What macs run System 7 natively?

Discussion in 'Computer Gaming Forum' started by awbacon, Dec 17, 2018.

1. awbacon

awbacon Spirited Member

Need to acquire a period powermac that runs OS 7, but trying to find a list of "this computer will run X" for mac is a pain in the ass.

Need something that will run OS 7 for some dev kit software. Original dev kit was installed on an 8100 series Power Mac, but I am not finding many of those available.

I just don't want to spend money and shipping on a mac that wont run OS 7 natively.

Alternatively, has anyone had any luck with an OS 7 emulator? I don't have the dev hardware, just the SDK, and wanted to play around with it minus the hardware

Any help would be greatly appreciated. So many models of mac from that era, its hard to figure out what runs what OS

2. awbacon

awbacon Spirited Member

nevermind. I literally found it a couple minutes after writing this post lol

if anyone has any rec's on emulating it though please let me know. Would rather avoid the cost of sourcing the correct mac before I determine if the SDK will run w/o the hardware present

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  3. teckman02

teckman02 Spirited Member

different macs that I can think of off the top of my hand that ran OS 7 would be the quadra 605, 610, 700, 900, LC 575, 6100 just to name off a few.

if I may ask what are you trying to develop for

4. awbacon

awbacon Spirited Member

I have the 3DO M2 3.1 sdk files I want to test. Unsure if you can launch into the program without the associated hardware to test

5. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Enthusiastic Member

LC575 and 6100 can not install nubus card.....

for M2 card, it better use AV model, etc, 7100AV,8100AV , it good for M2 video out link back Mac Av in, than 1 screen command line and live screen :)

6. abveost

abveost Robust Member

I guess you found the official apple list of what macs run what. They can make it confusing. I use Basilisk when I need to emulate. There may be better things available but it's served me well for many years.

7. awbacon

awbacon Spirited Member

they definitely do make it confusing. Took me a solid hour to find a database of what mac runs what OS natively.

I'll test in Basilisk. I do not have the nubus dev cards, just the last release of the SDK. I want to test if you can run/code/burn iso's w/o the hardware present. If so Ill source a period MAC to play around with it on