What was so good about the Neo-Geo?

Discussion in 'Neo Geo Discussion' started by Conker2012, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Fudge

Fudge Spirited Member

My favorite part was the tech that powered the games. Every game on the neo geo feels like a painting in the fact that everything is drawn so well and looks so good, at least that's how i feel.

2. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

I like the hardware because I understand how it works. And really a lot of the games are just like that.

Think of Tung Fu Hue stage on Fatal Fury Special, when it pans from the rainy sky to the fight area below. Beautiful stuff.

3. Maks

Maks Spirited Member

Another aspect of what made it so good "back in the day" was that arcade operators only needed to order new cartridges to change the games around. The majority of arcade games were not interchangeable, you'd have to order a brand new board, one game per cabinet. Most MVS systems I remember using back then were 4 slots, so an operator could have up to 6 games in one cabinet with a 6-slot board.

To many, the Neo Geo represents some of the best 2D gaming ever and it's hard to disagree. Sure there are some garbage titles on the system and the early titles graphically were pretty weak, but even today Metals Slugs and KOFs are still excellent games. I used to have a big MVS collection and there's something to be said for the simplicity of sitting down to have a round on Neo Turf Masters, or a few rounds of a fighting game compared to the overly complex and lengthy games that are popular today. Although arcade popularity has obviously gone downhill, the Neo Geo lasted 14 years and that's no mistake. If it wasn't for the rampant piracy of the carts, I believe the system could've survived a few more years.

4. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 So long AG and thanks for all the fish!

My favorite aspect is the backgrounds based completely on sprites. Makes it easier to create a "moving background" that is smoother than anything on the Genesis or SNES.

I want a 4 slot CMVS with UNIBIOS and a flash cart if anyone were to ever make one. But then I'd need a RGB set to play since composhit is bad and I still would hate even S vid on it...

5. NinSEGA2

NinSEGA2 Spirited Member

Just keep looking. I happened to spot one and I wasn't even interested in it. I just bought it on a whim, and now I'm enjoying the fact that I did.

Check your local pawn shops, flea markets, retro game/comic book stores, etc.

6. Xeveniah

Xeveniah <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

this sums it up plus the quality of games and graphics were barnunn the best during its time sega genesis nor snes couldn't hold a flame near a far to snk's neo-geo power house

7. Sonny_Jim

Sonny_Jim Enthusiastic Member

Not really, most games that didn't use more than 3 buttons were easily interchangable with JAMMA. I've seen machines where the control panel folds down, allowing the tech to change the game board without having to open up the machine.

8. cyberguile

cyberguile Dauntless Member

What was so good about neo geo ?
    Its price.

9. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 So long AG and thanks for all the fish!

You trying to troll or be funny?

That shit's expensive as fuck now and wasn't any better back in its day.

10. synrgy87

synrgy87 Well Known Member

simple solution : vga converter and a computer monitor ;-)

i've got a 4 slot hopefully on it's way to me, and a 6 slot im currently repairing, i don't think theres a whole lot of hope for a flash car any time soon, but there are the 161-in 1, 120 in 1 etc carts.

a flash cart would be great.

11. cyberguile

cyberguile Dauntless Member

That's exactly what I mean: most of the hype was because of the über expensive price.

12. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

marketing marketing marketing.

13. Tatsujin

Tatsujin Officer at Arms

And others again already had a CD-ROM at home for playing games, and that already two years prior the AES was even released ;)

14. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

No offense but it's very easy to disagree - I remember the Neo Geo launch (well, the imports...) it looked good, played like a brick and the games cost a small fortune. I can think of many, many, many 2D games that weren't on the Neo Geo and were a lot better...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  15. MrKijo

MrKijo Rising Member

AES? Would take a stroke of good luck I think? Seen only a couple in retro stores past few years and kind of ebay prices.

If I ever wanted to get into neo geo I really think consolised MVS is the way to go, if you dont mind about not having collectables.

16. Tatsujin

Tatsujin Officer at Arms

Yeah, the closest that came to the NG during the 16-bit era was the ever so surprising PC Engine.
    And that one was by many peeps not even considered to be a 16-bit machine :boxing:

17. BigAl

BigAl Rising Member

I couldn't afford one at the time but managed to get one when I was older. Even though the latest machines were out, ps2, dreamcast etc. the machine just felt special, probably the controller. I've always preferred 2d games and there were some great ones on the Neo. The huge cartridges added to the appeal for me too.

18. Twimfy

Twimfy Site Supporter 2015

For me it just have to be the sheer amount of effort that has been put into some of the games.

When I owned my AES I became a KOF fanatic (96 probably my favourite). The sprite artwork especially in the backgrounds is incredible and playing it on real hardware seems to make it all the more special.

There's just something about the Neo that is unrivalled by any system, the big cartridges which scream power, the beautiful cases they come in, the sleekness of the machine and perhaps one of the greatest arcade controllers ever manufactured.

Maybe if I'd bought one on launch it wouldn't have been such a big deal, maybe it's all of the history and drama that makes it seem better than it really is but as soon as I have a few pennies to spare, I'll be getting one again.

You can emulate all you want or even get an MVS board, but nothing beats getting one of those big ass cartridges out, sticking it into your AES and firing it up in RGB for the first time...it's almost sexual.

19. HugeCat

HugeCat Active Member

because you can own an aracde game without losing much space in your room and youre only paying 100 to 500 bucks for it if you look it that way.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  20. Falco

Falco Newly Registered

Playing Metal Slug with friends at the arcade is my probably my best memory of it.