Various unreleased and beta games

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Youloute, May 12, 2011.

1. Youloute

Youloute Robust Member

Gazza II - GX4000 - unreleased (Player One 05 - january 1991)
    [​IMG]

Blandia - Arcade - unreleased (but dumped) (Joypad 13 - October 1992)
    [​IMG]

Rise of the Robots - Arcade - unreleased (CD Consoles 5 - march 1995)
    [​IMG]

Hover Strike - Jaguar - unreleased (CD Consoles 5 march - 1995)
    [​IMG]

Hyper Force - Jaguar - unreleased (CD Consoles 5 march - 1995)
    [​IMG]

T-Mek - Jaguar - unreleased (CD Consoles 5 - march - 1995)
    [​IMG]

Creature Shock - Jaguar CD - unreleased (CD Consoles 5 - march - 1995)
    [​IMG]

Ishar Genesis - Jaguar CD - unreleased (CD Consoles 5 - march - 1995)
    [​IMG]

Jack Niklaus Golf - Jaguar CD - unreleased (CD Consoles 5 - march - 1995)
    [​IMG]

KGRAMR likes this.
  2. Wesker

Wesker Spirited Member

Nice! I knew Lost Eden was planned for the Mega-CD, but not the fact that it was the same with Dragon Lore.

Too bad, as these two are among the best Cryo Interactive games.

3. Tempest_2084

Tempest_2084 Spirited Member

Hover Strike was released for the Jaguar CD. Hyper Force was also picked up and released by Songbird later on (on cartridge, not CD).

4. Youloute

Youloute Robust Member

Tempest_2084> As for the Mega Drive and the Mega-CD, sometimes it's pretty hard to tell on which format the game was planned: cartridge, CD or both?
    Nevertheless, thanks for the info. And thanks to everybody for the other replies.

Tinypic doesn't seem to work right now. Next update tomorrow.

5. Youloute

Youloute Robust Member

Command & Conquer - 3DO - unreleased (CD Consoles 4 - february 1995)
    [​IMG]

Hammerhead - 3DO - unreleased (CD Consoles 8 - june 1995)
    [​IMG]

Tales of Phantasia - Super Famicom - Beta (Consoles + 42 - April 1995)
    [​IMG]
    Different HUD.

Dungeon & Dragons - Playstation - unreleased (Consoles + 76 - May 1998)
    [​IMG]
    It says Capcom officially canceled the port.

Shining Force III - Playstation - unreleased (Gameplay RPG 27 - March 2001)
    [​IMG]
    Since Sega has released a few games on the first Playstation, why not.

Pro Striker '95 - 32X - unreleased (CD Consoles 9 - july 1995)
    [​IMG]

Star Wars Episode One - Game.Com - unreleased (Player One 98 - june 1999)
    [​IMG]

KGRAMR likes this.
  6. Tempest_2084

Tempest_2084 Spirited Member

Interesting thing about Hammerhead. It actually ended up getting a release, but not on the 3DO. It was renamed Skyhammer and then released on the Jaguar. I had no idea 3DO version was ever in the works.

7. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Shining Force would have never been released on the PlayStation. No 1st party saturn games were ported to the PlayStation. Also with that being in the march issue it possibly could have been an early April's Fool joke.

8. Youloute

Youloute Robust Member

Actually, what makes me think it was possible is that the same month (February 2001 - the March issue contains informations released in february), Sega announced Sonic Advance for the GBA.

9. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

My understanding has always been that by Camelot (formerly Sonic! Software Planning) was never a first party developer, although Sega owned the rights to the Shining series, preventing it from appearing on rival platforms. However, by 2001 this was no longer the case, so it's very possible that Working Designs planned to convert and publish Shining Force III for the PlayStation. I believe it was even mentioned around this point that Sega intended to release some of its biggest Saturn-era titles for Sony's machine, but while I don't remember the exact list, it definitely included Virtua Fighter 2, NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon and a new 3D side-scrolling remake of the original Sonic The Hedgehog. Of course none of these ever saw the light of day, yet it's likely the AGES 2500 budget range grew out of this abandoned concept. I'd sure love to know more about what exactly may have been on the cards, plus it would be great to finally locate the source of this particular rumour as it was heavily covered on various sites back in the day... can anyone help me?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  10. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

wait, this was anounced in 2001? Who would care about PlayStation at that point. Surely if they were going to port Shining Force 3 then it would have been to the PlayStation 2?

11. Anthaemia.

I knew nothing about even the possibility of Shining Force III being PlayStation-bound until I saw this magazine article, though a 2001 release date seems likely... let's not forget that Working Designs' localisation of Magic Knight Rayearth for the Saturn came out just over three years after the original Japanese version!

12. Youloute

Youloute Robust Member

Indeed, though it's now well known its release was delayed due to a crash of WD's hard drive, so the translation had to be re-made from scratch. Talking about localizations of Saturn games, Victor Ireland mentionned a few canceled games in this thread.
    _Blast Wind
    _Hyper Duel
    _Lunar Silver Star Story
    _Thunderforce Gold Pack 1
    _Thunderforce Gold Pack 2

On a related subject, here is a little list of WD canceled localizations/port I've heard about on Mega-CD:
    _Ys IV: never released on Mega-CD
    _After Armageddon Gaiden: The game was renamed A Side Story of Armageddon in NA, but I think WD would have released it months after Lunar Eternal Blue since they couldn't translate and release 2 games simultaneously (After Armageddon Gaiden was released in november 1994 in Japan, one month before Lunar 2 but the second one certainly was a better choice). I'm not sure the translation's work had ever begun but the game was officialy announced in NA.
    _WD tried to release Cosmic Fantasy 3 and 4 but failed. IIRC, Victor Ireland didn't want to release Cosmic Fantasy 1 and 2 on Sega CD since he already did it for the PCE.
    _They also tried to release Keio and Urusei Yatsura, but didn't obtain the rights for the first one and it's often said Rumiko Takahashi didn't want to see Urusei Yatsura being released in NA since she thought NA public couldn't understand her humor.

