what is known on mario 64 2

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by sayin999, Nov 17, 2005.

1. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

This was a slight disscussion on mario 64 2 on lost levels. You see this game was a mystery as not much was said about it apart from it beign a title alwasy listed for games being released on the 64dd. I did a search on ign news on it,

"Super Mario 64 2 is set for a release this fall in Japan -- at least according to Famitsu's sources. There are reportedly plenty of improvements and changes, not least of which you can control several characters, instead of just Mario. Miyamoto-san has, reportedly, been touting an early ROM of the game about, and yes, Luigi makes it in. It should be noted that Miyamoto has repeatedly denied that he had actively worked on the title for the past year, so take the release date with a grain of salt."
    And as they stated there was an interview where he stated he had a demo runing of it featuring mario and luigi but didnt know what to do with it. However im curious if more info on it was ever revealed, as well as is it possible that mario 64 ds contained left overs or ideas from mario 64 2 devlopment, this seems apparent due to the statement mention in the artical from ign abotu what famitsu found out durring that time period when going behind the scenes at nintendo, as well it seemed odd that the ds version conatained a couple of new levels tha possibly could have been from a beta of mario 64 2, anyone else have further info on this?

2. g_sepp

g_sepp Dauntless Member

I remembering having a photo from the mario 64/2 in an old nintendo power or in an NEXT mag. I will search for it.

3. Pikkon

Pikkon "Moving in Stereo"

4. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

that was a hoax, but i would not be shocked if thats all they had, cause from the looks it was just in a testing phase.

5. Mark30001

Mark30001 Guest

Wow! That picture brings a ton of memories now. I definately think that it was a hoax, I may be wrong. There was one hoax cheat stating a way you can play as Luigi (It deals with connecting your N64 controller to port 3 and collecting over 100 coins in Bowser stage, etc).

6. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

oh i remember them all. there were even naked and ninja mario rumors, but alas they werent true. Still im guessing waht was done on it wasnt much to brag about at all and why it never had a screen shown, still i dont know if nintendo officaly said it be on dd, just alot of magazines printed that as the system it probably be on.

7. madhatter256

madhatter256 Illustrious Member

Hehe. I would like to play a 3D mario game where I can ride Yoshi like its my bitch and punch the back of its head to swallow stuff.

Seriously though, wasn't it supposed to be a 64DD based game and it took place right after Super Mario 64? The concept was very much the same like Zelda master quest 64dd.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  8. g_sepp

g_sepp Dauntless Member

the picture i remember seeing was mario looking into the a hugh puzzle box (kinda like plinko) and every so often there was hugh stone monsters and a firemans poll from the top to the bottom. been searching all night for it.

9. Perkunas

Perkunas Intrepid Member

Mario 64 2 was partially built up from the 'garbage' levels of it's prequel. Later on, Super Mario Sunshine re-used these levels (excluding the waterpak stages)

10. g_sepp

g_sepp Dauntless Member

i believe that ... nintendo likes to reuse alot of things

11. Roi

Roi Intrepid Member

Miyamoto refers to it in a interview with Swedish LEVEL3.

12. joehax

joehax Robust Member

Bloody Miyamoto playing with gamers emotions like that! :p

13. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

Are you sure the original article from which this story came didn't miss out part of the name? I hate to be sound like a bad maths teacher, but wouldn't Super Mario 64 X 2 be the same thing as the old GameCube (and now allegedly Wii) project so many fans are dying to play? If it's true that Miyamoto has many unfinished ideas, can't we all just accept that 64-2 and 128 were - presumably - the prototypes for Sunshine and Galaxy respectively?

P.S. I was joking, by the way!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  14. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

According to the wiki entry on Super Mario 128, it's less like they were prototypes for specific games, and more like they were gameplay experiments run by Miyamoto to see what worked and what didn't. I'd love to see them...

15. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

the first 3d mario stuff was done I believe on the NES, courtesy of argonaut and the Mario Chip (google it non-believers, ign did have a slim mention of it, and I used to know someone reliable about this info). It was called the mario chip because it tried to push 3d in order to present a primitive 3d mario demo, nothing spectacular or even a proper level from what I know. Needless to say that if anyone can get a hold of this single cartridge, I say that it would sit right next to the SNES CD add-on of Play Station Experiment legend (PSX).

This chip later became what is widely known as the SuperFX included in you know what, and you know where, no need talk about that anyway.

On to SM64-2, I m proud to say that I had done my homework and closely monitored rumours and interviews since 1998 until now. Although I fail to have any official record of my findings, since it's just a hobby of sniffing around, I can say this much:

Based on what I had read mainly on IGN, and some 64DD artwork (Featuring mario in an old abandonded house, not unlike that of Luigi's mansion, but one could argue that it reminds the SM64 ghost level.) that Luigi's mansion and SM Sunshine are both games that sprouted from SM64-2. In fact they were products of ideas and not demos to my knowledge. Other than one or two demo levels , not much was made. In a report in a greek gaming magazine of the day, it said that if one was to enter the development of SM64-2 they would think that tha game was being entirely made to house luigi (this was written in 1999-200) which was indeed confirmed upon the release of Luigi's Mansion.

Nintendo wanted to do co-op *somehow* in SM64-2, with mario and luigi (four players i doubt for co-op - the split-screen size was a complaint at the time), and I believe it should be something in the style of DKC, but in 3d. Come to think of it, dual-player acrobatics would be nice, and would require accuracy from both players -not exactly pick-up and play.

The bottom line is that Myamoto and co. were throwing ideas around that were writen down. A demo was made to test some of those, but most work was not moved from paper to workstation until much later, when it was 64DD-bye-bye. Thus, instead of making one game like SM64, featuring beautiful varieties of levels, we got themed games such as Luigi's Mansion and SM Sunshine that focus on accessories instead of classic mario caps/abilities.

The SM64DS concept was nice, but done wrongly. SM64 for those who played it around the first time, was obviously ment to be played only with mario. To substitute abilities/characters seemed like a gimmick to me, and made a perfect game feel hindered and lame. The same mechanics in SM64DS should be used in an original SM64-style sequel on the DS in my opinion and actuay make proper use of the multi-character function/abilities.

Super Mario 128 has more to it than mentioned in this series of posts. If you do some research you will see that Myamoto actualy stated the game to be available on the cube right there with the next zelda. We now know that there is *one* mario game comming, namely Super Paper Mario, but I personaly don't believe that it stemmed from that concept. Mario Galaxy seems more like a candidate for being super mario 128, combined with the fact that nintendo "wished to prolongue the gamecube's life with peripherals", which we all know led to the Revolution project.

That said, I hope they get their heads out of their asses in nintendo and remember that it wasnt solely the good and tight controls that made SM64 what it was, but also the amazing and varied level design. Make me visit space more than two levels and I promise to throw that 12cm disc right accross the room. Instead they should try and make the levels virtualy seemless, across the whole planet that is depicted under the level in SM:Galaxy, offering a good shot of mushroom kingdom, ice levels etc, and for God, the ability to make our own mariokart levels later on by picking our own SM locals from the platformer and sculpting them out as we wish^_^

16. sabre470

sabre470 Site Supporter 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015

17. the_steadster

the_steadster Site Soldier

18. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

Let's not forget about 100 marios:p

19. emrik-ol

emrik-ol Active Member

I thought that the Mario chip was being developed for the SNES? I've never heard about it on the NES?

20. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

I remember hearing they got a 3D demo up and running on an unmodified NES (and Gameboy too for that matter), that was what got them the Nintendo deal in the first place.