What games give you nostalgia?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Zant, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Zant

Zant Active Member

I will never forget the sense of freedom that I felt when I first played the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) as a child. When I think about what the characters were like and how the music seemed to match up perfectly with the environment, I get a feeling of deep, heavy nostalgia.

What games give you nostalgia? Is there anything in specific about the game(s) that makes you feel nostalgic?

kennypecheur likes this.
  2. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Power Rangers Light Speed Rescue (PS1 - which I personally bought and dumped for the climax lot because yes) - something about this game, even if not a great game just reminds me of a simpler time.
    Megaman Legends 2 - The one game I had when growing up that got damaged because nobody said "be careful with discs" to me. Got stuck and never had the chance to play it all at the time. Eventually got to emulate it and play through it all.

Not a game but a peripheral
    Action Replay Duo - Bought it at best buy when this was a thing you could do. Was the weirdest device to me for what it did. Cheat devices were absolutely normal, but this wasn't the norm. Did GBA and NDS games but it never got inserted into the DS slot. So you could still play your DS games, but through the GBA slot somehow. I still have no idea why that works but it did.
    It reminds me of how weird devices can be.

-=FamilyGuy=- and kennypecheur like this.
  3. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

Anything on the NES really, Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island 2, Mana, Comix Zone, Tiny Toon on the SMD, Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo...

4. kennypecheur

kennypecheur Site Supporter 2016

Hello,

Commander Keen is one of the games that gives me nostalgia. I remeber the day I saw my father playing this game. Then, after few explanation of the MS-DOS instructions (in order to launch the game), he allowed me to play the game. It was my first contact with a platformer game and it was so great !

Another nostalgic feeling. When I see my boxed Shadowman on N64, it gives me nostalgia of the N64 era. I remember that it was the first game I bought myself, after a long talk with my mom. I went several time to the shop with my mom but she didn't want me to buy the game because it was expensive for that time. Then, one day, it was reduced to half the price, and my mom allowed me to buy it by myself. Even if my older brother and my best friend where joking about the poor motion capture of the Shadowman, I was very impressed by the game itself, by the music, the very mature pitch,....

Damn, there is too much feeling when talking about video games !

I could have talk about the afternoons I have spent Mastering Diddy Kong Racing with my dad, my old brother and one of my sisters, about the feeling I had when we received Goldeneye and Ocarina of time for Christmas, and many more things related to the N64 era....

5. BomberDino

BomberDino Robust Member

Streets of Rage 2

Co-op play. Back then we called it "simultaneous".

6. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

AKA the best beat-em-up ever created?

I know people are probably tired of me bringing it up, but Super Mario 64.

Ouja likes this.
  7. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

There's a few games that trigger it for me. First would be Super Mario Bros 3. I still remember the day we got it, it was my older brothers birthday present. I remember popping it in and being all what the hell? The idea of a world map with selectable levels was all new and unheard of! Tons of time went into it. One of the fondest memories is us playing at my dads house in our bedroom, where we had bunk beds. One of us on each bed, playing until the wee hours of the morning (we were at Dads house on the weekends).

Another one is Red Alarm for Virtual Boy. I don't know why it sticks out so much for me, but prolly around the year 1999 or so, N64 was in it's hayday, and my brother brings home this curious console from his buddies house. Honestly I had never seen it, I don't remember commercials for it, I don't even remember it in the stores. But here it was, a Nintendo console I'd never heard of! There wasn't a stand, so I propped it up on a chair and used that, which worked alright. I turn it on, and for some reason voice coming from a 'portable' at the time seemed amazing to me ("T&E Soft, Presents!"). Then the intro starts with its menacing tone, then the Vectors appear which seem to pop in and out at me! And they were really well done, I could tell what everything was easily. I always had a thing for vectors since seeing the first Battlezone, so seeing this vector quality in 3D, with the great music and great gameplay that followed the intro..I dunno, it just really stuck with me. That memory was the reason I got into Video Game collecting in 2013, and the Virtual Boy was the first of my collection. It kind of morphed into collecting a bunch of old consoles and even Laserdiscs, but that was the start.

Gauntlet Legends: Me and my friends played the crap out of the N64 version, good times had by all

Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Again, a game when the gang was hanging out. The sessions we had with this game would last for hours. The turn based system worked great for the others to hang out doing other things while the one person took his turn.

Super Mario 2: I also remember getting this game, and again, pouring tons of time into it. I even remember reading the manual and the little story at the beginning, which somehow made the ending just that much better. I also remember beating the game and just listening to the ending for a while, I really liked it, with the sleeping Mario and great music. It kinda got put on the back burner when we got the 3rd entry, but we always popped it in from time to time, even if that became the WORST game for us to get going for some reason. It took serious effort to get that title screen to show up.

