What computer are you using ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Max_XX_ou, May 2, 2012.

1. lnx64

lnx64 Robust Member

Definitely wasn't with the retina display if his issue occurred out of warranty.

2. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I'm not a PC gamer at all so I don't need a fancy graphics card but today I installed 8GB of memory. Oh, boy, what a difference that has made. I can now run Model 3 emulation at full speed!! Not only that but also run 4 1080p video streams at once. Not much point but it sure shows that a shit load of memory can really help with a computers power. Hopefully video editing will be a lot quicker now too.

[​IMG]

I was running the PC on 2GB of memory.

Yakumo

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  3. pool7

pool7 Site Supporter 2014

I'm with you Yakumo. I don't have 8GB, but I did notice quite a difference when jumping from 2 to 4GB.

4. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

My current laptop is a HP Pavilion DV7t-3300. A beast of a laptop that needs a new screen (spilled water on it once, kool-aid another time) and a new keyboard+touchpad from being worn down.

My current desktop in need of an overhaul:
    Asus P5N-D
    6gb of G.Skill RAM IIRC
    LGA775 Pentium Dual-Core @2ghz (can easily do 2.8ghz without much trouble and only tweaking the FSB)
    nVidia 9800GTX

Need to swap out two sticks of RAM to max it at 8gb and pull out the CPU for Core2Duo or Core2Quad. Haven't found a good price for a high end chip for either sadly.

5. DefectX11

DefectX11 Familiar Face

He he he- I'm updating the computers I have because it's always changing.

Bought a broken 13" MBP for $200, replaced the keyboard and sold for $850. With that I bought a 17" MBP 2009, upgraded the RAM (added one stick for $10) and sold it again for $1400.
    I'm now sitting with a 17" 2010 MBP, antiglare screen, 8GB RAM, 2.8GHz i7, 750GB hybrid HDD/SSD drive, with all the packaging and warranty. I feel like the barter kings!

Also- Yakumo- ram seriously helps. I had 4GB in my desktop, and after upgrading to 16GB I noticed a massive jump in my ability to multitask. I no longer need to close Vuze or other ram hogging apps.
    Video editing should also be much faster- because now the application is allowed more room to dump video to ram, for quicker access. Rendering also takes up ram too, so that'll be quicker.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  6. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I always thought more memory would just stop my PC from slowing down when running a few demanding programs. I had no idea it would make previously unplayable stuff run full speed such as the Model 3 emulator. Nor did I think it would speed normal computing jobs. Now I know it does :)

7. seemoremacstuff

seemoremacstuff Spirited Member

8. Meringues

Meringues <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

No, I got it early 2011, I would love to get a retina but the amount I spent on this one means I'll be using this for many years to come :congratulatory:

9. lnx64

lnx64 Robust Member

I also have this old computer, which was my first PC. It's currently being repaired as it seems my Bad Apple demo I programmed for it, caused quite a problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKyolreDW04

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/IMG_0866.jpg

Since I ran this demo on it, it caused memory errors, ROM errors, all sorts of freakin errors.. But so far, it may have been the IDE card I made for it, the Tantalum capacitors, some have developed cracks in them and it might just be causing bus issues..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/model25planar2.jpg

10. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Nice upgrade Yakumo. My recently built PC has 4GB @ 1600MHz but i'll upgrade to 8GB too later this year.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012