When modding goes bad

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by jlosacco, Jan 10, 2017.

1. thebigman1106

thebigman1106 Spirited Member

tried to do a cex2dex covertion to a 40gb ps3.....bricked it. much to pleasure of the mrs cos the fan was load as a jet engine.

jlosacco likes this.
  2. rcade

rcade Member

I had done electronics repair for years, but was completely unprepared to solder in a PS2 mod chip with standard soldering tools. What a nightmare. At some point, I dripped some solder on one of those tiny SMD chips and connected about a hundred traces together. I think I finally got it all cleaned up, but the mod never worked. I decided then that SMD work with non-SMD tools and no magnification is not wise or maybe even possible.

I also have bricked a Wii by installing the stuff out of order, or the wrong versions...

jlosacco likes this.
  3. miloxydia

miloxydia Rapidly Rising Member

A few years back I thought I fucked up an N64 RGB mod and put the board in my scrap pile, always assumed the video encoder was toast.

Managed to fix the damage and get the RGB working, but it took 3 years to find I could fix it(This is why I now always look over everything)

Worst lasting damage was re-capping an SNES and ripping off a trace. rip

4. Pingu

Pingu Rising Member

I haven't broken anything permanently by modding it but I did lift two traces on my dreamcast when I changed the bios. Had to do some patching for that. I also botched socketing the bios on my Neogeo AES ages ago, apparently damaged a trace that I couldn't see visually. I had to sit with with data sheets for the ROM and M68000 and continuity test the buss and then make a patch.

edit:
    Here are some pictures of the Dreamcast mod:
    [​IMG]
    might have been only one pad/trace i lifted but it went to a via under the chip. Had to patch it on the other side of the board:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    modrobert likes this.
  5. MrMario2011

MrMario2011 Robust Member

No idea why, but for some reason the original PlayStation I have the absolute worst success rate with (I think 50%). I've done soldering work on many other game systems with multiple different mods such as the Genesis, SNES, N64, Xbox, Xbox 360, Nomad, and more. Hell, even the PSOne I have a 100% success rate with, but half the time I have screwed up the original PlayStation!

First murdered PlayStation - Went in with almost no soldering skills, no technique, everything I did was cringeworthy and wrong. Nothing was sticking onto the system, ended up flooding a resistor off the board that I was supposed to solder to. System would turn on and spin up games but no A/V. Salvaged the modchip out of it later and trashed the rest of the console, huge disappointment as it was my childhood PlayStation from my cousin.

Second murdered PlayStation - I believe this one I had flooded one of the pads off the board accidentally. Maybe my iron was too hot? Not sure, but these systems feel a bit too fragile. This one booted up but did not spin any discs. Trashed.

Third murdered PlayStation - Don't remember what I did to this one, I just remember by the end it wasn't working.

6. modrobert

modrobert Rising Member

I ripped out several PCB traces on a GameCube drive when trying to remove a "quick soldered" xenoGC install. Really fucked up the board, thought it was a goner.

After calming down a bit, and finding out where the missing traces went, I soldered wires and ended up with what could be my best trace repair work ever, so the experience balanced out somehow in the end.

Never give up, never surrender.

7. Pikmin

Pikmin Fiery Member

I killed my Super Mario RPG cart while trying to convert it to PAL, TriMesh helped me bring it back to life with a PAL donor cart

8. sp193

sp193 Well Known Member

In 2012, my first SCPH-10000 failed. I got some remote instructions from l_Oliveira on how to fix it, but after repeating the fix for a while (i.e. 2 days), I tore a pad. It didn't end there, but ended when I also lost one of the SMD capacitors near the RDRAM. :/
    During the process of resoldering the resistors along the SIF/GIF, some of the resistors popped off and I replaced them. That wasn't really a problem until l_Oliveira discovered that the fault might have been unrelated after all. But if I had more experience on working with SMD components, well... I guess that things might have been different.

In 2013, my second SCPH-10000 developed similar faults as the first one. After attempting the resolder the stuff on the SIF/GIF again (this time, with no mistakes), the set was kept in its box because I didn't dare to try to desolder the clock generator (which has 6 legs lol).

In 2014, I ruined my first SCPH-10190 due to rage (smashed soldering iron into the loose PCMCIA connector legs) and damaged my SCPH-15000's PC CARD connector by jamming the faulty card into it.

