Where can I find a serial cable?

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by Arkanoid, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Arkanoid

Arkanoid Gutsy Member

I've looked around on ebay with no luck. Can anybody show me where to get one?

Also does anybody have a spare blue controller they can sell? I want to make my unit look complete.

2. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

They never came with blue controllers. ;)

The "proper" controller for a DTL-H1001 is an original, grey, digital-only pad.

-hl718

3. Arkanoid

Arkanoid Gutsy Member

Oh thanks. That's what I got with mine. So I guess those are the original pads. Sweet.

4. smf

smf mamedev

There was another thread on here that disputed that, which included pictures of a blue digital pad.

5. defor

defor Intrepid Member

While I can't answer much about the blue pads (other than also having seen numerous blue debug kits with them), I may be able to be of minimal assistance in regards to the serial cable questions-

By serial cable- do you mean the Playstation Link Cable SCPH-1040?
    There were a number of 3rd party clones of this back in the day, most still can be found under around 10$ on ebay and elsewhere- they seem to rarely show up anywhere else though.. game link mode was not too popular as it required twice the playstations and twice the tv's... in addition, there was no round-robin networking to support over 2 separate systems, unlike the PS2's firewire link mode.

Alternately, if you mean the Yaroze Communication Cable DTL-H3050, there's two distinct options-

1) Building your own- IIRC the old NOT Yaroze and Hitmen pages have suitable schematics

2) The Interact Sharklink kit's serial cable doubles for the 3050 perfectly - this is what I use on my Green debug with the modified yaroze disc at work rather than taking the yaroze there, and I'd recommend it highly.

In terms of adapting the serial to specific systems- I've had no problems using the following:

Serial to Mac: I prefer the Palm Pilot dark grey adapters as they have proper full pinout

Serial to USB: PL-2303 chipset based adapters are the easiest to get working with ANYTHING, and they keep their drivers very up to date- Had a little issue with them in Win7, but in the end, was able to get CW for Yaroze running with minimal hassle. I'd suggest monoprice.com:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031104&p_id=2276

are the adapters I use as they will connect right onto the end of either cable solution with minimal difficulty.

Serial to Wireless: I've had some luck with bluetooth serial port adapters, but can't remember which I had been using..

In all of these solutions, I cannot express the importance of having spare DB-9 gender benders and extenders enough!

6. H360

H360 Familiar Face

HUGE bump but I have an original and new serial cable if anyone is interested. I got 2, one is mine :)