking games no one gives a crap about (that's why we call them crappy) and make them into something that people do care about and and item that can not only preserve that game, but many other games. I love games. I sell games, but honestly I don't think anyone misses those crappy games and there will never be enough EverDrives sold to ever make a dent in those games numbers. Millions were made. I have a feeling if you saw my basement you would be horrified at what you may see. A lot of crappy game met their end there. I am a serial killer of forsaken games.

11. SkinnyV

You can buy NES shell at retrozone and SNES one can be bought from a user by the name of Pichichi (retroquest) and I know he would be thrilled to sell it in bulk as he always advertise that he is available for wholesale opportunity.Also, I don't see why Bunnyboy wouldn't like selling to you, business is business and that is good money. While I do understand your use of salvaged shell to save money, I still dislike seeing them destroyed. The few times I had to do it made me feel bad about it. I just think that it would be more professional for a legitimate business to use new part. I personally wouldn't paying 2 to 5$ more per product knowing it is all new parts and I'm sure many peoples would feel the same if they were presented with the fact.

Didn't mean on hi-jacking the thread though! Sorry

12. XiTaU

XiTaU Active Member

i really have no gripe killing a $1 common game as they are not needed by me anymore and makeing new shells are still gonna make this game as useless to me anyway.

13. StoneAgeGamer

Thanks for information.

You don't? Really? We are talking about the difference between him selling a $4 shell or a $135 PowerPak. I think he would rather not make that $4 and make it harder for the competition than make $4 off an EverDrive-N8. You are right business is business and I would be shocked if he would be happy to sell a competitor shells. His shells are one of the advantages he has left, I doubt he is going to wave the white flag on the PowerPak. Honestly I wouldn't even insult Bunnyboy by even asking him. It really would be a slap in his face to even ask him.

The shells we use for Deluxe are normally in very good condition (after being cleaned) and are coated with vinyl dye. They usually look brand new when we are done with them. I think of it like people who buy reclaimed wood for their kitchen floors or whatever. There is a piece of retro gaming in many Deluxes and we even point that out in many of our Deluxes with a sticker that says:

I agree it would be nice to have our own shells, but its easy for you to spend someone else's money. I am not saying it will never happen, but for now this is how it is. I don't think you realize what the upfront costs for even as something as simple as a cart shell are.

I have never had a single customer complain about it. You may be the first person I have ever seen even bring it up as an issue. That's not to say you are the only one, but I highly doubt as many people care as you think or at least care enough to not order a Deluxe Edition (assuming they want a Deluxe of course) because of it.

Anyways I agree, lets move on.

14. Starfox8

Starfox8 Member

@SkinnyV

I did a little shopping around for prices on having an N64 cart injection mold made, and the cheapest I found was around the $10K mark. I don't suppose you have a spare ten grand on you?

15. 5432

5432 Rising Member

Finally I put the flashcart in a pirate shell and fits OK.

16. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

I doubt anyone's going to sell enough N8 cart shell to make it worth the $10k Particularly if people only want certain colors. Pink, purple, variety of transparent color, etc.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  17. atreyu187

atreyu187 Intrepid Member

I can attest to that, I got my Super Everdsrive in the mail Saturday and I honestly thought it was brand new till I read it got recoated.

18. SkinnyV

Dunno where you get 10k but Pichichi managed to have the injection mold for his new snes cart (look just like the original shell) for about 3000$ max and now he can have them made very cheap in any color he want. Of course it's not my money nor my business but merely my opinion on destroying video game cart in great number.
    In any case, I know the salvaged and dyed shell from Stoneager gamer look very good, almost new. My concern has never been about the shell looking used. My issue is the same I have with people buying historic coins only to melt them for the metal value.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  19. StoneAgeGamer

Getting injection molds made is expensive. $3000 max? MAX? I think you mean minimum. Depending on size, complexity and quality of the item price can go up quite quickly. Before I even looked into it myself, I asked the product developer over at Hyperkin what he thought a mold for a NES cart shell would cost. This is someone who deals with this type of stuff all the time. He estimated $8K for iron mold and probably $4K for aluminum. Now maybe those numbers aren't exact, but as you see its not chump change either. To gauge a more ambitious product I had an idea for I asked how much the molds for the RetroN3 cost. He said over $20K. This isn't a flat rate process. Do you not think we have not looked into it?

No one ever said new shells will never be made, its just not something that happens over night because it isn't cheap.

Like many people, you grossly over estimate how many EverDrives (let alone Deluxe) have been made. The flash cart market is a niche of an already niche retro gaming market. There may seem like there is a huge demand, but that's because production numbers are low because no one wants to over commit to a finite market like this.

That's the pretty poor comparison. You are giving too much value to something that barely has any value. yes, who knows maybe 200 years in the future your copy of Madden64 with the name "Jeffrey Higgins" written on it with the torn label and corroded PCB may be worth something, but for now its worth nothing. There were millions of these carts made. What we have turned into EverDrive carts is such a small drop in the bucket it would barely register.

20. SkinnyV

You are right about me probably over estimating the amount of flash cart sold. You have the exact number you are selling and I don't so without anybody giving a number I can only estimate. But in regard to injection mold price, it won't be anywhere what you are expecting. For a simple shell like SNES cart it is well below 10k, 5k top if you shop around. That user who had ordered SNES cart mold and is now selling them actually went back a second time to have a PAL shell mold done too. And this guy ain't rich at all. In any case, the thing now it that the shell are available, somebody else invested in them so destroying cart is no longer a necessity. People looking to buy in bulk quantity would most likely pay the same or even possibly less than donor cart.

As for my coin melting comparison, I find it a perfect example. Some people see something with history, other people see a lump of metal that can be resold for more. Of course, the videogame world won't collapse because of those game being destroyed. But think of this, while you might only destroy 100 or so copy a year, there's at least 50 other individual doing the exact same thing. And there is more and more people doing reproduction and homebrew cart using donor cart.

BTW, does Jeffrey Higgins really exist, or you made up a name for your example Xp

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013