What console still do not have multi cart yet?

Discussion in 'Everdrive General' started by wilykat, Jul 28, 2012.

1. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

Just about every consoles has a form of multi carts these day from Atari 2600 (Harmony cart does 99% of the games) to Everdrive for N64. There are very few consoles that do not have multi cart or only have fixed multi cart (EPROM based, fixed and not reprogrammable easily)

Neo Geo and MVS for example are currently limited because it's a beast to build a multi cart but I hear whispers that a flash cart is in the works.

So what console are missing flash based multi cart? Fairchild Channel F and Arcadia comes to my mind but those are very old and rather obscure systems that may not have the following to make profitable multi carts.

Any other idea?

2. Tricky

Tricky Robust Member

A decent Jaguar one would be great. There was the Skunkboard, but it was $250 and required reflashing from a PC whenever you wanted to change game.

The Virtual Boy is also lacking a multicart, but given there is only a very limited library of games for it, the FlashBoy Plus does a sufficient job :D

3. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

Gameboy & Gameboy Color lack a Flash Cartridge that uses Mass Storage such as SD cards. It does have cards like the very nice USB 64M Smart Card which is cheap. But it doesn't simulate varied MBC behaviors, pretty much all run like a MBC5 would I think. It doesn't lock the Master Bank Register access during game play either which can cause crashing issues, which is why I have made patches for various games along with some other people. I'd really like to see a GB EverDrive.

NeoGeo MVS and AES have no mass storage flash carts, but there are Multicarts like the 150-in-1 I think it is for the MVS. You can get nearly the entire library on one single cart. Though it would be neat to see a flash cart utilizing SDRAM and mass storage like a SD card.

Virtual Boy was mentioned. I guess you have some Atari systems like the Jaguar, Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx. There may be flash carts but I don't think any take mass storage. The NeoGeo Pocket and Wonderswan are a couple more. After those, it would be neat to see mass storage/flash interfaces for systems like PS1, Saturn, and DreamCast.

4. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

I don't think either a Famicom or Japan SMS flash cart is available yet. We have to use western ones with adapters, it looks bulky.

5. Mystical

Mystical Resolute Member

Jaguar does need a decent flash cart same as the Neo Geo, however at the moment I getting mostly annoyed with disc-based systems and their lasers wearing down over the years so mass storage for consoles such as the Dreamcast, PSone, Saturn etc. are something i would be mostly interested in, something that supports direct loading of ISO images from an external HDD or from a Network share would be my ideal solution in this regard

6. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Saturn flash cart might be fun for homebrew that doesn't need CD space. Likely to work since action replay boots from there.

7. Tricky

Tricky Robust Member

There's at least one Famicom cart in development, InviteNES. It's being made by http://ramfactory.com, who also developed a previous cart for the SNES, similarly named InviteSnes http://ramfactory.com/products.php?64SZ-UF&language=en_US&osCsid=hqtrq14vqjldhipfqlkjji1iq3 They have their own forum, but the majority of it is in russian, and most of the up to date information on it seems to have been posted on nesdev already http://nesdev.parodius.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=8781 It's boasting to eventually have what they're hoping will be 100% compatibility with all mappers, as well as working flawlessly with famiclones. The latter I'm guessing is down to Dendy and Co.

There was/is another in the works dubbed the Munchausen project, however it was only made with MMC1 in mind. Also, from what I understand last year the main programmer pulled out, coupled with a hard drive failure leading to a loss of a lot of the software code and design work. There was talk of others picking up the project where it was left off, but so far it all seems a bit quiet. http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=5091

There's already been a hard drive adapter for the PSone in development for a while, although on hiatus until august. http://psio.com.au

One of the devs, cybdyn, has also been trading info back and forth with OzOnE here in the Dreamcast development forum, for the design of a similar device for the Dreamcast. From what I understand, there's hopes to support both on the same board.

Also yes, what Mottzilla said, how could I forget the gameboy. I'm surprised Krikzz, or indeed anyone, hasn't made one, given that I can only imagine there's a very high demand for one.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  8. scottzane

scottzane Rising Member

Sure, GB/GBC would be awesome. ODE (optical drive emulator) would also be a safer storage solution than writable discs.

9. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

I'd like to see a modern GBA device too. Most of them are old and long unsupported with annoying limitations.

10. Tempest_2084

Tempest_2084 Spirited Member

The MSX (if that counts as a console).
    The Ti-99 has a multicart, but it's never been released to the public (there are youtube videos of it)
    I don't believe the Tandy Color Computer has a multi-cart either, just a SD card interface.
    Oddly enough, I don't think the C-64 has a multi-cart either. There's a disk drive emulator (similar to the MSX one), but it's not a mulit-cart.

11. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

I'd suggest buying a K1 tbh

my most desired everdrive right now is a GB/GBC cart, would love to see that happen someday. Virtual Boy it would be nice if someone could churn out more Flash Boys at a faster pace, but I think the cart itself is more than sufficient given the library, I don't think the time/cost of R&D would see enough return, plus the library is so small

12. seemoremacstuff

seemoremacstuff Spirited Member

Fairchild Channel F, and the Astrocade don't have flash carts right?

13. Tempest_2084

They have multi-carts, but not flash carts. There really isn't much call for flash carts on systems this old since they had such tiny libraries (I think there are around 27 unique Channel F games and only slightly more Astrocade games) and not much homebrew development. Their libraries are pretty static, which works well for multi-carts.

14. Tricky

Tricky Robust Member

There's this http://www.msxcartridgeshop.com/ unless this is the disk drive emulator you referred to.

Accurate as the K1 may be, it's still not authentic GBA hardware, it doesn't even have the same resolution screen. Might be good enough for some, hell I may even get one at some point, but it's not the same as playing the game on the original hardware.

Nice as the Flash Boy is, I'd like one that supports more than one game and save at a time. But like you say, probably not enough demand to justify one.

15. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

Atari 2600 has Harmony (uses SD and can play almost any 2600 games) and there's Harmony 2 coming out for 7800.

Flash based multi-games for CD based systems would be a challenge. CD can have several hundred megabytes and one would have to be creative to handle multi-loading sections of a CD without taking too long to fetch the data from memory card. Having onboard RAM to store entire image would work but it'd get expensive fast when you start looking at DVD sized games.

Found a nice list (updated March of this year). Source

Action Max:
    • A standard edition Action Max Collection DVD is now being produced with all 5 action max games. You can purchase it through this AA Marketplace thread.
    • DISCONTINUED: Action Max Collection Epic Fail Edition: Funnily enough there was a dvd released with all 5 action max games on it. Only 20 were produced.
    Arcadia 2001:

• IN PROGRESS: Arcadia 2001 Multicart: An AA member is working on this dip-switch multicart which includes all of the standard games and more. Previous multicarts have been very limited runs, but from what I've read, it sounds like multiple runs are a definite possibility. Pricing for the first run is only $95 shipped!
    • DISCONTINUED: Ward Shrake's Arcadia 2001 multicart.
    Astrocade:

• Gambit's UltiMulti Version 1.5.1 is currently available, here is the extensive game list. You can order by emailing Kenn Lill, kenzre@yahoo.com. If he doesn't respond right away you can also contact him on the Bally Alley Yahoo Group. Thanks TMOSteel for the info!
    • DISCONTINUED: Ward Shrake's multicart and the 8-bit domain multicarts were all dip-switch multicarts for the Astrocade.
    Atari 2600:

• Harmony Cartridge: SD flash cart able to play any game 32KB or smaller (one original and some homebrews are >32KB.
    • DISCONTINUED: Cuttle Cart: a multicart for the 2600. The user needs an audio source like a CD player or computer (think Supercharger).
    • DISCONTINUED - Krokodile Cart: It is a writable multicart that will play most 2600 games without the need for an audio source.
    Atari 5200:

