What systems do you regret buying/not buying?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Conker2012, Jun 22, 2014.

1. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

I was literally just looking up Cxbx, cause we were talking about Metal Wolf Chaos and I was thinking about seeing if I could play the ROM (I don't feel bad because it's a rare game that costs about as much as a new 360, and only came out in Japan).

2. amiga1200

amiga1200 Dauntless Member

@ blueshogun96.
    agreed, almost.
    the vita was the only handheld console to give me the screw, at least 360 got cracked in a few ways, to do more than sum of parts. :smile-new: (and i counted vita first as it's one of the two consoles i paid money for, 360 was a freebie)
    can't be arsed with corporate associations, not since standards took a shit when CBM died...:( (if anybody calls me a fanboy, GET IT RIGHT FIRST TIME, call me CBM-fanboy! :cocksure: )

3. pixelshader

pixelshader Active Member

I regret buying the new PS3 with the sliding top. I preferred my fat ps3 60g though on shipping it back from Afghanistan it was damaged :(. I pretty much own everything, though I would say I regret not buying a Reg7 dreamcast.

4. Conker2012

Conker2012 Intrepid Member

I came late to the 360 (I'm not sure when, maybe five years ago) and to me it's a great console, with many great games. Yes, most of the games are also on the PS3, but they're not (as far as I know) inferior (or superior!) to the PS3 version, so having them on the 360 isn't a bad thing. And I prefer playing on the 360 to the PS3, as I prefer the 360's joypad.

Anyway, I've only had one 360, and it's never let me down, and I do play on it often. It's never bricked, never scratched a disc (although I play all my games from it's hard drive, and it only accesses the discs to install the games and to check (as an anti-piracy check) if the disc is in before it loads a given game from HD), I've never needed to buy anything else, except for a new controller, and it all works great. Yes, backwards compatibility is often terrible, but that doesn't bother me as I still have my original XBox set up (which I use to not only play XBox games, but also use it as my emulation machine, since it's modded, with a 500GB hard drive, and a lot of great emulators).

5. Conker2012

The PS3 has some great exclusives, but if you already have a 360 and a Blu-Ray player, then I don't think it's worth buying a PS3 for most people (or buying a 360 if you have a PS3). It's not like the previous generation, where both the original XBox and the PS2 had lots of great games that didn't appear on the other console.

I was off work sick when I bought a PS3 to cheer myself up, plus some games (some of them used) - LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2, Resistance 1, 2 and 3, Kill Zone 2 and 3, etc, all games that were PS3 exclusive or I didn't have on the 360, and I really like the machine. Plus it's the only Blu-Ray player I own, and it's great for that. And Unreal Tournament on the PS3 supports some user made mods and levels, unlike the XBox 360 version, which is a fantastic feature.

I use the original XBox as an emulation station, and it's brilliant, but I imagine a Wii is even better, since the Wii is faster and has more memory (RAM, I mean). Do you know if there's an online comparison of the XBox vs. Wii as regards the two console's emulation abilities? It would be interesting to read through, and mught lead to my buying a Wii for emulation.

6. Riki

Riki Peppy Member

I had a 360 for multiplatform games and then bought a PS3. And 360 4 years in the box already (I keep it for Lost Odyssey which I want eventually to beat [packaging rant: http://i.imgur.com/fc6na.jpg]).
    PS3 has much more interesting games (and still receives exclusives).

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  7. blueshogun96

blueshogun96 Robust Member

Coming later to the market is likely going to give you a different view. For emulation, I'd rather use my PC/Mac, personally.

I'm not saying this is your assumption, but why do people assume that I'm a Sony fanboy or that I prefer PS3 because I don't like 360? I never was very interested in PS3, and I'm still not today. It's not because I don't like the console, but I'm generally not interested in this generation of games. The PS2/XB1/GC days were great, but ever since the last generation, I've been losing interest since 2008.

Shogun.

8. Conker2012

I didn't think you were a Sony fanboy (my biggest exposure to fanboys is on Gamefaqs (a great site except for the high ration of braindead fanboy/troll posts) so I know a fanboy* when I see one, and making a list of things they dislike about something (as you did) isn't typical fanboy behaviour - if you'd have said "People who like the XBox 360 are mostly virgins or homos who like first person shooters because of all their pent up anger at the outside world, whereas real gamers go down the PS3 route because it's exclusives are much better than the POS excuses that Microsoft vomit out" then you'd have come across as a PS3 fanboy (albeit one with much better spelling than most fanboys!). Fanboys of all systems are annoying (especially Nintendo or Apple fanboys), but for stupidity the current winners in my eyes are XBox 360/XBox One fanboys, who (on Gamefaqs) refer to PS3/PS4 users as "Ponies" (since Pony rhymes with Sony...), despite it being sort of a complement, since ponies are magnificent, friendly, dignified creatures. If the derogatory term was warthogs, or earthworms or something then it would still be brain-dead and childish, and say such more about the XBox users who say it than the PS3/4 users it's aimed at, but at least it would involve animals who aren't associated with grace and loyalty.

And I agree somewhat about the current generation (well, the last gen. really, since I've not yet played much on the PS4, or at all on an XBox One). The 360/PS3 had some great games, but not many, and the XBox/PS2/Gamecube generation had a *lot* more great games if you ask me. As a first person shooter fanatic, I do think that very few good FPSs have been released in the past ten years, and I hate the dumbing down of FPS games. Most FPS games nowadays are linear so you don't have to think or explore, have a weapon carrying limit, unskippable cutscenes mid level to remind you it's just a game, constant prompts to "Press X to open door" or "Press A to throw switch", recharging health/shields, etc.

This sums the linear problem up well;

fpsleveldesign.png

It's no wonder most almost all of my favourite FPSs are older than a decade. Remember when you had to explore to find the exits or where and how to perform an objective (unlike nowadays, with the games' continual onscreen arrow or other method of pointing you to the objective or exit)? When you didn't get a prompt every time an action was open to you? When if you get injured, you couldn't just hide behind a convenient three foot high wall for a few seconds whilst your health automatically went back up to 100%? When different weapons actually looked different enough so that players who weren't also gun nuts could tell them apart? And when you could, just by looking at a game, tell which one it was?

* Remember when 'fanboy' was a positive (or at least not actually negative) thing? When it just meant a devoted fan, not a narrow-minded, blind bigot who wouldn't have a work said against his favourite game/machine/company/whatever (however justifed the criticism might be), and who constantly slagged off any alternative and anyone who liked the alternative?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  9. Flash

Flash Dauntless Member

Worst purchase - X360, fat models had insane failure rate, for latest model, well, it's better but i don't know how it's possible to get filesystem corrupt during normal shutdown, and it happened to me.