What's currently the best RGB mod for the PC Engine?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by FireAza, Apr 17, 2013.

1. ddogrul44

ddogrul44 Newly Registered

Hello. I'm actually considering obtaining one of these kits. Unfortunately, I have almost zero technical capability. Can anyone recommend someone that might be interested in installing it for me? Of course, I will compensate them for their time and effort. Thank you.

2. mickcris

mickcris Site Supporter 2014,2015

Where are you located?

3. ddogrul44

ddogrul44 Newly Registered

Virginia

4. Marcus9199

Marcus9199 Member

Love this amp so far it's in my tg16, super grafx, duo-r, and my SNES mini.

5. crans

crans Rising Member

Love this amp and have used it many times over on every turbo pce hardware. Some like duo do have jailbar issues and use of 22uf caps fixes the issues. Junk china psu will cause issues on any mod.

Screen shift. This is a issue with sony brand across the board from composite to rgb and component mod. It is what it is and without a sync shifter or xrgb your sol if your pvm wont allow it to move.

6. spawnhsop

spawnhsop Newly Registered

Hey guys, just signed up based on this thread. This mod looks great! I've been wanting to do an RGB mod on my TG16 for a while now, but I really don't want to do an internal mod. I was thinking about doing a project box that connects to the back of my TG16 via the rear pinout port and then has the 9-pin connector. I have a 9-pin to SCART cable for my Genesis, and it works fantastic.

Do you guys think this is possible, or is there anything that i definitely need to hack into inside the console that I can't get to from the back port?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

7. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

There are some devices like what you described being made right now. Not sure if they are out yet but if not, it should be soon. All of the needed RGBS signals are available on the expansion port along with analog Left/Right audio for stereo. Make sure to use C-Sync as the sync source since sync on composite video can create artifacts like checkerboard patterns and whatnot. C-Sync is the purest analog sync signal on there and won't give you these problems.

spawnhsop likes this.
  8. spawnhsop

spawnhsop Newly Registered

Great, thanks so much. I did see the

db Grafx Booster, but they are about 1 month out until stock shows up.

9. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

Where can i get one of these RGB kit boards??

10. snobgamergr

snobgamergr Spirited Member

Resurfacing the thread as I'm thinking of getting a pc engine. I'm searching of a way to make it display the best rgb picture.
    I scrolled through the thread and to tell you the truth, I got a little confused . Which amp should I construct (or buy)?
    If I remember correctly there used to be someone on the forum selling an amp , but can't find that post.

Also, a kinda dumb question. I I try to connect a pc engine (or turbo-duo) without any mods on a pal TV, is it gonna display anything?

11. lechuck333

lechuck333 Newly Registered

I use this board by Viletim: http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=211&rn=556&action=show_detail. Same guy who's made rgb mods for NES, N64, and Atari 2600. This is more of a universal rgb board, but he designed it with the pc-engine/tg-16 in mine. I literally just installed it yesterday in my TG-16. Incredibly easy and picture looks amazing. I'm a real amateur modder (as in basically done nothing) and I was able to do it relatively quickly and had it work on the first try.

12. MachineCode

MachineCode The Devil

Is there any downside to using the Viletim board in a case off the rear connector vs putting it inside the console itself? I got a set of the expansion port connectors that should be arriving here today and wanted to make my own version of the grafxBooster that used BNC outputs and this amp circuit but worry about introducing unnecessary interference. Eventually I'd like to add a save system like the Turbo Booster Plus had but first I wanna get the video part right.

13. lechuck333

lechuck333 Newly Registered

That shouldn't be a problem. I've seen people put Tim's board in a TG-16 CD addon, which takes RGB from the expansion port. What you want to do shouldn't be an issue.

14. MachineCode

MachineCode The Devil

Nice. I got 4 connectors in the mail yesterday so i'm gonna see what I can muster. Eventually I hope to make one that has a passthrough to the CD drive so you get modless RGB CD functionality. But for now I just wanna play Hu-Card games without using RF and without modding the console.

15. snobgamergr

I made an external cable with an amp similar to mickris. For some strange reason I get no blue colour when on rgb mode. Composite works great though. I checked the connections, even made new pluggable cables .
    On the scart side I didn't solder the resistor on both pins, only on pin 16 , as I wanted to force 4:3 mode for my LCD tv.

16. Ergot_Cholera

Ergot_Cholera Keep your shirt on.

Check all your soldering and make sure everything is connected where it should be. 4:3 requires 12v on pin 8 of the scart connector but the EXT BUS doesn't output 12v. You can manually force 4:3 on your TV.

17. snobgamergr

Checked my wiring and it seems that the amp isn't working in both the input and output of the rgb lines when I run a continuity test.5v and gnd work fine though. I remember though that before soldering the cables on the amp, the rgb lines were working properly..

18. snobgamergr

I think I found the source of the problem. The resistors are dead. Is it worth trying to replace them? I don't have the appropriate tools to desolder them though..
    But I'm still having issues. I soldered the rgb wires directly to the scart socket. From what I read online, I should get a dim dark rgb image.
    I still get clear composite though!

19. fluxcore

fluxcore Spirited Member

I use viletim's avdriver in a project box off the back of the expansion port, works great.

Where can you get expansion port connectors though? I'm just using blocks of dupont connectors.

20. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

http://www.samtec.com
    SSW-123-02-T-T-RA
    or
    SSQ-123-02-T-T-RA