What are your "holy grails"?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by jonwil, Dec 13, 2010.

1. 1PlayerD

1PlayerD Newly Registered

For me, would be Half-Life, I had to make a trade for a entire portal 2 script which can no longer be found, for it. Its from January of 1998, and its unplayable.
    The beta of course, has never been leaked, the person who sent me this got it from some garage sale.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  2. unclejun

unclejun Site Supporter 2011-2014

3. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

I'm surprised those BeOS games haven't been leaked by now, Quake 3 especially.

4. unclejun

unclejun Site Supporter 2011-2014

Well, there is a port of Quake3, but it's not the official one, it works fine though, but the OpenGL version works better with the leaked Voodoo3 drivers iirc...
    http://haikuware.com/directory/view-details/games/3d/quake-iii-for-beos
    http://haikuware.com/directory/view-details/games/3d/quake-iii-for-haiku

Worms Armageddon was leaked, it is quite easy to find, as for the other unreleased games, I asked the author of the SimCity3000 port and he doesn't have the files.
    Someone found a "Unreal Tournament for BeOS" file ona russian ftp in 2007, I tried to contact him without success.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  5. DonnyK

DonnyK Spirited Member

6. CrAzY

CrAzY SNES4LIFE

This was always my thought as well? Never heard anything pre-Gamecube.
    Although it surprisingly would make a lot of sense to be a Dreamcast title.
    Now i'm curious! :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  7. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

It ran on naomi 1 in 2000 didnt it? Maybe thats why ppl think it could be a dc game.

My holy grail would be gunvalkyrie on the dreamcast and soul reaver 2 on the dreamcast :).

8. CrAzY

CrAzY SNES4LIFE

Never even heard of the Naomi version before, but your right. Searched it up on Google to watch a video link, and your post came up as page #9...
    Google scares me.:flamethrower:

9. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

The Naomi Super Monkey Ball is the original game and uses a giant banana for a jotstick :)

10. Segafreak_NL

Segafreak_NL v2.0 New and improved. Site supporter 2012-15

Another Dream crushed :p

11. TEOL

TEOL Rising Member

Anything with different music "Example Raw 2 Beta", graphics "Example Streets of Rage 1 Beta" gameplay "Example Streets of Rage 2 Beta for it's different moves" and anything unreleased as a final game.

12. runkthepunk

runkthepunk <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

My 'Holy Grail' games are all on the Dreamcast as it is THE system!

Some of them almost definitely had playable builds available at the time of cancellation, others maybe were only ever tech demos or videos

Gun Valkyrie (this is my ultimate Holy grail just need someone to release it to the community you know who you are!)

Take the Bullet

Geist Force (hopefully soon)

Ecco 2 Sentinels of the Universe

Black & White

These may or may not have had any actual 'playable' dreamcast game work

Planet Harriers

Toe Jam and Earl 3

Streets of Rage

Gun Beat

Jambo Safari

Castlevania

Max Payne

Good grief writing these down makes me really miserable at all the good stuff that the DC could have ended up with! ah well.

13. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Robust Member

I'd love to see Syndicate Wars on the Saturn surface at some point. Sega Saturn Magazine had a build that was complete except for lacking the intro FMV.

Reloaded
    on the Saturn would be nice, too.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  14. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

You and I are pretty much the only ones rooting for gun valkyrie:crying:.Toe jam and earl actually had dreamcast gameplay shown.It wasnt all that different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs7O2qCvWc0

I suspect gunvalkyrie on the dc is actually more like this(the other footage was shown during e3 2001/2002,it was already up and running on the xbox,so was this but this resembles earlier shots and the ects 2000 video):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCkSijkjmLA&feature=related

15. runkthepunk

runkthepunk <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Ha Ha I can't believe we are the only ones! It always looked like such a wonderful game. The XBOX version is good but the Dreamcast control system would have been beautiful and the look/design was something I really liked and i thought the XBOX version lost some of the appeal when it went down a more 'traditional' path.

I really believe someone out there has a playable version of the game but wether it will ever appear I don't know

I asked DonnyK today if he ever saw it. I don't know if he is still around and someone else asked about it earlier in the thread but hopefully he may have a juicy titbit for us!

16. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

Wow I thought the same.As great as the xbox version is, the dc version could have been something greater.I doubt this game will ever see the light of day,it seems more of internal/forgotten game.most likely lost.You ever saw the ects footage I posted,it had a few seconds of gunvalkyrie running on the dc near the end of the video(though honestly its like 3 seconds long.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnZA6ukAx2w

17. Mugi

Mugi Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015

well... my holy grail used to be this gigantic ps2-looking console we all know as a tool.
    then i discovered a place where everyone and their mom has devkits and now i got 2 so that went there..

nowadays im after parasite eve everything..
    especially the data that was used for these screenshots. (superpower, page 8 late 1997 issue)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  18. Cyantist

Cyantist Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

Those graphics look amazing. especially the last one. This is all ps1 yes?

19. Mugi

Mugi Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015

they have to be.. there was nothing about even parasite eve 2 back when this was printed.

it's some form of test version of the game i think. If you look at the screenshots, you'll notice that the 2 bottom screenshots are something that doesn't appear in the retail game. Also the battle interface is completely different from what the retail has.

the bottom left image with the cop cars and the T-Rex has bothered me for the last decade now. I NEED to know where it is from.

I suppose it's possible that these are just promo shots that are computer generated etc whatever, but with them being ingame material I think it's unlikely.
    what comes to hte graphics looking completely different of the retail game, would it be possible for them to be from some proto that actually runs on pc instead of ps1 ?
    these are published before any version of the game was released i think. and even so, this is a finnish magazine, and everything comes here with a nice delay, so these are propably way older than my magazine's date gives out.

edit: also, it seems i was slightly off with the time, it's summer 1997, not end of the year.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  20. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

That's probably not running on an actual PSX, it's probably just a mock up - like that mock up they had of MGS.