Virtua Fighter 4 dreamcast ...any info??

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by saturn_worship, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Ed the Nerd

Ed the Nerd <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

2. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

Google.

3. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

I'm pretty sure that Official Sega Magazine claimed that Fighters Mega Mix featured some VF3 backgrounds etc because Saturn VF3 would not be released. Supposedly the game was made to sate Saturn gamers.

Fighters Mega Mix uses a slightly upgraded Fighting Vipers engine.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  4. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

SSM never once suggested this, but the desert stage was featured in Megamix as a graphical preview of how VF3 would look on the Saturn, much like Digital Dance Mix served as a character tech demo. Actually, the Saturn conversion of VF3 wasn't officially cancelled until September '98, though I'm not sure if the levels from Sonic The Fighters were included as compensation for that game's absence on the console since I can remember it still being on forthcoming release lists as late as May '98 - unless AM2 quietly abandoned this one around the same time Yu Suzuki (presumably) made the decision to also drop Shenmue in its original 32-bit guise! Who really knows what happened behind the scenes? Obviously not us, not SSM and not even Sega's own PR departments as these games were all being developed under the greatest of security. There were rumours of a VF RPG and VF3 being worked on as a Saturn project for years, but apart from Suzuki's announcement that his team was taking full responsibility for the latter, did we ever get anything of substance (not including the much later prototype video of Shenmue, that is)? A few screenshots from Saturn VF3 and Sonic The Fighters can't be too much to ask for in comparison, or so I'd like to believe...

5. chao2

chao2 Rising Member

Any news on whether if there was a beta of virtua fighter 4 on dreamcast?

6. Superrayman3

Superrayman3 Peppy Member

You might want to check the date on that last post before yours, you're resurrecting a thread that's been dead for 6 years, by this point it would probably be better if this thread was locked and a new thread about Dreamcast Virtua Fighter 4 was started instead.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  7. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Why do people have a problem with others bumping an old topic? I've never understood this. A bump could spark interest in the topic again and may even lead to some new information.

8. Kao

Kao Gutsy Member

Well, at least he was quite respectful in calling attention to the necro :)

9. Yakumo

True. I don't have a problem with Superrayman3 at all, just the idea of bumping an old thread is something bad.

10. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Same here.. What, is the info in it dated? So what, all knowledge is good knowledge.

11. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

I'd also be interested in anything related to VF4 on the DC. Let's hope this does indeed lead to some new information being brought to the table.

12. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

If you're going to bump a thread this old (6 years), you should at least contribute something to it. Otherwise it's utterly pointless.

13. Yakumo

I'm not too sure about that. You see, he had nothing really to add to the thread but it's been fun reading through this thread again. There's stuff which I had forgotten about which I could learn again. I mean, bumping an old sales thread is pointless but something like this could have some value I feel to new users who have never read the thread and to older users for refreshing their memory.

14. chao2

chao2 Rising Member

I've been searching online for more information on Virtua fighter 4 for a while but I couldn't find anything and I was hoping new info would come if I responded here. Also there was a lot of info here mostly on virtua fighter 3 but I didn't want to open another thread and have all this old information be put on it. It's so hard to find info on cancelled dreamcast games like Shinobi, Ninja Gaiden, and jet set radio future.

15. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

Virtua Fighter 4 for the Dreamcast is one of those non-games that I file in a category personally known as "move along, there is nothing left to see here." In other words, the myth is greater (and far more tantalising) than any reality... Yu Suzuki had AM2 conduct extensive research to determine whether NAOMI 2 ports could ever meet his own high standard of quality expectation, but when the team's results confirmed such efforts were indeed outside the limitations of Sega's console he instead chose to switch target platform, likely influenced by his employer's recent move into third party publishing. If anything does exist beyond the released PS2 version, it's probably nothing beyond a simple internal tech demo.

16. chao2

chao2 Rising Member

If there was a tech demo I wonder how it would look compared to the ps2 version. Do you have anymore info other cancelled dreamcast projects?

17. saturndual32

saturndual32 Active Member

Anthaemia, correct me if i am wrong, since i am not a tech guy. You say Suzuki probably skipped work on a port of VF4 for DC, because the hardware couldnt handle it to Suzukis high stardard. But i would think that the DC could have handled a closer port of VF4 to the original, than the Saturn could of Virtua Fighter 3, and you have for years compiled info that says that VF3 for Saturn was a reality, and Suzuki himself was behind it. So rather than hardware issues, i think the big reason for no VF4 on DC, had more to do with the demise of the DC, and Sega focusing on third party development.

18. xaeroxcore

xaeroxcore Rapidly Rising Member

I´m agree with you. Naomi 2 is more powerful than DC and even PS2, but despite the fact that DC is weaker that even PS2, and in theory a port of Virtua Fighter 4 to DC would be visually more compromised than it was in PS2 version, DC has the base architecture which the Naomi 2 is built. That means that porting something wouldn´t be that hard, despite the extra technology that makes the Naomi 2 a more powerfull system than DC. I think that DC can hadle VF4. Geometry wise, the PS2 models od characters (7-8k polys per character) are not out of the DC league (DOA 2 handle 7-9k polys per character). I don´t see stages aout of the DC league too, comparing again with DOA 2, but may be they can cut some stuffs here and there, and make it look closer that the PS2 ver. I think that the most noticeable cutdowns would be in lighting and some post processing effects department (here ps2 and specially Naomi both has tech superior than DC). Despite that...we would have the fighter that DC would deserve at the end of it´s commercial life.

19. Billden55

Billden55 Robust Member

All the Admins say comment on the old things and try not to fill up the forums i guess.

20. Esppiral

Esppiral Gutsy Member

Well the game was heavily downgraded to fit on the ps2 hardware, so in the end he skipped his "high quality standards", I don't see why he wouldn't do the same to port it to the Dreamcast.