What is this? Is it real or fake?

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Ligero_miguel, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Ligero_miguel

Ligero_miguel Active Member

Hi guys! :)

I bought this disc with some friends and we were wondering if it could be a scam, also we don't know what kind of content it could have. Could it be a prototype? or is it something press related? I'd appreciate your opinion.

Regards!

Attached Files:

2. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

At least insert the disc into a PC and look at the files on it? The timestamps may indicate when it was made. You should also play the game to see if there are any visual diffferences and limitations.

But because anybody could have burned the disc, it is difficult to determine its authenticity. Knowing where it came from, might help.

DSwizzy145 and Oakleaf like this.
  3. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I had seen this and I had my bets on it being fake since a build of KH2, a review build with a very very tiny change being present no less, exists and is publicly available
    I wouldn't trust it until they had provided more info, let alone for the price they wanted
    http://hiddenpalace.org/Kingdom_Hearts_II_(Feb_1,_2006_prototype)

4. Ligero_miguel

Hi, we can't check the data because we just bought it.
    About that prototype, it's a translation prototype so it may differ from this one, still if there's a minimal change it will be worth.
    I was asking more for the label and how it looks, thanks for your responses.

5. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

There is no way to visually authenticate a burned disc. Anybody could have burned the files onto a DVD-R and printed a label. There was no known restriction on the type of disc that could be used by the game developers and there was no copy protection for master discs.

Even if it is authentic, it is still difficult to prove. So you need to know who you got it from and you need to be able to validate the story somehow.
    Perhaps if you can prove that the contents of the disc are different from every other existing preview disc out there, it might be unique and genuine... but it is still hard to know for sure whether the disc is what you think it is. For example, how do you know it is the only copy around, burned for the press by the game developers, and not a copy that was deliberately made for sale to collectors like you? The original could be somewhere, and you got a made-in-2018 duplicate.

The folks on this website might tell you to be very cautious about treating any master disc as genuine. We have encountered cases (even recently), whereby the victim purchased a master disc... only to eventually discover that the seller was making many of them.

But if it is really a genuine disc, you should have it backed up because these discs would be about 15 years old. Recordable media are vulnerable to disc rot.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    DSwizzy145 and Ligero_miguel like this.
  6. Shane Battye

Shane Battye Spirited Member

First thing that strikes me about that disc is the stick on rectangular label. I thought that was a big no no for disc media because it can upset the balance of the spin when the disk is at high rpm (stick on labels for CDs are donut shaped so as to not be asymmetrical).
    Also it's a printable disc, why didn't they just print the label directly onto it?

7. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

If the burndate (which can be checked) is recent, be sure to open a paypal dispute

Ligero_miguel likes this.
  8. Ligero_miguel

Thanks a lot for your comments, we'll check the burndate and also the files, we all have a lot of experience with KH2 files and we'll try to notice if there's something different with all the known versions online.

We are awared that it can be a scam but we had to try since it's almost impossible to get this kind of stuff Kingdom Hearts related.

If you guys ever see any KH proto, debug, beta, alpha, whatever please tell me, we'd be very grateful since we love to investigate this stuff.

AntDRAG and Shane Battye like this.
  9. AntDRAG

AntDRAG am madmarsrocks

10. Ligero_miguel

Thanks a lot AntDRAG, I already did and I'm waiting to reach a deal with him, It looks pretty interesting since that's 7 months before USA and EUROPE release date.
    Let's hope it to have debug symbols or any interesting stuff, If I can reach a deal I'll be sure to dump it if anyone wants to take a look :)

DSwizzy145 and AntDRAG like this.
  11. AntDRAG

AntDRAG am madmarsrocks

Sweet, I wish you luck in acquiring the build. :D

12. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Let's also hope you're prepared to get your money back on that build you bought already

13. Ligero_miguel

Yeah, totally. We bought it between a bunch of people (because it was expensive af), so if there isn't anything new or is just the translation prototype we'll try to get the money back at all cost.

My friend already asked the seller and he says he's not sure of the content but he "confirmed" that isn't the translation prototype. We also looked at the reviews in eBay before buying it and almost all are positive so there's still hope.
    What bugs me is that you can't sell a disc at nearly 800$ (that was the original price), and don't know what's inside it or where did it came from...

The disc is already in France (where my friend lives), once he receives it I'll update the post with info about the situation.

spinksy and AntDRAG like this.
  14. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

15. Ligero_miguel

Nothing atm

16. dannygranger

dannygranger Spirited Member

It's fake. I've seen the exact same disc and label style three times now.

Dispute, refund and move on.

17. Ligero_miguel

Well, the disc has been for more than a month in customs and now it finally arrived.

We checked everything and it seems legit, there are some small differences between the proto that's online and the retail game.
    Also it's an NA proto and burndate is a month before the release of the game in NA, so I guess everything went right. Thanks a lot for all your help and attention :)

AntDRAG likes this.
  18. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

imho, the golden rule with protos (with few exceptions) :

If a proto is very (very) different from the final release then the seller will clearly indicate this in the description. Why? Because a proto that's very different is automatically worth a lot of money. Even the very worst games are still worth a lot if you get a copy that's from early in the development phase - I think what drives buyers sometimes is the idea of owning something 'unique' and not necessarily the importance of what's on the disc, imho.

Proto sellers know this - so it's obviously in their interests to check (the difference in potential profit is huge) so it's difficult to believe anyone would sell a proto without ever checking it first. There are obviously rare exceptions - i.e. the owner just happened to end up with it by chance, they have no idea what they're selling, etc...

If a seller lists a proto and there's no indication of any differences to final release then it's safe to assume any differences will be minimal (at best) Don't believe the "I can't test it" or whatever excuses they may throw up, it's a lie to sell something that's almost worthless at a hugely inflated price. This is happening more and more over time.

This proto was worth 800 euros if it was very different - but for some 'small' differences? No way is it worth that amount.

Bidding 800 euros for a disc like this sets a bad example in my opinion.

Hmmm... didn't someone on this very forum send me a handful of "XBOX Confidential" demo discs as a freebie years ago? I think I purchased something completely different and they just chucked them in.

eBay here I come!!

;)

(yes, that last bit was a joke!)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  19. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang My goodness, it's nipley out!

I'm not saying it is or isn't fake, but anybody can alter burn dates by changing their PC's time before burn.