What is this? Microsoft branded wireless controller?

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by Blur2040, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Blur2040

Blur2040 Game Genie

Syclopse likes this.
  2. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Reminded me of the Ben Heck mod for the Duke.
    https://www.benheck.com/xbox-360-duke-controller/

Edit:
    This has come up on AG before back in 2012, I'll take some pictures once received. I wasn't going to buy it either as it stated it was missing the battery cover. =)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  3. Blur2040

Blur2040 Game Genie

Ah, figured out exactly what it is just now. Neat. Enjoy.

Syclopse likes this.
  4. Marmotta

Marmotta Dauntless Member

Please do, I'd have bought it myself if he shipped internationally.

5. Syclopse

Syclopse .

More information for those interested in this. I'm guessing the POC stands for "Proof of Concept" on the rear sticker. After buying it I found the post which I recalled viewing years ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey all.

I recently picked up an odd Xbox controller at my local Goodwill (about an hour away from the Microsoft campus), and have been able to find zero information in it. In my search I came across this forum, and I imagine you guys if anyone would have some input.

Pics:
    http://imgur.com/a/2hVRZ

As you can see, the top half is from the Xbox "S" Controller, with two holes drilled for LEDs (one red one white). The bottom however is some kind of custom shell which houses two AA batteries. It also has two holes carved out near the front for what I imagine is an early chatpad connecter. The piece near the top which normally houses the cable, instead has only a smooth black piece of plastic (presumably for whatever wireless transmitter). There are no memory card slots.

There are two stickers on the underside:
    1) "This device has not been approved by the FCC. This device is not, or may not be offered for sale or lease.sale or leasing is prohibited until approved by the FCC."
    2) "POC Dec. 2003
    Gamepad V2 090"

My initial impression is either a very early 360 prototype, or potentially a wireless controller for the first Xbox. Any insight that could be provided would be greatly appreciated :cool-new:

Anthony817 likes this.
  6. Syclopse

Syclopse .

I almost think it's the same exact controller just from the spacing of the white LED from the RS. Middle picture is the recent eBay auction.

Xbox Controller S WiFi Nov 2012 AG Vance 1.jpg July 1 2018 Controller S WiFi Ohio .jpg Xbox Controller S WiFi Nov 2012 AG Vance 2.jpg

7. Syclopse

Syclopse .

On another note, the Alpha G5 towers originally shipped with 2 wired Controller S with USB adapters and a USB hub in February 2004. This wireless controller is from December 2003.

8. Anthony817

Anthony817 Resolute Member

Very interesting. Too bad there was no dongle that has been found with it. Very early prototype stuff for sure, but it seems like probably too early for 360 prototypes as I would think that would have been a project not begun until early 2004 or at the least early planning stages.

9. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Xenon began in February 2003, an early controller concept 10 months later doesn't seem out of the question.
    In early February 2004, the G5 Alpha kits were shipping with 2 S controllers, 2 months after this controller was assembled.

What is the frequency Kenneth?

Edit:
    Well there's hope for everyone who would want one of these, the controller I received is #122 and the above controller from 2012 is #90. So there may be a 100 of these floating around if they survived.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Anthony817 likes this.
  10. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Xenia Gamepad V2

WP_20180709_17_28_42_Pro.jpg

Anthony817 and Marmotta like this.
  11. ToxicMedz

ToxicMedz Enthusiastic Member

Wow that's a lot more polished inside than I was expecting!

Also find the name interesting considering there's a xbox 360 emulator called Xenia 360.

Anthony817 and Syclopse like this.
  12. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Here is the press release of the partnership between Microsoft and RTX that was announced after the Xbox 360 was revealed. I guess they had to keep it under NDA until the product was released.

NOERRESUNDBY, Denmark, May 25 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- RTX Telecom , a leading independent supplier of advanced wireless communication solutions, today announced that it has been chosen by Microsoft as a development partner for the wireless interface to the game pad for Xbox 360(TM) video game system from Microsoft. Microsoft will be the first console manufacturer to ship wireless game pads as standard with its hardware.

The wireless game pad will allow Xbox 360 users to enjoy an unmatched wireless gaming experience with the same speed and reliability as with a wired connection to the console while giving the players full mobility without the need of cables.

The wireless interface solution on Xbox 360 has been defined by Microsoft and optimized by Microsoft and RTX. Under the direction of Microsoft, RTX has also been responsible for some of the hardware development tools and the test equipment supply for the mass production.

The wireless interface solution consists of a wireless base module integrated into the Xbox 360 console connecting with up to four wireless game pads that work as user interfaces for playing games. Linking up to four consoles via an Ethernet/LAN connection allows wireless multi-player gaming with 16 players at a time.

Committed to being the market leader in this next generation, Microsoft has high requirements of its partners.

"With the National Semiconductor ASIC, choosing RTX Telecom for developing the wireless game pad was a natural choice. Few other companies have the ability to meet our specifications and time requirements," said Richard Lum, Xbox Program Manager, Microsoft. "The RTX engineers have a strong track record in implementing the core wireless technology selected for Xbox 360."

13. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Here you can see the RTX stamping instead of Microsoft on the circuit board. I cleaned up the corrosion from the battery leak and the unit powers on and tries to sync.

WP_20180709_17_20_52_Pro.jpg

Anthony817 and Stipo360 like this.
  14. ToxicMedz

ToxicMedz Enthusiastic Member

Ouch that battery acid corrosion! D;

15. Anthony817

Anthony817 Resolute Member

Wow congrats on receiving it! Too bad the battery was stored inside it for many years.

Thanks for the detailed pictures of the PCB, really looks almost like it could have been ready for retail. Or not far from it if we ever got an official wireless og xbox controller. Too bad they pulled the plug on the Xbox so early and nothing like this was ever produced, but with Nvidia keeping the GPU chips the same price the lifetime of the console Microsoft lost too much money on it so it is understandable why they killed it off and pushed the 360 out so soon.

16. MoonTar

MoonTar Site Supporter 2014

Microsoft never released several items that were ready for retail. Such as the chatpad and Duke mic adapter which were both fully working in prototypes but never saw retail.

17. teckman02

teckman02 Spirited Member

Chat pad I’ve never seen that anyone have pics of one

18. Syclopse

Syclopse .

19. Syclopse

Syclopse .