What awful retro game do you have an attachment to?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by dark, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Toon Swinger

Toon Swinger The Eletro Swing player from 1936

Hmm... I'd probably say have to say Scooby Doo Cyber Chase for the PS1.

2. K7Sniper

K7Sniper Robust Member

I know right?! I loved that game.

3. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

I don't think people quite realize that the 2D Bubsy games weren't that bad. I mean, they weren't amazing, but I think Awesome Possum was a worse mascot platformer, and nobody remembers it. But Bubsy 3D was so bad (so bad you guys, and it came out like a month after Mario 64 and just, bad) that it WENT BACK IN TIME and tainted the earlier games. So Bubsy had mascot platformer fatigue (seriously, every company had a mascot platformer on the SNES/Genesis) and the later game was the worst game on the PS1 (maybe).

4. dreamcups

dreamcups Member

I always loved Hokuto no Ken 2 (Last Battle, Genesis). It remains a personal favorite to this day! Love the characters design, music, the fidelity it has to the original anime and the overall gameplay -though i agree this factor could be a bit better.

5. mettleramiel

mettleramiel Robust Member

I can beat the game on a single life!

6. BLUamnEsiac

BLUamnEsiac ɐɹnɔsqO ʇᴉq-8

Pac-Man for the 2600. What can I say, I was 3 and it was the first video game that wasn't Pong that I got to play at home.

7. stranno

stranno Enthusiastic Member

Bubsy 3D. Well, i like it so, in my opinion, is not awful at all. It was just pretty outdated when it came out.

And i really loved Rengoku: Tower of Purgatory for Playstation Portable, the supposed to be worst game of the system, it was so fun.

8. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

I wouldn't ever call Sonic 3D awful - the Saturn version in particular is great (the soundtrack remains one of my absolute favourites), but what really hurts it is the lack of a save feature. I'm usually bored about midway through Rusty Ruin Zone, and even the Mega Drive original had a better hidden level select that doesn't require you to manually skip each stage in order, made worse by the horrendous load times!

Despite being mocked elsewhere for this in the past, one game from this period that I'm vocal about enjoying a lot more than I probably should is D-Xhird...

9. rtv190

rtv190 Robust Member

I quite enjoyed FF10-onwards despite what the fanboys say and i also liked Jurassic Park on NES despite what AVGN and his fantards say about it

10. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

I thought of one, Test Drive 6. I played the crap out of the PC version, even though the cars looked like hot wheels with no shading, some of the lampposts didn't exist, and the AI was laughable. It was still a bloody fun time.

11. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Here I am, rearing my ugly head again!

I believe the OP is looking for retro games, so games belonging to the fifth generation of consoles or generations beforehand. I wouldn't call anything beyond FF X retro and I believe the majority of people would agree with me.

It seems like anybody who disagrees with you or likes something you don't is a "fantard." As oh-so creative and thought-provoking as your vocabulary is, maybe you should give logic and reasoning behind why those people are wrong. Then again, that does require some rational thought, so I certainly won't hold my breath.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  12. Kaicer

Kaicer Site Supporter 2014

I played a lot a game called B.O.B it was for the snes and genesis, it came by the time of Bubsy that I also played a lot. But BOB was hard as hell and for some kind of reason I keep playing it to try to finish it. Another game I love was Super Widget maybe the cartoon was very kiddie but the game is not the ultimate platformer but was nice. Oh and I almost forgot James pond what an awful game I don't know why I played it so much.

13. DSwizzy145

DSwizzy145 Well Known Member

I've actually heard the Japanese version Sonic 3D Flickies Island have autosaves or something like that for every zone you've beaten

14. DSwizzy145

DSwizzy145 Well Known Member

But to go on subject, i'd say the majority of MS-DOS PC games from the early 90's i thought were very good though not that great honestly. I for one is also in the Sonic 3D Blast/Flickies Island camp and i really find it wayyyyy more enjoyable than overrated Starfox, Super Mario RPG, Final Fanasty VI and Chrono Trigger

15. rtv190

rtv190 Robust Member

FF10 technically is retro and i only use fantard to describe hyper active fanboys that bash everything without playing it

DSwizzy145 likes this.
  16. BLUamnEsiac

BLUamnEsiac ɐɹnɔsqO ʇᴉq-8

Retro is somewhat subjective. If you subscribe to the 15-20 year rule, FFX isn't retro yet but will be soon.

17. AtomizerZero

AtomizerZero Intrepid Member

Cool Spot on the Snes. 3D breakout on the PS1. That's all I can think of right now.

18. rtv190

rtv190 Robust Member

ok FF10 is almost retro

19. rtv190

rtv190 Robust Member

i only know 1 person that considers that game bad most people say that game is just average

20. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

I normally would agree with this, but it is AVGN we're talking about. He himself is fine, but some of his fans don't seem to understand it's all an act for the videos. I've seen way too many people dismiss games entirely without even trying them because the almighty AVGN said it was bad.

I thought of another game. Super Aquatic Games for the SNES. So one year my parents actually decide that hey, we have a SNES, lets actually buy our kids a couple games for it. What did we choose? Super Alfred Chicken, Mickey's Magical Quest, and Super Aquatic Games. Alfred Chicken and Magical Quest were both all well and good, but that damn Aquatic Games. After trying it we pretty much shunned it. After a few years, we got bored of all the games we had, and I started playing that awful game. After a while I actually started enjoying it, because I finally started figuring out how the hell the awkward timing went, and how they wanted you to play it. I'll still admit it's a terrible game, but I can't deny that I actually had fun with it once I actually figured out how to do good in such a terrible, hard game.