What do you primarily use your Everdrives for?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GodofHardcore, Nov 11, 2018.

1. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I actually bought my Mega Everdrive to play Rom hacks on real hardware and a Quick means of playing Master System games and super expensive Shmups.

Demos that show off the Console's capabilities are another use I gaha for it. Bad Apple still vlows my mind.

Of course I just dumped the entire Room set on the thing and "Play Random game" gives me something fun... it's yet to do that.

2. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

collecting dust ( I bought a Turbo everdrive and a Turbo Duo and never played either)

takeshi385 likes this.
  3. GodofHardcore

I think I'm just going to emulate the PC Engine, Too expensive too set up even if you get the everdrive, and that thing that plays isos off an SD card.

4. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I got mine cheap. Think I paid around £100 for everything, including th arcade card.

But I've had it like 6 years before prices went mental

5. teckman02

teckman02 Spirited Member

I have been wanting to buy everdrives for all of my systems I plan on selling off all of my game carts so I can have a complete collection in one cart

6. GodofHardcore

I'm not giving up on cilkecting but I'm not exactly going to have a huge Room of Doom either.

7. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Peppy Member

I'm trying to get a Turbo Everdrive for my pioneer Pac n1. I have the arcade duo card coming in the mail
    My cheap chinese everdrive for my mega drive I use to play the super expensive games like Battle Mania and Rockman Mega World

8. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

The Super SD System 3 that plays CD-ROM ISOs also plays HuCard ROMs so if you get that then you do not need the EverDrive at all. It seems like a great deal except that last I had heard some audio issues exist with CD Audio. If I recall it was something like distortion at higher volume which you could reduce by lowering the volume but then the balance between CD audio and PSG/sound effects and samples is incorrect. Unless/until that is resolved I think you're better off using high quality CD-Rs if you can't get the original CD-ROMs. Maybe it has been resolved but I haven't kept up with it.

I think everyone uses them and any other flash cart for the same bottom line reason. To be able to load any program they want whenever they want. It could be convenience, modifying games, playing modified games, playing expensive/rare/unobtainable games, or development of your own demos or games. They are great tools to have. Before these flash carts using removable cards like CF and SD were around I had one of the SNES Copiers for the same reason. I had a Game Doctor SFIII and later the SF7. It was really amazing back then being able to load ROMs from Floppy Disk or a cable to a PC with a 25pin parallel port. Not nearly as convenient as a modern flash cart but they worked.

9. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

Homebrews and the 240p test suite (which is excellent!). I played some retail games, but found out I received more satisfaction from playing the real cartridge. Maybe if I ever feel like playing a rare retail game that's out of my budget I'll use it for that.

Bearking likes this.
  10. GodofHardcore

I have at least 3 Genesis repros, so it's impossible to get the Rarer games on that platform.

Having access to everything is a bit overwhelming. I never know what to play.

11. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Dauntless Member

Everdrive 64 is pretty awesome, because unlike some other systems like SNES and NES, 64 emulation kind of sucks overall... need tweaks for lots of games, and the controller is unique. So playing on original hardware is nice.

12. GodofHardcore

At least until the N64 mini

13. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Link to the Past Randomizer.

14. thebigman1106

thebigman1106 Robust Member

Having all my games 1 one cart, translated games n ROMs of exensive games (is banjo tooie, conkers bad fur day etc).

15. Mord.Fustang

I think this is what most people use them for... I doubt many people are using them solely for "backups" of their original games.

16. abveost

abveost Robust Member

I mostly use them to show youngsters how superior ancient Chinese technology is. There's a lot of things I can do with my SF7s, v64s, MGD2s, etcs that I can't with my EDs so I mainly use those. When someone asks why I use a brick larger than the console I pull out an ED and show them. The MED is pretty good though. If I ever get around to FM modding one it'll replace my FM modded megadisk.

17. MottZilla

There is no reason to assume its emulation will be any better than existing emulators. Remember the NES Classic had something wrong with the sound emulation. Just because the same company does it doesn't mean it'll be perfect. And it'll be running on some cheap ARM based board so highly accurate emulation will be too taxing more than likely.

I'm sure the state of N64 emulation mixed with the unique controller certainly makes the EverDrive 64 appealing to people. But eventually the quality of emulation is bound to improve.

18. Mord.Fustang

Don't get me wrong, the makers of the emulators do a good job for the 64. But other than on PC (and even then, often need tweaks), it's hardly playable. Like you can't play 64 properly on the Wii (outside of what was released for the Virtual Console).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  19. MottZilla

It's been awhile since I've emulated N64 software but it's absolutely "playable". Even UltraHLE from back in the day was "playable". That was kind of why it was a big deal back then. When I say N64 emulation isn't that great I mean it has some accuracy issues or lots of little quirks. But that doesn't mean it's worthless. However, when I play games for enjoyment I don't want to put up with emulation related glitches/bugs.

But if you have a proper adapter or N64 controller then emulating certain games is perfectly fine. Some people might prefer it with the texture upgrading capabilities. And if someone isn't already working on it, eventually someone may work on quality low level emulation of the whole N64 and we might see a highly accurate emulator.

Personally though for pretty much any system I try to avoid playing on emulators if possible. I imagine everyone that has an EverDrive cartridge probably feels similarly.

20. skavenger216

skavenger216 Familiar Face

i got mine mostly to use for speedrunning practice, as a lot of games now have practice cart hacks that make consistently practicing segments a lot easier. Its also nice running stuff on real hardware, through a CRT, as im very sensitive to input lag. frame perfect shenanigans in games is already difficult enough, input lag just makes it even worse, lol.