What was so good about the Neo-Geo?

Discussion in 'Neo Geo Discussion' started by Conker2012, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Sonny_Jim

Sonny_Jim Enthusiastic Member

One thing to point out as well, for arcade operators the machine had a couple of benefits due to it's cartridge based system.

When a machine has been on site for a while, it's takings tend to drop as players get bored of the game, so as an operator you are continually having to buy new titles and shuffle games around sites. So you would have to get a van + man to turn up at site 1, unload new machine, swap them over and drag the old machine back into the van.

With a cartridge based system you could have your tech turn up in a car and have a new game installed in less than 20 minutes. The idea was the same for JAMMA based cabinets, but Neo Geo just made it slightly easier.

2. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

I have thought of getting an aes many times, but I am off put by the fact that even the broken consoles go for a lot. The games are expensive and the heavy hitters I have played via emulator are just mediocre. I have had far more enjoyment out the Sega Saturn. Another thing to remember is there are fake carts floating around which is entirely devastating when you consider the price involved with this scam. Even the mvs adapter to play on an aes is outrageous especially for the parts it's made of. In edition to all these flaws the community is downright venomous.

3. GrizzlyGT

GrizzlyGT Member

Ain't that the truth. I left the original community years ago for this very reason. I met some good people but there are members (who will remain nameless here) that will shit on any opinion or contribution that you make, with little or no consequence from the admins. The sales environment is egregiously hostile, especially for noobs. I almost quit the hobby altogether but I joined a different community that is very supportive and fun. I've been collecting games for almost 30 years and Neo Geo is truly enjoyable for me again.

Aside for that, many Neo Geo games are mediocre, just like many games from the 16-bit era, because they are not aging well. However, I have a great affinity to the console because that is what I grew up with in the arcades. Luckily, I purchased most of my games before the market insanity happened and I only own the games that I truly enjoy, like the Metal Slugs, a few shumps, Samurai Shodowns, etc. I love Big Tournament Golf and Ultimate 11 but those AES games are so rare now that I can't justify paying upwards of $15K for the privilege of owning them. There is no way in hell I would recommend collecting AES games unless you have an unlimited budget and zero common sense. If any noobs are reading this, buy a CMVS, a multicart and some other MVS titles and call it a day.

takeshi385 likes this.
  4. Sonny_Jim

Sonny_Jim Enthusiastic Member

Well, same could be said for any form of retro game collecting. Lost count the amount of times I've had friends say to me 'Why do you play old games when modern games are so much "better"'. But you are right, for the price of a single good AES game you can buy several systems and a whole load of decent games.