• Atarimax Ultimate SD Multicart for Atari 5200: A SD Flash cart that can play the entire library(?) including Bounty Bob Strikes Back and MULE. Also included on the SD card are some Atari 8-bit comp conversions.
    • OBSOLETE: Atarimax has a USB flash cart that will hold 128 games.
    • DISCONTINUED: A52 MaxiCart: A USB Flash cart that can hold one game at a time. It has 32K which is enough for all of the commercial games besides Bounty Bob Strikes Back.
    • DISCONTINUED: Atarimax, 8-Bit Domain, and Sean Kelly all had dip-switch multicarts.
    Atari 7800:

• IN PROGRESS: Harmony 2: SD Flash cart that should be a lot easier to use than the CC2.
    • DISCONTINUED: Ah, the Cuttle Cart 2, an excellent mmc-based flash cart for now, but others will be coming shortly hopefully.
    Channel F:

• Fairchild Multicart A menu-driven multicart which obtains all of the original games and a demo of the homebrew, Pacman. It may take a while to receive the cart, but the sooner you get your order in, the sooner it will come.
    Colecovision:

• Atarimax Colecovision Ultimate SD Multicart: SD Flash cart which will play the entire library. Also included on the SD card are a couple homebrews: Mario Bros and Mr. Chin by Jean-Francois Dupuis.
    • OBSOLETE: Atarimax has a USB flash cart that will hold 128 games. Very easy to use, believe it works with any game. You can use this cart with the Coleco Adam as well.
    Creativision:

• DISCONTINUED: Creativision Multicart: a non-writeable dip switch cart that has been sold out for some time, there was a lot of love put into this one.
    Game Boy:

Game Gear:

• Everdrive GG: Micro SD Flash cart that will play Game Gear and Master System Games. One reviewer claimed it had near 100% compatibility. You can use up to 2GB Micro SD cards.
    • DISCONTINUED: GG Pro 32M: A 32Mb parallel flash card from the old tototek line. Supports Game Gear and Master System games.
    Genesis:

• NEO Myth MD 3-in-1: Purchase here/Forums here: Supports most Genesis and 32X games. Support Master System Games and can output FM Sound. Can load SEGA CD BIOS from cart and can use as a SEGA CD RAM cart. Essentially, this cart took the capabilities of both tototek flash carts (described below) and gave it SD card capabilities. Requires a NEO2-SD or similar Nintendo DS flash cart. Requires a NEO2-SD or similar NEO2 NDS flash cart.
    • Everdrive-MD: Supports most Genesis and 32X games, Virtua Racing definitely does not work though. Supports Master System games. Will load SEGA CD BIOS from cart. Does NOT have SEGA CD RAM cart capabilities or FM Support for SMS games.
    • DISCONTINUED: MD Pro 64M: A 64Mb Parallel flash cart from the old tototek line. Supports 32X but only for your region. The MegaCart is a parallel flash cart that is also a part of the old tototek line (and Evermind's). It can be used as a smaller flash cart, but it can also be used as a SEGA CD BIOS loader and SEGA CD RAM cart.
    Intellivision:

• Cuttle Cart 3: Micro SD Flash cart by Chad Schell for all of your your intellivision needs. I was surprised these were still in stock.
    • DISCONTINUED: Chad Schell's Intellicart, games had to be loaded from your pc via a serial cable one-by-one.
    Jaguar:

• Skunkboard: a USB Flash cart that allows you to load one game at a time. This product has gone through a couple revisions, but Rev 2 and 3 have 8mb of flash memory available. You can read about the difficulties with creating the last batch through the link, but there may be a few Skunkboards available once they are produced. The rumor is that this will be the last batch of Skunkboards made.
    • DISCONTINUED: There exists a jaguar flash cart that was used by devs back in the jaguar days. Apparently the software is a little poor since it's not a commercial release. They can hold one game at a time and can be a little pricey.
    • VAPORWARE: The JagCF from jagware is both a flash cart and an expansion hardware for the Atari Jaguar. There have been many heated debates between homebrew devs, jagware, and "pirates" about whether or not to include the ability to play commercial games on the JagCF.
    Lynx:

