What's currently the best RGB mod for the PC Engine?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by FireAza, Apr 17, 2013.

1. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Woah! Just noticed that ninja-post just now! Sorry about that!

That was the problem, I couldn't find any 22uF non-polarized capacitors. Hence the current situation of using a polarized 22uF capacitor and a 0.1uF non-polarized capacitor.

Yes, that "mess" is easier for me to understand :p

In case you don't know, I'm no engineering student, so
    A) I have no idea who to go with, since I have no idea what changing a part will do!
    B) I have no idea what you're talking about in your last paragraph!

No, you're right, I have the positive side (the side with the stripe) pointing to the mini-DIN connector, because I thought that you're suppose to point capiactors towards the output?

Ah, OK, so it should look more like this?
    [​IMG]
    Since I've rotated the DIP adapter, that means the polarized capacitor is around the wrong way now, right? So I should flip it around?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  2. micro

micro Member

You've rotated the green SOIC->DIP adapter but the orientation of the IC on top of the adapter is wrong.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The small circle on the IC marks where pin 1 is located. The notch of the white outline on the adapter indicates on which side pin 1 is.
    You can see clearly that pin 1 is connected to square pad in the upper-left corner.

The negative leg of the polarized cap should be connected to GND (pin 5; lower-right corner), the positive leg to pin 4 (Vcc (or VS+ on the pic above); lower-left corner).

3. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Yeah, the picture of the THS7314 I used didn't have the notch on it, so I had no idea which way it should be facing :\

Okay, here's a new diagram:
    [​IMG]
    I've rotated the THS7314 around, re-wired the ground and voltage wire and I've moved the position of the two capacitors (I've both flipped their orientation and moved them directly to the legs of the THS7314 to avoid the hassle of having to solder 2 wires to the same solder point)

4. ApolloBoy

ApolloBoy Gutsy Member

Your two decoupling caps should be placed in the respective holes on the adapter board, not on the THS7314 itself.

5. micro

micro Member

And that polarized cap is still wrong. The negative side (the one with the "- - -"-stripe) must be connected to GND. And GND is (still) pin 5, lower-right corner :wink-new:

(EDIT: Yes, this is another ninja post ^^ Beeing a noob on this board it seems my posts are checked by a moderator before they get posted. Apparently this can take some time...)

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  6. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

I just figured that would save me from the tricky act of soldering two wires to the same solder point. I can see myself trying to heat up the solder to put the second wire in, and the first wire springs out of place. But if I were to wrap the wire around the leg of the resistor, then solder the entire package in, that would probably work.

7. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Dammit micro! You ninja-posted me again!

OK, so I've moved the two cap back to the solder point and flipped the orientation of the polarized capacitor (I always thought the side with the stripe with the positive side!), here's a new diagram:
    [​IMG]
    All look good? I've got the parts now, so I'm ready to go!

relo999 likes this.
  8. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Okay, I finished soldering everything together, but it's not working. I get audio, but a black screen. It seems like everything is connected (it's hard to tell, since capacitors can't be tested for continuity with a multimeter), so I'm not sure why I'm getting a black screen. Did I solder the amp in backwards or something? Here's some photos if that will help:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ApolloBoy

ApolloBoy Gutsy Member

Is the THS getting 5V and ground? It looks to me like you have 5V on the negative lead of your 22 uF cap and I can't make out what you have on the other lead of it or what you have connected to the 5.1 M ohm resistors. I should add that it would be better to properly color code your 5V and ground wires, if you have them be both white and black it can lead to confusion.

10. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Here's a photo from the other side if that helps
    [​IMG]
    I've checked the wiring like you suggested, using the diagram micro posted as a guide. My THS doesn't have a indentation or a notch on it, but it does have a stripe, so I've assumed that this indicates which end is the "front". This would mean that I indeed have 5V and ground swapped around! So I need to swap these two wires around, but this would also mean that the signal in and signal out are also wrong right?

11. ApolloBoy

ApolloBoy Gutsy Member

The stripe indicates the top of the chip, the pins parallel with it are the input and output for channel 1.

12. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

You were right! Swapping the ground and 5v wires got the picture to display! But the colors are slightly messed up:
    [​IMG]
    It looks like one of the colors (red from the looks) isn't coming though. From the looks of things, all the wires are properly attached, and in terms of the THS, it looks like input 1, 2 and 3 are correctly linked to output 1, 2 and 3. I've double-checked the pins at the mini-DIN connector, the wires are connected to the correct pins (as as my diagram). Any clues?

13. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

*EDIT* Sorry, double-posted instead of editing the original post :\

DERP! I had two of the wires wrong! Blue to green instead of blue to blue and green to green! Picture still isn't right though:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  14. ApolloBoy

ApolloBoy Gutsy Member

Try reflowing the pins on the THS going to the adapter board, sometimes it looks like a pin is soldered on when it actually isn't. In this case it looks like either the input or output pin for your red signal isn't soldered properly.

15. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Agree with Apollo - one of your colour connections is bad

16. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Okay, I've re-flowed the solder on the legs of the THS. The red wires seems perfect (I get continuity from the solder points on the adapter to the top of the leg on the THS on both input and output), but the results are still the same as before.

17. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Did you resolder the wires to the adapter too?

Also, are you sure you have the right spot for red input on the pce itself?

18. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Yep. In fact, just now I de-soldered the THS from the adapter, cleaned everything up, then re-soldered it again. Didn't change anything.

Yep, A23 on the EXT port is suppose to be red, you can see in my photos above that's where I've got it soldered to. I haven't mistakenly soldered the wrong wire either, I just checked it with a multimeter, the red wire which is soldered to the non-polarized cap is indeed connected to A23.

I guess I could try soldering the red directly to the Hu6260, but I'm pretty sure that there's nothing wrong with the EXT connector, since everything looks normal when I use the RCA connectors on the interface unit, which connects via the EXT port.

*EDIT* I've got continuity between the red wire attached to the non-polarized cap and leg 49 (red) of the Hu6260, so it would probably be pointless soldering directly to it.

19. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

swap red input and output with blue or green - see if the amp is damaged on that input/output.

20. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Okay, that gives me a red screen and the game doesn't load (no sound).

*EDIT* Swapping the wires back to their original positions now gives me a blue screen and the game doesn't load. WTF?