Super Mario RPG: I liked this game so much back in the day that even though I didn't own it (I borrowed it for my first play through), when i didn't have it me and my little bro would play like D&D style Mario RPG. I even busted out paper inventories for our health points and items. Yeah, we had quite the imaginations.

Morrowind: My buddy always thought he was hot shit because he had an Xbox. Here I was clinging to my dear N64. But one I day I go over and he has this new game, "Morrowind". I knew nothing of the series, but I watched him play it, and holy crap, the game world and the amount of stuff that was possible to do just blew me away. I ended up buying an Xbox just for that game (and a few others, but Morrowind was the main focus). The best part for me was exploring new places and caves, finding sweet weapons armor and items, then taking them back to my house. My house being Norano (I think) Manor. I don't really know why it became my go to house, but every time I started a new game that house was MINE. I'd spend time pain stakingly laying out my weapons and armor on my shelves, and putting my collection of drugs and cool looking items on my table. I dunno, the world just seemed so intricate and imaginative, and somehow that magic never really came back for Oblivion and Skyrim (for me).

And holy shit this is getting long, so I'm gonna stop there

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  8. dark

dark Dauntless Member

Countless games that I played as a kid or teenager do it for me, many in the genesis era and dreamcast era. But perhaps above all else, is Crash n Burn on the 3DO.

I played it on a store kiosk in 1993 as a child and it made such a huge impression on me. It was the best graphics I had ever seen, light years ahead of the 16 bit era capabilities at the time, and the 3do system was at such an astronomical price, this was like the "god game" for me, unobbtainable awesomeness far beyond anything else that I knew of that was a video game. It was exactly what I wanted as a kid (combat racing) with bleeding edge 3d graphics for the time, on a system that had a completely insane and out of reach price point at the time. More so than other games I wanted, I truly felt that if only I could get a 3DO system and this game (circa 1993) that this would be the only game I would need to play for years. To illustrate how much of an impact on my childhood this game had, I played the game once and continued to try and draw my own interpretations of the game as pictures for at least the next 2 years, even creating a book as a class project about some kind of doomsday race with pointy cars with guns which was directly inspired from the 5 minutes of play time I had on the game on the kiosk on that one day.

I don't own a 3DO at the moment, but I recently intentionally bought Crash n Burn just because of its personal nostalgic impact, I just wanted to finally own it.

9. someguy1

someguy1 Site Supporter

the neverhood on pc back in the early 90s at a friends house they had emulators waaay back than and we were only about 8 or 10 years old ? remember it was just another title on a huge list of games that was on some kind of frontend gui.

10. miloxydia

miloxydia Spirited Member

There are so many that give me Nostalgia, but all my earliest gaming memories are on the Genesis/MD. My very first memory playing a video game was playing sonic 2 with my brother. I have extremely fond memories of the following games (and I'm very happy I still own them).

Sonic 2
    Hook
    Altered Beast
    Castlevania Bloodlines
    Golden Axe
    Shadow of the Beast (never beat it as a kid, but I had fun with it anyways)

11. Fandangos

Fandangos <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

Hugo's House of Horror.
    Such a simple game and yet.. so important to me.

12. mspeter97

mspeter97 Robust Member

The first Rayman game.
    It was my first real video game (up to this point it was Paint & some edutainment games)

13. hugh

hugh Robust Member

I would have to say After Burner in the arcade. After Burner is my favorite video game (own a stand up arcade now).

The first time I played After Burner arcade I played that to the end and it was the first game that I finished. The second was Alter Best and Golden Axe on the Sega Genesis.

=hugh

14. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Spirited Member

Rastan on the Master System. It was my favourite arcade game as a kid and I asked for a SMS for my birthday assuming it would be available. Luckily for me the SMS had the best console port, a different game for sure but it captured the spirit of the arcade game whilst making adjustments to suit the hardware. Played the hell out of that cartridge and still run through the game every so often, I prefer it to the arcade game now.

Zelda - Link's Awakening and Mystic Quest on the Gameboy are also favourites of mine. I got Mystic Quest and was blown away by the open world and item led progression, so much to do in such a small cartridge. When my Gameboy died I got a used replacement which came with Zelda and I sunk days into it until I had completed it with all the seashells. I remember getting stuck for ages on the Eagle Tower dungeon trying to knock that last pillar down! Again it was an amazing amount of game crammed into a cart and made me Zelda fan for life.

