Virtua Fighter 4 dreamcast ...any info??

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by saturn_worship, Sep 22, 2007.

1. saturn_worship

saturn_worship Intrepid Member

I was just asking myself today if there was any remaining info in the shape of documents..pictures...proto...etc of any kind of a possible port of the arcade virtua fighter 4 to the dreamcast...

2. Gamemaster14XIV

Gamemaster14XIV The Master of All Games

Since the game was on Naomi 2 the which has like 4 times the memory of dreamcast they probably would have had to downgrade it quite a bit in order to get it to run on dreamcast.

I personally havent heard anything about a dreamcast version since the arcade version came out in 2001 and by then the dreamcast want doing all that well.

3. thamasha69

thamasha69 Peppy Member

The Japanese version of Shenmue 2 LE has a VF4 passport disc. I only played it like once...if I remember correctly it has some vids of the game. Ill have to pop it in and see if I get a chance to hook the DC up. Never got online with the NTSC-J dc, but this disc also says VF.net so I presume there was some web stuff too. Hope this helps. I can post pics of the disc if you want.

4. saturn_worship

that would be REALLY cool

5. thamasha69

thamasha69 Peppy Member

Okay I just took some pics. Here is a pic of Shenmue II LE in which the VF4 disc is packaged:
    [​IMG]

The disc itself:
    [​IMG]

The back of the case the disc is in:
    [​IMG]

And this is what is underneath where the disc rests in the case, presumeably instructions:
    [​IMG]

6. saturn_worship

7. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I have them as well. The Virtua Fighter History disc is cool but the VF4 Passport is just an online arcade ranking page. Nothing to do with the Dreamcast. however the game was said to be coming to the Dreamcast by Sega themselves. Maybe these Virtua Fighter goodies was their way of saying sorry. After all it doesn't really make sense making a Dreamcast disk to access arcade online ranking when a PC could do the job better.

Yakumo

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  8. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

The game was never started for the DC.

They evaluated the system compared to the arcade platform and decided that the compromise was to be too great.

This was mentioned in an interview of the PS2 versions if i remember correctly.

9. saturn_worship

Yes,,, the thing is that i wasn't really into videogames anymore in the death of dreamcast, then i don't remember exactly how the things went...

What a sad thing the Dreamcast, i really liked that console, but.. it lacked some soft from SEGA, and watch SEGA make games for playstation.. .. damn!

Besides Propeller Arena and Shenmue 3... didn't am2 got anything more in the hands for Dreamcast?'?

Sorry for my english, today isn't my day.

10. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Didn't AM2 do 18 Wheeler, Fighting Vipers 2, Virtual Cop 2 and F355 Challenge?

Yakumo

11. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

Yup they sure did. It was amazing how they got f355 to run on dreamcast when the arcade ran on multiple boards. Though Yu Suzuki said they got it to work by making the code more optimized.

12. SatanicSurfer

SatanicSurfer Member

The Arcade version uses 1 Naomi-Board for each Monitor, so one DC will work with 1 TV ;)

EDIT: System16.com says "This game uses 3 screens for the display and 4 Naomi boards (1 board for each screen, 1 to tie it all up)"

13. saturn_worship

Is real or is fake the rumour that says "shenmue 2 moves 12.000.000 polygons" ???

14. Barc0de

well depends on the context.

when a said console can produce approx 3.000.000 polygons a second, assuming 30frames per second, you can afford to have approx. 100.000 polygones per processed frame. Maybe you read 120.000? This figure could hold true at some points, where the drop in frame-rate is noticeable.

15. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

Right. 12 million is a crazy number for the DC.

16. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

Barc0de hit the proverbial nail right on its head with his post about Virtua Fighter 4, as Yu Suzuki himself confirmed that preliminary research led to AM2 concluding any Dreamcast conversion would be too compromised for the high level of satisfaction fans demanded from this series. However, that previously didn't stop them from wasting several months and their main programming team on a Saturn treatment of VF3 that was ultimately rejected in favour of Genki's flawed Dreamcast effort. Anyway, while I'm sure homebrewers could do much better (presumably with less environmental detail), didn't Le Mans 24 Hours by Infogrammes' Melbourne House studio push 8m polygons at 60fps, or was this just a myth that has "snowballed" over the years?

17. Barc0de

I reckon it's a myth. I ve played Le Mans extensively, and although it's a nicely done game, the geometry count is nowhere near 8 mil, neither does it really need to.

PS: the amount of geometry that a console can push is the result of some fairly simple math if you know the right input numbers.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  18. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

Homebrewers most definitely could not do a better job of porting VF4 to the DC than AM2. Sumo Digital could of, probably, if they had existed at the time.

The dev team for Le Mans 24h claimed their engine pushed 5million polys a second at 30fps, which is believeable for a racing game.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  19. Gamemaster14XIV

Gamemaster14XIV The Master of All Games

I wish we could somehow get the saturn version of vf3.

20. saturn_worship

haha! who doesn't wish that?