What are some of the best cellphones on the market?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Jasonkhowell, May 22, 2008.

1. Jasonkhowell

Jasonkhowell Well Known Member

I'm currently looking at upgrading my cellphone after my old cheap one died (Currently got a $14 one, but I still want to upgrade). Here is what I am looking for:

-Something very flat, and can fold
    -Can play a decent amount of cellphone games with high quality graphics
    -Can work with a Cingular SIM card
    -Not a LG phone
    -Can possibly take pictures and video
    -Around $100 or less.

2. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

I ll repeat myself but here it goes..

Sony Ericsson P1i, for the real business-man who also loves a quality PHONE (and not multimedia/pocket PC)

It really is a phone at first and a small PC as a second comfort at a very reliable and professional looking form factor.

3. Giel

Giel Intrepid Member

I think your last point pretty rules out the first 2, for $100 you can't get decent graphics...

Have you looked at the Motorola Razr? They're super thin, clamshell and graphics are decent enough. I love mine :) !

4. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

I have an old Sony Ericsson K750 and it's great for me.

I have a 4GB memory stick (it makes initialization of the phone very slow, but after it works great), with music, music videos, apps and games.

It has tons of games avaiable, and the 2MP camera is enough (video recording isn't that good though.

New phones are so expensive right now, so i'm happy with what i got.

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  5. the_steadster

the_steadster Site Soldier

one of the older nokia N series maybe an N73?
    I have no idea what prices are for phones in the US though, it may be useful if you gave us a shortlist of what you could afford and we'll tell you what we recommend

6. Shadowlayer

Shadowlayer KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!!

100 buckaroos? you aint getting anything good for that son!

Anyway, I heard the helio Ocean is on sale for a price around that.

Thats the best you can get for that money IMO, unless you can settle for a used phone on ebay.

No idea about the cingular SIM though, I would like to know too.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  7. JackAz!

JackAz! Peppy Member

Couldn't recommend SE any higher.
    I'm currently using a k770i.
    It's fast, nice looking, easy to use, and it's purple. ;)

Best handset I've ever owned hands down, and I've had a few in the past year and a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And there's new pretty colors!

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  8. 3do

3do Segata Sanshiro!

I'd agree with that, had a k750i then broke it and got one from ebay with a 1gb sony MSpro duo mem card plus some extras for about £10-20 can't remember exactly.

You can get pretty good games on it and it has a memory stick pro duo slot so easy to to store games. I flashed mine into a w800i for the slightly better music player. it has a decent 2mp camera that can take ok video.

Other than sony erricson i'd suggest a slightly older N series nokia if you can get one at the right price.

9. diddydonn

diddydonn Familiar Face

I know you said no LG phones, but i would recommend the LG Viewty (KU990) ive had one for just over a month and they are a really great phone, loads of touch screen games, fantastic camera, plus divx playback

Failing that any of the newer N series nokias,, either the n73 or n95 are worth a try, both very sturdy phones and of course symbian OS so tonnes of games and apps to use on them both

10. kamon

kamon Rapidly Rising Member

Another K750i user here! With a large Memory Stick it makes an OK music player, and there are plenty of games for it including 3d stuff. There's a fair amount of free stuff on the net too, I found Minesweeper and a host of retro ports. Takes good pictures too, I've had good results even at gigs with bad light.
    Only downside seems to be the funny video recording. Not particularly flat either, but I find the RAZR type phones give me cramp.

11. the_steadster

the_steadster Site Soldier

Don't know about the other models, but my K800i was nothing but trouble. I moved to it from a nice Symbian S60 nokia 6600 (old as hell, but great) and after a year the joystick and number pad were both broken, as well as the speaker. Had to ditch it and went back to a nokia, couldn't be happier with it. Theres so many lovely little features in a S60 nokia that were missing in the sony