What console still do not have multi cart yet?

Discussion in 'Everdrive General' started by wilykat, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Everblue

Everblue Spirited Member

Can you expand a bit more =)

2. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Loopy , lol.

MSV system

3. scottzane

scottzane Rising Member

here
    and
    here
    and
    here

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  4. Everblue

Everblue Spirited Member

Wow, thanks, hopefully its for MVS too :p

5. arromdee

arromdee Member

That long list leaves out the GBA completely. Your best bet at getting a GBA flash cart is probably the EZ Flash IV, which is actually a so-so DS flash cart, but works as a GBA flash cart for games that don't need special hardware. Running a GBA game on a flash cart requires patching (the cart comes with a program that does patching), at least where save files are concerned, and because the save file is different they can't be used to trade Pokemon (at least not with Gamecube or DS games). The cart also uses a mini-SD for storage; most SD cards are micro or regular so finding one is hard. Also, replacing the battery in one is a pain.

For the Nintendo DS there are plenty of modern flash carts. DS games need patching as well, but all modern DS flashcarts patch the game automatically.

There was a flashcart (iEvolution) that supported the Nintendo DSi, but the company disappeared. Because of the exploit the cart used, it didn't support all DSi features, particularly wi-fi.

And someone on the Turbografx forums made a short run of homebrew flash carts (which play 1 game at a time only) here: http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=11353.0

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  6. Everblue

Everblue Spirited Member

Is it possible to make a PC Engine 'flash cart' for CD-ROM by replicating (in FPGA?) the CD-Rom hardware which would connect via the expansion board? Or it would be science fiction?

7. Tricky

Tricky Robust Member

I think it'd be possible, if not very difficult. There's drive emulators in existance for some systems, ones being worked on for dreamcast and PS1, but seems like it'd be a bit of a strech of an effort to replicate the entire system when you can get a Duo R and Arcade System Card for about the same price such a device would probably cost, and then just burn backups of games.

8. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

Problem is burned backup is known to cause damage if used a lot, and as seeing the CD system goes for over $200 at the cheapest (PCE Duo), getting a CD drive emulator to run ISO directly would last a long time with no moving part, no burned out laser, etc.

The best bet would be to leave the CD hardware in (ie PCE and TurboCD base) and replicate the CD drive function

9. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

They don't make it anymore but the M3 Adapter for GBA was awesome. It used SD, or Mini SD depending on the model. You are right that patching GBA games tends to be required if the game saves since GBA games did not all use SRAM, some used EEPROM I believe.

Everblue, yes you could make a device that would run CD-ROM games similar to what you are describing. But you'd need to know some technical details to be able to speculate on how it might work. First off if all games use the BIOS for all CD loading and audio play you could create a modified BIOS to serve the same function but while using a different storage medium like a SD card. You may still have to reimplement/clone the ADPCM sound channel the CDROM hardware added, unless you can access it while any HuCard is in use in which case you could create a device to use in a CD or DUO system that would use the existing hardware but load all data and play all music off another medium. Someday it might be done.

By the way the subject of whether or not CD-Rs hard the system or not is not agreed apon. Many people don't believe or experience any problems with CD-Rs. Other people have systems that plain won't play CD-Rs. Some can play CD-Rs but the lens sled tends to get stuck. Some people blame CD-Rs for "killing their system" because they were playing a CD-R right before it broke. I can tell you from experience that my old PC-Engine DUO played most CD-Rs perfectly but tended to get the locked lens sled on the Super 4-in-1 CD but not usually any other games. My new PC Engine DUO-R has not had any issues playing CD-Rs so far, though I have not tried the Super 4-in-1 on it.

10. Mack

Mack <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

YES!! Give us a damn Jaguar Multi Cart PLEASE!

11. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt Rapidly Rising Member

No love for the Atari 800!?

It would be awesome to see a flash cart for the Atari 400/800/130XE. I have just about every single game on dozens of 5.25" floppies, but the load times are too damn long lol.

12. Tricky

Tricky Robust Member

SnoopKatt, while I can't speak for the load times, there is a floppy drive emulator that uses SD cards available for the 800, et al. http://torlus.com/floppy/

I've got a friend who uses an M3, works like a charm.

I think somewhere in the posts about the development of the Dreamcast ODE, there was some mention of possible gamecube support, applying some of the same knowledge. Maybe a Turbo-CD one would be possible through similar methods? I understand it'd be a fairly different piece of hardware, but the work OzOnE, and cybdyn and others, have already done might make it somewhat easier to get started.

13. YAGRS

YAGRS Rising Member

Like this?

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/documentation/

14. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt Rapidly Rising Member

15. PCEFAN

PCEFAN Member

Everyone asking about a HuCard that can replicate the CD drive is forgetting one thing, the HuCard slot is missing one IRQ pin that makes the CD drive operate. So some sort of switch or new card slot and card would have to be developed. The better idea would be to make a device that plugs into the expansion port of the PCE or Tubografix. It could probably be made to load HuCard and CD games as all of the pins for the HuCard and CD drive are present.

Edit: Hmm too much Jack missed Everblue's comment on the expansion port.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  16. Tricky

Tricky Robust Member

For the Jaguar, as well as the ones listed already, there's this http://www.jagware.org/index.php?showtopic=841 a very affordable ("
    For information, for 10 boards, the PCB and parts alone add up to less than 15 € (approx $19)") reflashable cart. No real posts since 2010, but there was a post from ZeroSquare in early July saying they were planned to release soon. But, given that he's also one of the devs of the JagCF, I wouldn't be surprised if that rough release date falls through. Also, the JagCF was noted as Vaporware in that list on page one here, does anyone know if there's been any news to suggest it might actually be released any time? There was an interview in 2010 where they said it was near release
    http://lowresmag.wordpress.com/2010/05/15/interview-with-scpcd-and-zerosquare-jagcf-getting-near/ and now two years later, nothing.

17. andoba

andoba Site Supporter 2014

A really big problem are retro CD based consoles... As the 3DO adapter that was launched a while ago by a russian forum, similar adapters for changing the stock CD drive in a Mega CD, Saturn, Playstation, CDROM2 and similar by a hard drive or IDE CD drive would be a great thing.

18. Tricky

Tricky Robust Member

Another post about Jaguar; gameofyou, who created the low cost TurboGrafx cart here http://www.assemblergames.com/forum...-Flash-HuCard-for-Turbografx-16-and-PC-Engine made a thread on Atariage gauging interest in a similar project for Jag http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/199755-any-flash-cart-interest/page__st__75 He's bought a console now, and is planning on waiting until sales of his TG carts dies down before he really starts on the project. He says that to start it'll be similar to skunkboard, a reflashable cart, and in time he may work on one that supports external storage instead of manually reflashing.

There are also some posts from Zerosquare, who says he is in fact still working on the JagCF, and a seperate thread on the release of the homebrew game Blackout http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/200126-blackout-released-now/, the cart for which can be utilised as a reprogrammable cartridge through BJL.

19. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

Nice! I'd get a Jag if they can make flash cart with external storage. I am tired of RSoD, which can happen easily if you don't align the cart exactly straight with the cart slot, the moon, and the zodiac Capricorn.

20. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Uh, the list I think missed the SD2SNES and the Mega-EverDrive. As for the Lynx, there are a couple of Atari Agers, Lynxman and Karri, who have made the flash carts. However, the Flashmasta (Flavor) dude is the first to work on a true multi-cart. He is early in the process though.