• Lynx Multicart: An AA member has created a USB Flash cart that holds one game at a time, but it will handle all game sizes up to and including 512kb. (To order PM Lynxman)
    Master System:

• NEO SEGA MKIII Myth flash cart: Purchase here/Forums are here. Supports up to 16Mb roms. Has an FM chip on board, so you can hook up the audio cables to the cart and out to a stereo. Requires a NEO2-SD or similar NEO2 NDS flash cart.
    • Master Everdrive: Supports up to 8Mb roms (not sure if any commercial games were larger than this). Does not have FM chip support. You can use up to 2GB SD cards.
    • DISCONTINUED: SMS Pro 32M: A 32M Parallel flash cart from the old tototek line. Works on a mega drive with an adapter like this.
    NGPC:

• FlashMasta/LinkMasta: a USB Flash cart that can hold one game at a time. As far as I can tell, this is trying to recreate the Bung Flash cart to increase availability and to update it to USB. They are available for order now.
    • DISCONTINUED: Bung Flash cart, various sizes with 32mb being the highest. Parallel interface. Info is here.
    Neo Geo:

• (Please let me know if any of this information is false, I'm no expert on these.) There are a number of multicarts available these days with an increasing number of games. Here is a list of carts and what games they have on them (Keep in mind there is a 150 in 1 and 161 in 1 released since this page was made). The 138-in-1 multicart is supposed to be the most accurate(?) due to the attached board which loads the game into ROM on the cart and restarts the Neo Geo. So it should behave as if a normal cart is inserted. I've heard conflicting accounts of multicarts not working with multi-slot machines and unibios, please do some research before purchasing. I've also heard thatJamma Boards and Excellent Arcade are good, safe places to order from, but again please do some research before purchasing.
    • DISCONTINUED: Multigame Doctor 2 with the Neo Geo Interface can play the older and smaller games with special roms. A good picture ishere one pic down.
    NES:

• The Powerpak made by BunnyBoy (widely known member of the nesdev boards) is a compact flash-based cart which allows most games to be played (I believe it was 95-98%?). Certain mappers do not work correctly, but the mapper files are stored on the flash card for easy upgrades. Saves are not handled automatically.
    N64:

• Everdrive 64: SD Flash cart which can play all but 1 or 2 games. Supports all save types including FlashRAM with the latest BIOS Update.
    • 64drive: CF or Micro SD Flash cart which can also play all but 1 or 2 games. Last I heard, it supports all save types including FlashRAM.
    • NEO N64 Myth flash cart: Purchase here/Forums are here. Requires a NEO2-SD or similar NEO2 NDS flash cart. You can update it via their Nero Dual Programmer.
    Odyssey 2:

• 233-in-1 Odyssey 2 Multicart: a non-writeable, dip-switch cart that contains the entire library(?) and some homebrews including Amok! Compatible with the Voice and Plus games for the g7400. (This replaces the 128-in-1 multicart) At $42.50, this is a steal.
    • Sören Gust has a RAMcart which is a writable DIY cart. He also has a Flashcart in the works, and a Megacart which seems to be a DIY multicart.
    Pokemon Mini:

• Apparently there have been a number of flash carts for this system, info is here. There's instructions on ordering the latest flash cart, but I haven't heard back from him as of 1/5/2012. On the forums he says he has been very busy lately...
    SNES:
    • NOTES: Here is a list of the games which use special chips. No commercial game was released in the US with more than 48mb, but 128mb will allow you to play Star Ocean and other fan translations.
    • Super Everdrive: SD Flash cart which can play up to 48Mb games. Does not support games with special chips except for DSP-1 (if you order it with the DSP-1 chip installed). BIOS can be flashed using JTAG. Saves are handled automatically.
    • SNES PowerPak: CF Flash cart which can play up to 128mb games. Does not support games with special chips except for DSP-1. BIOS chip is socketed, so it can be reflashed using an EPROM programmer. You can also send it in to retrousb.com and pay shipping to have it reflashed. The mapper files are stored on the FAT file system (easy updating). Saves are NOT handled automatically (can be a pain).
    • NEO SNES/SFC Myth Flash cart: Purchase here/Forums are here. Supports games up to 64Mb. Does not support games with special chips except for DSP-1 (you must attach a DSP-1 cartridge, similar to the old T-adapters, to use DSP-1 games). Requires a NEO2-SD or similar NEO2 NDS flash cart. You can update it via their Nero Dual Programmer.
    • DISCONTINUED: Super Flash Cart 64M: A 64Mb Parallel flash cart from the old tototek line. A T-Connector is also available to play DSP-1 games with.
    TurboGrafx:

• NEO Power PC-Engine flash cart: Purchase here/Forums are here. There are a few different versions of this, the best being the 128Mb with the added save functionality which includes 2Mb of RAM for games that save, ex: Populous.
    • DISCONTINUED: PCE Pro 32MB: A 32Mb Parallel flash cart from the old tototek line.
    Vectrex:

• VecMulti: A Micro SD Flash cart that has extra RAM so that it can play Animaction as well as the rest of the library of carts. This is the one to get.
    • Reproduction Vectrex Overlays are currently being produced. Click here to purchase single overlays on ebay or to buy the full set. More overlays are in the works, you can track the progress at this AA thread.
    • There is a recently released vectrex 72 in 1 multicart from Andy(?). It has more games than sean kelly's multicart. You can get it here.
    • DISCONTINUED: Vecflash: This was available at first as a Serial Flash cart that could hold up to 15 games (+menu), and was later released as a USB Flash cart that could hold up to 31 games (+menu) at one time.
    • DISCONTINUED: Sean Kelly's multicart v2.0 is available for $75 shipped on ebay whenever he gets a new batch completed, otherwise the price on ebay is usually double from resellers. This has every released cart on it(besides Animaction), plus a good many homebrews.
    Virtual Boy:
    • FlashBoy Plus (direct link, you can order through vectrex.biz): a USB flash cart which holds one game at a time. It has 16Mb which is enough to hold all commercial games. The Plus version supports saves.
    Wonderswan:
    • NOTES: Spotted a new wonderswan linker on yahoo japan auctions, hopefully there's more to come!
    • DISCONTINUED: WonderWitch was a development kit meant for amateur devs. Some homebrews that were created using the WonderWitch will only work with the WonderWitch.
    • DISCONTINUED: Wonder Magic is more of a general purpose flash cart.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2012
  16. Tricky

Tricky Robust Member

Wasn't aware of this one. I thought the only one was the one currently in development by Flashmasta.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  17. seemoremacstuff

seemoremacstuff Spirited Member

Entex Adventure Vision doesn't have a multicart or flash cart, but on the other hand there is only like 4 games for it, and its like super rare so there would be a market of like two people who would buy it making such a product would not be economically viable.

18. YAGRS

YAGRS Rising Member

The list on Atari Age is certainly helpful, but he hasn't been keeping up with new carts or carts that are no longer available (for example, the SD2SNES, Mega Everdrive, and Turbo Everdrive aren't on that list).

I'll be getting an Intellivision within the next week, so I'm disappointed that I missed out on the Cuttle Cart 3 (which sold out at the beginning of May). It would be great to see someone come up with an alternative, though I don't have a lot of hope of that happening.

19. Tempest_2084

What's funny about that is Chad couldn't give those things away when he made them a few years ago and sales were quite slow. Now all the sudden everyone wants one and they're all sold out. I wonder why the sudden spike in interest for the Intellivision?

20. YAGRS

YAGRS Rising Member

Well, people tend to want something more after they can no longer have it. In my case, I had yet to work my way to the Intellivision. It wasn't a console my family owned, and it wasn't one that I remembered really being aware of or wanting. After I bought the other consoles from that era, I started to want one, and was even considering going ahead and buying the CC3 earlier this year though I didn't have a console yet. For me, it was just a matter of bad timing.

Part of the reason I have little hope for an alternative is how long the CC3 was available before it sold out (seems like about five years). Might not be worth anyone's time or effort to come up with a new Intellivision flash cart or multicart.