Ultima IV on the Master System. Never owned this one but had it on long term loan from a friend at school. My first taste of RPGs and still one of my favourites, I didn't mind having to basically fill a notebook with vital information as it was such a deep and involving game, the first true open game world I had experienced - I loved the different methods of transport and didn't even mind the resource management vital for travel (usually something I hate in games), it was way ahead of it's time and tough as nails, especially the dungeons. I played a clone called Excelsior on DOS years later at University where I just had my laptop and it was a great game too, check it out if you like early Ultima games. I think one of the reasons I like SKyrim so much is that it's basically Ultima IV with (slightly) better graphics!

15. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

Super Mario 64 for me. One of the first games i truly loved as a kid. The music still strikes an emotional chord with me. Specifically the file select screen.

M. Bison and speedyink like this.
  16. M. Bison

M. Bison I'll see you all at 3:15!

Super Mario 64 was my first video game, which I first picked up at 3 years old, so that holds a very dear place in my heart. The then-appealing graphics, the great music (SM64 was really the first game where I took notice of music in a game since it had such an awesome score), the fun gameplay. I really don't think that there's a better first "real" game (i.e. not an educational and/or super-simple mobile game) as a jumping-off point for kids. It's old enough to make you appreciate more sophisticated future games yet not so old to be obtusely difficult.

However, two games that actually STICK with me are Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask and Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Majora's Mask was a departure from the types of games I was used to (my exposure was pretty much Nintendo only for some time). MM was so foreboding, alien, and hostile compared to Ocarina of Time, and it had much more elaborate storytelling than the story I had gotten used to: "save princess, kill the mean guy, etc etc". The deeper sidegame helped to involve me into the greater breadth of the world rather than just staying on the plot railroad. I never got to appreciate Ocarina's sidegame until I was a bit older, since it didn't immediately "grab" me like Majora's did. I'm trying to get into writing and one of my influences in how I'm trying to plot out the, uh, plot is Majora's Mask. I want readers/players (depending on how what medium I get my story into) to WANT to engage with the whole world/enjoy side plots like I did with MM.

Finally, Super Smash Bros. Melee. Where to begin? It was a sequel to my favorite multiplayer game, so already that had my attention. Then I finally played it Christmas 2001 and that intro... I honestly feel like Melee's intro still ranks as one of the best in gaming. It told you that this was going to be something far larger and grander than the last game, which was already a fairly novel combination of concepts (Smash 64 already blew my fucking mind in having all these Nintendo properties interacting together). Melee was more of that, having kept really well (IMO) in the philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". More characters than just the basic franchise reps were added, which was super exciting to see. More exciting modes to make it something to keep coming back to for a long time to come.

In addition, as a retrospectively nostalgic facet, Melee really marks the end of an era for Nintendo in several ways. For one, this was the last time that Nintendo employed the simplistic art methods that they did in the SNES and N64 eras (especially notice the Mario characters, looking like detailed textured versions of their 90s-2001 3D art; this was the last time Mario characters had this sort of appearance). And one thing that some people take for granted are the trophies. Melee did trophies the best in the series. Few models were repurposed from previous games (compared to Brawl and Smash 4 taking many trophy models from pre-existing titles), and looked so close to the quality of the CG art we'd previously only see on boxes and in manuals. Plus, this was the time before super-widespread Internet; being able to read and see these characters and franchises we'd otherwise have no clue about was far more exciting; the Internet really removed this exciting facet in Smash games to come.

Plus, as another retrospective bit of nostalgia, this was the last Smash game to be designed organically; that is, Sakurai didn't have to factor in competitive players one way or another. With Brawl he designed the game to spite competitives, in ways that put off people on both sides of the aisle. Sm4sh's olive branch to the previously burned competitive community was the most insultingly simplistic and ignorant attempt to shut them up (particularly Omega stages, because Sakurai actually believes that competitive Smash is only ever played on Final Destination). Melee didn't have to bother with this shit and I feel that's why it's the most broadly appealing of the series.

graciano1337 and kennypecheur like this.
  17. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

Just wanted to elaborate on my NES nostalgia.
    First game I ever played on it was Galaxian and I thought it was amazing, but after that I saw Super Mario Bros and it blew me away, it will forever be the best game of all time. After that we moved on to Image Fight and Rush'n Attack. Battle City and Contra were my first 2P experiences, so much fun

18. Rogue

Rogue Intrepid Member

F-Zero X muisc gives me the creeps.

M. Bison likes this.
  19. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

FFVI and Secret Of Mana give the tear... Journey to Silius another good one.

M. Bison likes this.
  20. thebigman1106

thebigman1106 Robust Member

it has to be:
    snes - super mario world, mario all stars, dkc n starwing
    n64 - super mario 64, starfox 64, zelda oot