what brought you to assembler games

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by teckman02, Dec 3, 2018.

1. teckman02

teckman02 Spirited Member

This has been on my mind what brought you to this group? For me I have been a gamer my entire life all the way back when I was less that one year old when my dad gotten an Atari 2600 for Christmas in 82 ever since i was hooked... now fast forward to more of the present have also had an interest in computers and learning on how things work. a year ago after a evening of looking around on ebay and having a few rums and coke I bought a few development systems and they are a PS2 t10000 tool, PSP dtp-t1000 and a PS3 DECR-1000a that I did not know that I bought till a few days later when i found mystery boxes sitting on my doorstep when i gotten home from work...so then that's when i started reading everything that i can about the systems and what they can do.

this group as lots of knowledgeable and id love to know each and every ones back story

LuizNai likes this.
  2. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

In recent years I have become somewhat indifferent to this board. I really don’t recall why I joined anymore, but it was probably because of the sense of community and the wealth of knowledge we have here.

LuizNai, L2000 and Taijigamer2 like this.
  3. Kao

Kao Gutsy Member

I joined after the Hyrule Fantasy prototype disk got dumped back at the end of 2010. I think I did a google search for info about the disc, and this site showed up, among others. I wanted to participate in the conversation so I joined up.

These days I don't post much because most of the conversation and topics I enjoy are now discussed elsewhere, like Twitter and Discord.

4. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

The blackjack and hookers.

5. Taijigamer2

Taijigamer2 Gutsy Member

What message count unlocks that?

nodots and teckman02 like this.
  6. Blur2040

Blur2040 Game Genie

There is no better place if you're interested in anything obscure in video gaming. Every time I try to google something obscure, I end getting pointed back here. In obscure gaming, all roads point to ASSEMBLER.

Domspun, Nully and Taijigamer2 like this.
  7. Nully

Nully Intrepid Member

Any time I'm having an issue I Google "console issue assemblergames" and 95% of the time I find exactly what I'm looking for. It's pretty dead nowadays, I still remember my first modification which was the "raphnet" (don't remember his username here) DIY N64 Gamecube controller adapter which he now sells professionally. But to see projects like that released to the community for free is always awesome. There's always been a huge sense of sharing and dedication to open source in the retro gaming community.

Also I feel like it needs to be said how great it is to have altruistic people like Bad_Ad and Zer0 who help others and don't scalp you to hell with their prices in the marketplace in comparison to literally anywhere else online and even offer support for something they made just a few dollars on. Eurasia.nu's owner is also a great guy who used to post here and was always willing to give advice.

And I myself am always happy to give people parts or materials they need for free if they need something in their thread. You may not see it publicly, but I've probably sent out 30-40 packages over the years of free stuff to even people with 1 post asking for help and I know there are others who do too. :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Taijigamer2 likes this.
  8. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Which is extremely unfortunate. In a few years time, nothing discussed on those sort of ephemeral garbage platforms is going to be reasonably accessible - it will still be there in principle, but not possible to locate without excessive effort.

-=FamilyGuy=-, Trenton_net and Nully like this.
  9. Nully

Nully Intrepid Member

There's also Reddit, but really every time I find an answer to a question there about subjects discussed here; it's nearly always incorrect or regurgitated information from an actual source like you or the others here who are actually knowledgeable on those subjects. With anonymity also comes a lot of false information.

10. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Peppy Member

I know exactly why I came here in the first place
    No other place was selling phantom modchips other than here in 2016.
    So I signed up and at first, I thought I entered the dark web
    Got my modchip and lingered some more to discuss saturn and I gained a lot of knowledge so I decided to stay.
    Glad I got to experience when the site was actually good with shoutbox and good relations with mods/Kevin all intact.
    Dickbutt posting was god tier D I C K B U T T

PixelButts likes this.
  11. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

I joined in 2000, looking for a community to share and discuss console game development kits and the related software...

12. Kao

Kao Gutsy Member

jollyroger: 2000! Wow! That's really incredible :)

True, but the occasional toxicity here along with the lack of autonomy over my account and posts makes posting here unappealing sometimes.

I actually feel like there's a decline in "fan community" boutique-y online communities across the board. A lot of discussion is moving to social media platforms and others. Kind of sad at times because it does get so much more scattered, and there's a real lack of a sense of community and belonging.

13. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

Funny that by then my games development career was almost over... eh, yeah I am THAT old... :)

Kao likes this.
  14. Kao

Kao Gutsy Member

Oh man... When'd you start your career? Sometimes I get a romantic view of old school game dev... burning eeproms, blazing trails in the wild west of early game dev.... But it probably was kind of miserable actually. Very technical work with little in the way of tools and technical support or documentation.

15. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

Eh, I didn't start as early I would have liked, as my parents resisted purchasing a computer until high school...
    I dabble with computer programming since the mid eighties, but I only started actually developing commercial games in 1994.

Kao likes this.
  16. Kao

Kao Gutsy Member

Early 90s game dev is exactly the time period I'm baselessly nostalgic for lol

17. teckman02

teckman02 Spirited Member

what games did you work on?

18. crissybwoy

crissybwoy Enthusiastic Member

I found Assembler games as I had an Amstrad Mega PC and was doing some research into it and looking to compare it to a Sega Terradrive. Assemblergames museum was about all I could find for info on it. This was probably in 2000 or 2001 I'd guess. Been here ever since.

19. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

This was a good topic cause I couldn't remember at all until I searched. I think it was a mix of the Arcade forum because I was into Superguns as well as the Unreleased/Prototype games stuff and also Console development/SDK things. Not sure exactly which one was first or if it was a mixture. But it's been a long time.

20. Conte Zero

Conte Zero Active Member

Probably I was googling for some obscure stuff. :)