1. We live again. All extra functionality removed for now. Search may be broken as may be other things. With love, ASSEMbler.

What's up Assembler?

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction Forum' started by Spaceman, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Spaceman

Spaceman Member

Hello everyone!
    Some of you may have seen me posting over on OG during the long server downtme. Been away for awhile and finally reconnected to the internet to find that beloved Assembler is back on it's feet!

I've been a lurker on here for 4 or so years now, and since this community has given so much to me I thought it'd be unfair to continue to hide in the shadows, so here I am.

Avid PS1 historian, I grew up on the big bloody grey thing, smashing boxes and urns and picking up gems and fruits, safe to say instead of fading away and being a fond memory, I'm stuck with it for life! :D Always finding some new documentation or learning something about it, is very fascinating.

I'm also the biggest Crash Bandicoot fan on the planet, not a thing about the orange marsupial I can't tell you, trust me. :p

Apart from that I play competitive fighters (Melee and Tekken 7 currently), am an amateur writer, and waste too much time tinkering with old consoles and tripping over wires. :eek:

Here's to Assembler, and for many more years spent sharing and discovering with all of you!

2. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Welcome! PS1 is great. Home to one of my top 5 games, Silent Hill. How do you feel about the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy Remaster?

3. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015 Staff Member

Welcome to the forums. Glad you finally decided to join.

4. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Welcome! Always nice to see this kind of enthusiasm towards the hobby. I'm sure you'll fit in just fine :)

5. Spaceman

Spaceman Member

Haven't been able to play it yet as I'm slowly saving funds for a PS4. Very excited to play it, knew about the Coco reveal way before it came out. Plus it seems they're adding a level or two post-release due to another trophy leak (my entire being is screaming STORMY ASCENT!) There are some things that slightly irk my purist blood though. They unified Crash's jumps and "gravity" across all three games (using a mix of gravity data from CB2/3) which I dislike as there are some jumps that just cannot be utilised anymore in CB1/2. Not only that, I'm hearing tell that they removed the ever infamous Red Gem skip.

My gripes aside, they pale in comparison to my peaked excitement. I've been waiting nearly half my life for a new Crash game so I will of course systematically destroy every single crate, or die multiple times trying.

Indeed, there are a swell number of enthusiastic lads within this cozy forum. I'll settle down nicely. :p

6. miloxydia

miloxydia Rising Member

PS1 Historian.... do you know much about the PS1 in the Russian market? (serious question, not sarcastic)

Essentially they were sold "new" with mod chips preinstalled and you'd buy burnt discs in Russian for cheap. They did officially enter the Russian market, but never in Russian. And who would pay what was an astonomical amount in the 90s for a legit game when there's a "russian" translated copy available for the equivalent for $1 that would run on your console?

The last time I was in the former soviet union I bought a CIB soviet mega drive for 40 lari. l (probably torn off).)

IMy Russain-pirated versions are PAL, but maybe someone can convert them? Most russia consoles were PAL region but there could be a magical clone that was NTSC.

7. Spaceman

Spaceman Member

I don't know as much about that market as some of the other members on the site (So if any of my information is innacurate, PLEASE chime in and tell me otherwise), but since most major publishers wouldn't sell to the Russian market(much like Brazil) or would import low quantities and sell for exorbitant prices, the Russians themselves would pay people to go to E3/TGS/other gaming expos where developers show off their new work to the public and steal the discs to make bootleg russian copies/translations. So a fair few of those Russian bootlegs have slight differences than the legitimate release copies due to that.

Partly because of that we've had a fair bit of game beta builds resurface over the years because the Russians turned those beta copies into bootlegs and sold for cheap, and the discs or data eventually escaped the Russian networks one way or another. One of the PS1 Oddworld games and Medievil 1 are some of the few unearthed from bootleg Russian thefts.

Since it was so cheap to manufacture CD's, and once good Old Crow developed the secrets of the modchip, they simply put 2 and 2 together enmasse (further reducing the cost to produce) and then everyone could play. it's a huge part of the reason why Russians have so much love for the PS1, because other than terrible dial-up CS 1.6 matches on then-outdated Pentiums, there wasn't much else on their market in terms of videogames due to no one supplying to them. Even bootleg carts afaik were harder to come by, but for the PS1, it was as simple as having a few spare CD's and a burner.

You can convert those PAL disc images to NTSC format, but it might be a little wonky. No one apart from the Russians know what type of hacks they produced to translate or edit the original images. There could be a small handful of NTSC units but since the format for Russia was PAL at the time, it was far easier on the producers and easier on the end consumer if they just imported/built PAL units. Don't forget, some of their TV's (if not most) would only be able to output a PAL signal, so an NTSC unit would display the image in greyscale if connected.

I hope this giant text wall answered some of your questions. :p

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017