Thankfully, it seems that only the plastic housing of my SCPH-15000's PC CARD connector was damaged, so only the faulty network adaptor was damaged.
    That was probably my very last attempt to service any hardware on my own because I realized that I never had the capabilities to work on such hardware (SMD stuff) in the first place. Not just because I was angry with other stuff in life back then. :/

So I now have 2 junk SCPH-10000 consoles and one SCPH-10190 that are unusable. Not sure what to even do with them lol.
    It seems like a waste to just throw them out, although that might be their fate.

rama likes this.
  9. famicomboy

famicomboy Active Member

LOL!!

10. mettleramiel

mettleramiel Spirited Member

I got a Saturn mod chip before I knew anything about soldering so I just used electrical tape to hold all the wires in place. One wire attached to one leg on a chip so it constantly would come undone during gameplay and crash the system. I eventually got brave and tried to solder it and quickly dropped a giant blob over a dozen legs. I was at least smart enough to not turn on the system until I cleaned it up, but I was not aware of solde braid or solder suckers so I just chipped away at it. I promptly wrecked the Saturn.

Luckily, I had a spare Saturn and this time I got a friend to help out and teach me a little about soldering

11. Zandengoff

Zandengoff Rising Member

Luckily I got into PS2 hacking after the independence software exploit. Don't think I could have coped with PS2 modchips, those things look crazy, they have what 20 wires on them?

12. pr0cess0r

pr0cess0r Spirited Member

yes lots of wires its fun to install!

13. Taijigamer2

Taijigamer2 Robust Member

During my early days of hardware modding I fortunately came across an Xbox 360 still on blades dash. After successfully applying the band-aid that is the 'reheat' trick, for 0110 error (I won't call it a reflow because it couldn't be further from it). I promptly jtagged it (happy days). Wasn't the neatest soldering but it was my first time. I was using a cheap 40w iron, bleh!

Surprise suprise, after a month the RROD returned. So I set about removing the jtag wiring with my 40w iron and managed to float a 0402 resistor. Your soldering skills definitely improve when painfully trying to resolder a 0402 component to a circuit board with a 40w £3 soldering iron.

In the end I purchased a 25w micro iron and succeeded but I never fixed the RROD.

I look back at the silly mistakes I made in the early days and laugh. Sometimes it's good to learn through mistakes but other times a little research and practice can save a lot of heart ache.

14. NeC5552

NeC5552 I eat lemons. Like seriously,I really eat lemons.

I think I have a entire graveyard of broken PS1s,PS2s and Xboxes in the closet. And a bunch of PC motherboards too. Not even kidding.

I also managed to somehow break even some favourite systems I've had over the time. Notable examples are MM3 chipped PS1 (grey) that would work with the lid open, no spring needed, a ONECHIP modded PSone slim (I'll never forgive me for this - I always prefer the NTSC boot screen over the cut-in-half PAL boot screen), my first TSOP'd v1.4 (not a big loss as I now have three Xboxes but still) and a pre-modded v7 PS2 with Modbo 760 on which fuses blew. (and I also broke the chip long time after).

I still remember the funny time when I finally got a good Kemot 30W soldering iron and soldered in my first PS1 modchip without messing up.
    I had a good time smashing the cheap (not even Radioshack-level in terms of quality) 40W soldering irons I had. :)

15. AndehX

AndehX You got boost power!

I can honestly say I've never completely broken anything since I started modding stuff. I've lifted a trace here and there and pulled a via once or twice while desoldering, but I've always been able to repair it. Lifted the wrong leg of a chip while region modding a SNES, but I soldered it back down and lifted the correct pin. That's about the worst I've done.
    My soldering skills have increased substantially in the last year or so. I'd say I'm not far off Jason's (GameTechUS) level :p
    A few examples of recent mods i've done:
    2017-07-06 15.56.06.jpg 2017-07-11 19.42.51.jpg 2017-07-11 12.34.56.jpg
    If I've learned one thing over the last couple of years since I got into modding, it's that a good soldering iron and generous use of flux makes all the difference sometimes.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  16. Marmotta

Marmotta Intrepid Member

Even when I was using the cheapest soldering iron I could possibly find, I've always tended to stick to jobs that I feel are within my abilities, so I haven't really messed up anything whilst modding, the worst results being that the mod just didn't work.

I find that the point when I'm going to make the most damage is usually during disassembly, particularly if it's the first time I'm taking something apart. Recent victims have been a New 2DS XL volume slider and an iPhone 7 LCD ribbon cable.

17. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

I had an Sony xperia play that had a shorted PA ic.. wasn't paying attention and popcorned the board