Visual differences between Nintendo 64 Fast3D/F3DEX and Turbo3D/F3DLX

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by ArthCarvalho, Oct 10, 2017.

1. ArthCarvalho

ArthCarvalho Newly Registered

Hello, I'm just starting to learn about N64 development, and while reading about the RSP microcodes, I read that while the Fast3D can push around 150k triangles per second, the Turbo3D microcode can push almost 500k per second with reduced precision and no Z-buffer. From what I'm reading, it sounds alot like what the PSX outputs.

The only place I've seen something similar to this in a commercial game was in Zelda Ocarina of Time, if you look at Ganondorf's cape, you'll notice that his cape vertices are ridiculously jumping around when he moves. But of course that doesn't really mean they're using the turbo microcode there, it might as well just be a low precision cloth simulation they are using.

Are there any examples of the Turbo3D or F3DLX running on real hardware? Or any commercial games that use it?
    How much does it degrade the graphics when compared to Fast3D?

Also, the original Fast3D microcode can output around 150k triangles per second, how much does the F3DEX gain in performance over it?

2. marshallh

marshallh N64 Coder

Last Legion UX uses it. It's garbage.

There is no reason to use Fast3d or F3DEX when F3DEX2 is available. I'd guess performance is about 5-10x better. It depends on how well optimized the displaylist generator is at exploiting the vertex cache. Basically, f3dex2 reduces the overhead of vertex processing to basically a minimum, at which point it no longer becomes the bottleneck (which is of course always RDRAM bandwidth).
    Software trying to exploit the maximum potential of the N64 needs to consider a variety of angles besides just ucode.

3. udkultimate

udkultimate Active Member

@marshallh

WOW man, you are true a LEGEND, you are a HERO of N64 Homebrew Scene. I Know that there are many folks that have done some amazing things on N64 Homebrew, but your work stands out from others. I think you are the most talented N64 homebrew developer here.

I wa amazed the first time I saw this video and still am amazed whenever I see it again:

Congratulations for all your hard work.

By the way, why you don`t team up with this guy deadcast who is developing a Nintendo 64 Engine like Unity, so anyone can develop games for Nintendo 64:

https://twitter.com/search?q=#ultraed64&src=typd

This would be amazing guys!!!

Cheers.