Whats the deal with japanese noodles?

Discussion in 'Japan Forum: Living there or planning a visit.' started by cashonly, Dec 12, 2017.

1. cashonly

cashonly Active Member

Hello, recently i discovered a japanase market near where i live (Eastern Europe).I tried the noodles and they are very hot. Don't get me wrong, i love them, but why do they must be so hot? Also, tried the sticky rice cookie, it was very good. Hope that the taste resembles the one of fresh cookies (the one i tried was from the fridge).

2. AtomizerZero

AtomizerZero Intrepid Member

In my experience, there's always an alternative that isn't hot. Also, they usually have the spices in a separate sachet. Got any pictures of the packing for the noodles you bought?

3. Gizmo613

Gizmo613 Active Member

Because we Asians love spicy food. Its a part of our food culture.

4. dr.slump

dr.slump Rapidly Rising Member

If you think Japanese noodles are hot, you should try noodles from......any other country.

5. Gizmo613

Gizmo613 Active Member

Look up the Korean spicy noodle challenge. That had me sweating for a good minute or two.

6. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

I had seafood udon for the first time not to long ago and I fell in love with it. I have never had food trigger a memory, but the whole time I am eating this I am remembering when I was a kid sitting on a dock during the rainy part of February fishing. It was awesome.

7. cashonly

cashonly Active Member

yes i have:

Attached Files:

8. AtomizerZero

AtomizerZero Intrepid Member

9. dr.slump

Those are all Korean

10. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Hot as in spicy? Japanese noodles aren't spicy in my experience, Japanese aren't as into spicy things as much as other asian cultures.

And what on earth is a sticky rice cookie?

11. dj898

dj898 Site Supporter 2015

sticky rice cookie? closest thing that comes to mind is mochi but that's not a cookie?

and instant ramen are pretty much always spicy other than few exception.
    there is cheesy version as well as mild version which is very similar to the Japanese woodon with dashi and all...

if you want the Japanese ramen go the ramen shop to eat the real thing. :)
    and if you want non spicy one you can always get the instant ramen noodles alone with dashi kit you can make yourself.

For me since I'm lazy I just use the stuff from shop to make soup and dump the noodles after soaked in boiling water for few minutes... :p

DeChief likes this.
  12. dr.slump

I'm guessing sticky rice cookies are Korean as well...

There used to be a "Japanese" supermarket in London run by Koreans, most of the stuff was Korean too.

13. dj898

over here they are usually called Asian grocery although you can tell they are Korean from the stuff they are stocking.
    well there's a place called the Tokyo Mart here in Sydney run by Japanese and sell 90% Japanese goods plus mix of Korean and Chinese stuff... :)

14. cashonly

cashonly Active Member

mochi is not a cookie? in the picture i've posted it is mochi indeed. verry good taste.
    the noodles i have acces to, are the ones in the pictures. didnt know they are korean.

15. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

Those are all Korean noodles, not Japanese. Also those are the super spicy noodles they always use in food challenges (although unless you have the 2x spicy, they are not as bad as those YouTubers pretend). I love them, but they are definitely spicy for the sake of being very spicy, not just normal Korean-style noodles.

16. abveost

abveost Peppy Member

So weird how those Korean noodles labeled "THAT'S CRAZY HOT....VOLCANO" are hot. And Japanese to boot.

17. Neo-Alec

Neo-Alec Rapidly Rising Member

Instant ramen is a whole aisle in Korean stores. It's like an American ceral aisle. I love spicy food, but a lot of the ramen is a stomach ache waiting to happen.

Is anyone else's city going through a ramen renaissance lately? We've had some many new ramen restaurants pop up in thr past year. There used to be few options.

18. subbie

subbie Guardian of the Forum

If you wan't less spicy instant ramen, stay away from korean brands (hard to tell when you don't know but when you learn it's easy to tell korean and japanese text apart). I find korean brands tend to lean more on the spicy route and japanese tends to be less so. Also when korean food says spicy, they aren't lying. =)

19. pato

pato Resolute Member

In Brazil there is a imported korean brand called Nongshim, their products are very spicy.

20. dj898

that's one of the oldest instant ramen maker in S. Korea dating back to 60s/70s?