What car do you drive?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by bluexcell, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Nice. It's sort of like a Wheeler Dealers in picture form :) Are you going to replace the seats with better conditioned ones or give the ones you have a good scub with some leather food cream?

2. A Toubib

A Toubib Midnight Xbox Crew

Yakumo I know it sucks what happened, but your not the only in the boat. Someone kicked in my door while I was parrellel parked downtown. I called the police, and they did nothing but mark it as an accident, so now my car has accident history... sigh.

[​IMG]

3. Yakumo

Sorry to hear about that. Still, at least it was only one panel that got damaged. That must have been one hefty kick too. Will you get it repaired?

4. A Toubib

A Toubib Midnight Xbox Crew

Its on my to do list for the summer, it also has some bumper scratches from people using it as a bump stop when they parallel park. I'm so glad I moved out of that town and have my own garage now. I have about $2k in resto I have to do due being on contract in that town for 12 months.

5. shifted

shifted Robust Member

Probably easiest to pick up a parts car (if it is cheap enough) or a door from a wrecker and swap it over than anything else?

I do it with my bunky Hilux constantly, wreckers charge a fortune so I pick up parts cars instead and take the parts I want whilst selling the rest, always turns a profit and always have spares around just in case - seeing its a 4x4 and does all sorts of shit - makes it worthwhile.

6. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Well I passed my license test, I can now drive. Hoorraayyy! - I'll be getting a Toyota Corolla 2012, I think they are super easy to park.

7. bluexcell

bluexcell Spirited Member

Congrats HEX1GON, remember to post pictures once you've got your new car. ;)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  8. Cyantist

Cyantist Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

Apparently since I'm an apprentice I can get driving lessons for a larger company called Bill Plant for £15, really thinking of going for it at that price. Most instructors are £20-£22. Sound like a good idea to you? I'd definitely go for a lesson a week at that price.

Also sad that just about every 106 in existence is knackered. They're reliable and smallish cars. I imagine difficult/expensive to insure since they have a rep for being ruined by chavs.

9. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Thanks bud, I should have my car in 3 months or so :)

I would do it, each of my lessons were $40, and I went once a week. The day before my test I had a lesson and 1 hour before the actual test. It paid off pretty well.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  10. Twimfy

Twimfy Site Supporter 2015

Leather food. GTi leathers are near impossible to find for sub £200. I bought those in the picture for £70. I may also patch up the wear with another piece of leather and then do the same on the passenger side even though it doesn't need it just so they match. It's the seatbelt that causes the wear...another piece of french ingenuity.

11. Yakumo

hehe, well we all know French cars can have some very odd design flaws.

If I remember right, on an old Wheeler Dealers episode they actually painted the blue leather seats in one of their cars. The end results were very good. The seats still needed some leather food too to supple up the leather. Total cost wasn't to high from what I remember.

12. kiff

kiff <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Don't do this mate!

Bill Plant instructors aren't actually fully licensed instructors, 90% of the time they are trainees. Another reason they can offer cheap lessons is that you will do very little actual driving which obviously saves on fuel costs and extends the overall numbers of lessons you should need.

There is a guy VERY close to you (who I used myself) who offers good rates and a no non-sense approach... basically he won't piss you about and he won't rip you off; I will PM you his details shortly mate.

13. Cyantist

Cyantist Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

That would be cool and I'd be really thankful :)

How much should I spend on a car if I do ever pass? Bearing in mind I'll be paying for it and insurance myself since I don't have parents to get to put money towards/go on their insurance

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  14. shifted

shifted Robust Member

That would be a question on what you can reasonably afford, noting down maintenance and on-going costs also.

Have a look at your budget, get some insurance quotes on cars of interest to you to get a rough idea.

15. XboxSurgeon

XboxSurgeon Site Supporter Since 2013

[​IMG]

My other ride (stock photo)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  16. bluexcell

bluexcell Spirited Member

My first car was a Hyundai Amica 1.0, which cost me £650, great little cars actually, very economical and are quite nippy despite them being one liter engines.

However, my insurance for my first year was £2000, then it went down to £700 for my first year's no claims and now I'm expecting to pay £400 to £500 for my second.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  17. andoba

andoba Site Supporter 2014

[​IMG]

Sorry for the low quality and resolution, I took it years ago with an ancient, shitty phone.

18. RyanGamerGoneGrazy

RyanGamerGoneGrazy Clubbies Are Minis Too!

[​IMG]

It's been almost 7 years since I got my first Mini!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  19. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Got my car a few days ago, pictures at some stage :)

20. Yakumo

What did you get? The Toyota you mentioned in an earlier post?