When modding goes bad

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by jlosacco, Jan 10, 2017.

1. wanszai

wanszai Rising Member

Ooo it was about 15 years ago, I would have been early twenties. I know it gave me and my buddy a ton of ball ache and we knew going in it wasn't the most supported mod you could do, I think only XBMC and maybe mame utilised the extra ram.

It was a fun experience and to be totally honest and as corny as it sounds, it was a joyous moment to see it boot with full 128mb of ram. I thought it was worth it for that, but in practicality probably not.

2. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

These days people use 128mb for running Chihiro games, and Coinps.

3. phillip

phillip Active Member

When I first started modding, to save money I used wire from some CAT5 cable. It was stiff copper, and a huge pain to work with. It repelled solder. To complicate matters, I didn't have any flux, just solder with a rosin core.

So I try to s-video mod my 32X and everytime I get the CAT5 wire soldered to the correct pin (fairly precise work, mind you), as I'm trying to finish up the mod, the wire moves slightly. Because it's so stiff, the solder connection breaks, taking a bit of the pin with it each time, until finally, there's no pin left and my 32X is now essentially incapable of outputting any video whatsoever. Rookie mistakes across the board and I lost a 32X.

To make things worse, I tossed it, not even thinking that I should keep it around for parts! >.<

Happy ending though: My current s-video modded 32X works like a charm!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    DeChief likes this.
  4. Nully

Nully Dauntless Member

You're supposed to use an old IDE cable in times of desperation!

5. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

Pfft, I'm sure 10 gauge wire works great in these old consoles. The key is to use an arc welder!

6. Nully

Nully Dauntless Member

Don't give him any ideas... :p

MonkeyBoyJoey likes this.