Verifying Sega Saturn Rips/Backups

Discussion in 'Sega Discussion' started by PearlJammzz, Sep 13, 2018.

1. PearlJammzz

PearlJammzz Member

For some consoles there are complete lists available such as tosec, trurip, goodroms, no-intro, etc. and often times there are certain releases that are considered the 'best' for a particular console. I have been unable to find anything like this for the Sega Saturn. Over the years I have accumulated a LOT of Sega Saturn game rips from as far back as the early days of SegaXtreme in 99-00 to even some of the new rom sites out there. Some of these games are obviously iso+mp3 and are easy enough to identify but I want to clean up my directory and verify which are good, accurate rips and which ones aren't.

Is there any way to do this? Is there any program + file I could load and run against my downloads to verify the rips? I have almost a terabyte of various Saturn stuff from over the last almost 20 years that I'd love to cleanup, organize, and verify. Any help in doing so would be MUCH appreciated.

2. pool7

pool7 Site Supporter 2014

Redump.org is said to have the most accurate rips for most/all optical disc based platforms.
    That being said, you should download the "dat" from the corresponding website (ie. for each preservation project), then use a tool such as RomVault or clrmamepro to validate your rips/backups against the dat.
    Keep in mind this will only tell you what you have (and whether it matches the known rips/dumps) and what you're missing. If you have more than one rip/dump from various preservation projects, it is up to you to decide which one to keep.

3. PearlJammzz

PearlJammzz Member

Yeah, that sounds perfect. As long as I have a good place to start. I am suspecting a lot of my old games are iso/mp3 that have been converted to bin/cue. In fact, there are a few that have the audio completely changed out even so those for sure are 'bad'.

I'll look into those redump dat files and the two tools to use them. Thank you!

4. PearlJammzz

PearlJammzz Member

Some of the redump Saturn naming convention has syntax I've never seen before. Most notably (1M) (2M) (2M, 3M), etc. What exactly does this refer to? I see several games with this (mostly Japanese games it seems) but I am unfamiliar with what it's supposed to denote.