WANTED: Someone to RGB mod my Gamecube component video cable

Discussion in 'Want to Buy Requests (WTB)' started by eastbayarb, Jun 3, 2008.

1. eastbayarb

eastbayarb Rapidly Rising Member

so can someone please hack my component cable into a VGA cable? I only want to use gamecube for the gameboy player. I currently have it connected to my monitor via Vdigi VD-Z3 component to VGA transcoder but it's blurry.

2. DarthCloud

DarthCloud Fiery Member

Did you saw my last PM? I didn't get answer from you...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  3. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Lemon Party Organizer and Promoter

What's the difference between CompV 480p and VGA?

4. the_steadster

the_steadster Site Soldier

YPbPr vs RGB in this case

5. DarthCloud

DarthCloud Fiery Member

Video signal terminologies is a bit confusing cause marketing guy are giving name that doesn't really match the reality...

RGB is a "component" signal cause all signal are on separate signal. Each color have their own signal and both sync (H & V) have also separate signal. (that's right for computer stuff, "TV" RGB often drive both sync signal on the same line, which is not a big case anyway since it's just sync..)

"Component video" is a "composite" signal. On the Y (luma) signal you have the luminescence (it drive darkness/lightness of the picture) and both sync signal. Pr drive the difference between red and luma and Pb drive the difference between blue and luma. Green is determined by an interpolation using luma, red and blue information.

Btw "Component Video" is really just S-Video where the Chroma signal was split in two (Pr & Pb) allowing to drive video signal with higher frequencies. This allow the have better picture quality and better resolution over s-video.

Btw, "progressive" is another marketing bullshit, it should be call non-interlace....

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  6. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Lemon Party Organizer and Promoter

I actually ran into a problem with this. I have an arcade monitor, which generally doesn't like composite synch. Consoles don't quite work on it. Using an lm1881 works for most stuff, but then breaks a couple of others. :(