Wanted: dreamcast SDK R9

Discussion in 'The ASSEMblergames Marketplace' started by sioivo, Jul 17, 2005.

1. sioivo

sioivo Member

I got a dreamcast dev unit from eaby. But it didn't come with any software. I can pay some money if anyone can help me. Thanks.

2. Mark30001

Mark30001 Guest

You just gotta be careful if someone says they'll send you a genuine SDK r9 & you end up getting a pirated CD-R in the mail...

3. sioivo

sioivo Member

Yes I know that may happen. So I am thinking if they can use FTP. :smt083

4. Fabrizo

Fabrizo Resolute Member

You should probably look for r10 if you want a legit copy of the software sense thats not wide spread on the net at this point. However, if that doesn't matter, you should be able to find r9 fairly easily on the net.

Wasn't their a r11 also?

5. ...R11a (Alpha) definately, dunno whether it made it any further, besides by R9 things were cracked for all intense purposes.

6. sioivo

sioivo Member

Anyone? come on! I really need dreamcast SDK. I know many people have it. So far I still can't find it on the net Please help. :smt009

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  7. Fabrizo

Fabrizo Resolute Member

Edit: Blah blah blah...removing text...blah blah blah...making amends...blah blah blah...

8. Mark30001

Mark30001 Guest

I'll be guessing people would also want my XBOX XDK's as well. Hey Fabrizo, is the DC SDK at your ftp a legit copy? I can't even get the ftp to work.

9. Paulo

Paulo PoeticHalo

No any software on that ftp isnt legit as one it should never be distribuited to the public and none of you have a license for it.

Im not even sure we should be allowing people to advertise the the ftp but oh well.

10. Fabrizo

Fabrizo Resolute Member

Edit: SDK? What SDK? You must be thinking of someone elses ftp...

Are you saying you don't own any unreleased games or development software? As those are more then likly something your not legaly entitled to own. Not to be pointing fingers, but I originaly had no intention of hosting dev software on the ftp, but its something that almost everyone here seems to want.

At one point I was actualy thinking of splitting the ftp into two different ones. One for dev software, the other for games. I decided against it though because I would probably get alot of people asking for dual accounts then, which is pointless. A little later I thought that maybe I should make it 100% legal, however that was once again not what the people here wanted. As far as I know my ftp has become the best one for prototype media (although im not sure about dev software and documents), and i'd like it to stay that way.

What im not doing is providing games or materials that are commercialy available. Almost no one here can afford to spend tens of thousands of dollars for an official license to develope games and the necessay software. Similarly if games can't be purchased in any legal way, I see no problem in making them available. If a company has no chance in loosing profits due to what is made available, then it shouldn't be a concern.

However, I am very open to recomendations and suggestions. If you can provide me with some solution that would benefit more then just idealised (fully legal) vision of the internet, im all ears (or eyes in this case I suppose).

ps: Sorry about the mini rant, its just that i've been putting alot of time into making the ftp better latly (that is almost every single minute I havn't been at work or asleep for about a week), and when someone tells me what im doing is wrong/bad/evil/illegal/etc. It annoys me greatly.

11. Don't get annoyed has to be the answer...

...What Paulo said was constructive.

Distributing the stuff that you 'advertise' is illegal, unfortunately it doesn't matter how much it's glossed up it will be you that will end up carrying the can if it all goes pear shaped.

You can be sure that it will be the end of the ASSEMbler forum as it would be implicated by allowing your ftp to function in such an open manner.

...It's the open manner that's the issue, what people do in private, is private. I don't care what people do in private.

...Your sig and this thread for instance are public.

Being a Moderator brings responsibilites, Paulo has the 'responsibility' to look after the people in this forum.

12. Fabrizo

Fabrizo Resolute Member

Alright, what do you suggest I do to make ammends? I had thought that the ftp had been accepted by the staff here. But since it has not fully it seems I would like to fix it.

Seeing as community dumps are fully accepted (and often encouraged even) here, im going to assume that hosting unreleased games is fine. So its the dev software that I would have to remove to make everyone (well, at least the staff) happy? If that is the case, I will (regretably though) do so. I don't want my ftp to be controversial, and I understand that perhaps its overstepped its bounds at this point.

Just say the word mods, and the dev software, documents, and any other media related to development will be gone.

13. Paulo

Paulo PoeticHalo

Well this is prob not the best place to talk about things like this. (Maybe a new thread in site sugestions if we want to reply to this post).

I dont think anyone actually minds the FTP hosting what it is currently hosting however the fact it is in use by mostly (if not only) by the assembler boards could cause trouble for the board if you ever get a telling off by sega/who ever. (On the previous board we werent really allowed to link or talk about where to get things like these. However i think that was due to the host of the old board so this rule is less strict).

However i dont actually think there is a great problem with it. Thats for ASSEMbler to say.

I would advise you to not post "xxxx sdk is on the ftp" and not leave any of the logon information for the ftp around the board. Do this via e-mail. (which i think is how its done already!).

(Umm wonders when its a good time to ask for the log on details as i wondering the other day lol)

14. Fabrizo

Fabrizo Resolute Member

If it keeps going, you have the power ;)

Yea, its an Assembler exclusive ftp. and as such if assembler himself ever told me to get rid of X item on it, I would do so. He's never actualy said anything against it though, so I think he's ok with it.

Makes sense to me. Ill go through my posts and try to eliminate/censor anything dev related i've mentioned is on the ftp. And actualy yes, the ftp is completly private, it wasn't for the first month or so but no I have to personaly approve anyone who wants access. It makes for more work for me but has a considerable number of benefits as well. So you don't have to worry about that.

Feel free to e-mail or pm me with any specific name/password you would like to use and ill set it up. I get requests for accounts all the time, so its no big deal :)

But anyhow, if you or any of the other mods want something done to the ftp just let me know and ill see what I can do.

Edit: what do you think of the revised 2nd and 3rd messages I posted on this thread? :p
    Edit2: Alright, I think i've eliminated all my posts that mention dev soft being on the ftp (although I couldn't fully remove it from the ftp thread, as people had quoted me). If you see any I missed ill change them.