vmu with dead batteries resets maple w/ rumble. normal?

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by TerdFerguson, May 6, 2018.

1. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

as the title says, if i try to use a rumble pack with a vmu with dead batteries (all mine are dead, those things die too quickly) the vmu will reset, resetting the port as a result and all input stops for a second

is this normal system behavior? or is my maple bus not performing as it should? if i have 2VMUs, keyboard, mouse, and if i add a dreameye, my maple bus goes nuts and VMUs continuously reset

surely the system should be able to power 8 VMUs, or at the very least a VMU and a rumble pack

2. Xerxes3rd

Xerxes3rd Rapidly Rising Member

I have observed that adding or removing a peripheral to the controller (such as a VMU) causes a reset due to a controller response timeout. I'm not sure if this resets the whole Maple bus, or just that controller's port.

3. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

yes every dc does this AFAIK

my post was asking if maple reset during normal use of one port was normal or not. a big name 1st party hardware developer wouldn't usually put out a peripheral that crashes the input bus

it sucks because a pair of VMU batteries lasts MAYBE a week, and if you don't use the standalone VMU game features it doesn't last too much longer

4. S4pph4rad

S4pph4rad Site Supporter 2015

Does it really? I just checked my first VMU that I've had since 1999, and the stock battery that came with it is still alive.
    I would always put the little plastic tab back into the back of the VMU when I wasn't using it to cut power to the battery. Despite this, I did use it for standalone games like the Homebrew Tetris, so it wasn't completely unused.

A week sounds like an exaggeration, the battery must've lasted longer than that under normal use.

5. Xerxes3rd

Mine never seemed to last longer than a few weeks back when the DC was a current console. Now I don’t even bother to replace the VMU batteries since they die so quickly.

6. AtomizerZero

AtomizerZero Intrepid Member

Maybe someone should mod a lithium rechargeable into the vmu with a little charge circuit.

7. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

No, it's not normal - it's probably a bad connection somewhere. Try reseating the power supply and the flex cable going to the controller PCB.

I did look into this once, and the biggest problem is that the rechargable coin cells like the MN2032 have about 1/4 of the capacity of the primary cell types. They are also designed to operate with very low discharge currents and suffer a drastic reduction in cycle life if discharged at higher rates.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    AtomizerZero likes this.
  8. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

yeah i've gotten like 12 batteries in bulk and the vmu would die after a week or two

so as far as the maple bus goes, is it normal for a dead vmu + rumble pack reset the bus every time the pack rumbles?

9. Xerxes3rd

I agree with TriMesh- does sound like you have issues with the 5V line of the power supply. I’ve seen some odd behavior in the past from (probably broken) 3rd-party jump packs, but I can’t remember if I saw the same thing you’re describing.

10. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

None of my consoles do that, using either the original Sega rumble pack or a third party one, and using either the Sega VMU or a third-party memory card.

Although now I think about it, I have a vague memory of seeing that once before from a rumble pack with a bad motor in it that went short at one point in it's rotation.