13. Vlcice

Vlcice Active Member

That sounds a bit odd to me, since Animeigo had already released close to 20 VHS volumes of the TV show by 1994.

Another unreleased WD game: on their site, they mentioned that Hudson had commissioned them for a translation of Elfaria 2 for SNES. Their "About Us" page also lists King of the Monsters 2 for TG16 as a cancelled game.

14. Vlcice

Vlcice Active Member

Sorry to doublepost, but here's the source for the Shining Force PS1 rumour. Sega did confirm they were working on porting Saturn games to PS1, and Shining Force was the only one mentioned by name: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2001/02/03/shining-force-iii-headed-to-playstation I read this story on IGN "back in the day"; I'm pretty sure this is the source of the story.

They didn't confirm that SF3 was definitely being released, just strongly hinted. In fact as far as I'm aware they never announced any games before quietly abandoning the idea. I don't think I ever saw anything that implied Working Designs was connected. Is the French magazine confusing Shining Force with Shining Wisdom? That's the only Shining game WD had anything to do with.

15. Youloute

Youloute Robust Member

Gameplay RPG wasn't what I would call a reliable magazine. They clearly made a mistake in this article.
    It seems WD wanted to release games which never saw the light of day in any territory: Ys IV (Mega-CD, King of the Monsters II (PCE)...
    By the way, thanks for the link.

I read many times in interviews or articles that Rumiko Takahashi didn't understand how non japanese people could understand her stories. I know Urusei Yatsura was one of the "first" mangas released in North America, so that sounds odd to me too. To be honest, I don't remember where I found this info. The rest of the list was confirmed by Victor Ireland himself.

16. Anthaemia.

Here's a much earlier magazine article that I found in my project research archive, which mentions Three Dirty Dwarves as another possible Saturn-to-PlayStation game:

Sega Soft Plans PlayStation Titles
    Formerly the development arm of Sega, Sega Soft operates as an independent software publisher, focusing on games for the Saturn, PC, and Internet. Now, directly contradicting prior statements, Sega Soft plans to make PlayStation games and won't rule out the other next-gen systems as possible homes for its games.
    Although Sega Soft doesn't currently have a PlayStation license from Sony, the company is "looking into" PlayStation development, according to a spokesperson. "Our primary focus is PC and Internet games, but games for console systems are third in line," the spokesperson said, adding that Sega Soft's tentative PlayStation plans include Three Dirty Dwarves, due out this fall, and a racing game, Roach Rally, due out in early 1997.
    As far as other systems go, Sega Soft won't rule out development for the Nintendo 64. But Joe Miller, Sega Soft's executive vice president and chief technical officer, says that "until Nintendo provides an optical media format [such as a CD], it doesn't make sense for third-party developers to be in the cart business."
    For gamers, the move has few real ramifications beyond the addition of another top developer to the PlayStation ranks. It's significant, though, that a company that was once so closely tied to Sega now considers it an important business option to produce games for the Saturn's archrival. As Sega Soft's spokesperson said, "We're an independent company [from Sega] with an independent board. We're tied in name only, and it's an expanding market that doesn't just involve teenage boys anymore. We don't want to be tied down; we want to be involved in the whole gaming industry."

(SOURCE: GamePro #085 p16 - August 1996)

P.S. Roach Rally... was that ever released?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  17. Youloute

Youloute Robust Member

I was looking at this list of Segasoft games and found Rocket Jockey, which seems to be another unreleased racing game for Playstation (though it was available on PC).
    Rocket Jockey was developed by Rocket Science Games which was specialized in creating unreleased games:
    Dark Ride/ Darkside (32X / Saturn)
    Darwin Pond (PC)
    Ganymede (Playstation 1)
    Loadstar II (Mega-CD32X)
    Pest! (I don't know this one)
    Rocket Boy (Mega-CD / Mega-CD32X / Saturn)

Edit: They also planned to port Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and Loadstar 1 on Saturn. The same Loadstar which was announced for the 32X though it was already available on Mega-CD.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  18. Celine

Celine Gutsy Member

19. Youloute

Youloute Robust Member

Jet Pack - Game Boy - unreleased? (EGM 21 - April 1991)
    [​IMG]

Magic Sword - Super Famicom - Beta (EGM 33 - april 1992)
    [​IMG]
    The score doesn't appear on the screen.

Cool Spot - Super NES - Beta (EGM 35 - June 1992)
    [​IMG]
    An interesting one. The article is entitled Spot 2. Cool Spot was originally released on Mega Drive in Mai/june 1993, a few monthes before the Snes version.

Sim City 2000 - Super Famicom - beta (EGM 66 - january 1995)
    [​IMG]
    Different HUD.

Pop n' Twinbee - Super NES - Beta? (EGM 43 - february 1993)
    [​IMG]
    I haven't played to the game for years but I don't remember having seen this level.

Art of Fighting 2 - Neo-Geo - beta (EGM 55 - february 1994)
    [​IMG]
    The sky is blue in the final version.

Yuri's stage in better quality:
    [​IMG]

20. Kao

Kao Gutsy Member

Awesome stuff, Celine. Thanks! Even though Quest 64 wasn't that great of a game, it kind of holds a special place in my heart, weirdly. I love seeing prerelease content for it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012