Various unreleased and beta games

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Youloute, May 12, 2011.

1. Youloute

Youloute Robust Member

"I don't know what the name of the final version is" session. Please bear in mind that some of these games may be unreleased.

Straight guys - Playstation. (CD Consoles 8 - june 1995)
    [​IMG]

Sega Adventure - Saturn . (CD Consoles 8 - june 1995 + CD Consoles 11 - november 1995)
    Probably already discussed but its name is no the kind of names Google likes. It seems too early for Torico but it has the same kind of graphics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Untitled Konami Fighting Game - Nintendo 64 (Player One 71 - January 1997)
    [​IMG]

It looks like characters lacks some colors.

Somes unreleeased games:

Hashiriya GP - Super Famicom. (CD Consoles 3 - January 1995). Unreleased?
    [​IMG]

Fort Boyard le défi + Fort Boyard la Légende (2 different games) - CD-i (CD Consoles 11 - november 1995)
    [​IMG]
    The first picture is taken from Toh Shin Den. Fort Boyard is a famous french TV show.

Duckman - Playstation (CD Consoles 24 - January 1997). Released on PC.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Metal F. Tank / F. Tank - Playstation (CD Consoles 4 - february 1995 + CD Consoles 8 - june 1995).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Released as Metal Rage on PC.

2. Celine

Celine Gutsy Member

First one looks like Jupiter Strike.

Second one was released as Airs Adventure.

Third one I was never able to find what game it was or the name.

Fourth one should be Bike Daisuki! Hashiriya Kon - Rider's Spirits.

Didn't know F Tank was released.
    Was the VR headset released with it?
    That was the most interesting feature of the game.

EDIT:
    Seems to have been this one:
    http://museum.bounce-gaming.net/vfx1.html

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  3. Celine

Celine Gutsy Member

Some random stuff from my last researches.

This article talk about the planned N64 game by Utopia Technologies (we know it was Montezuma Revenge).
    But it is more interesting because it talk about another unknown project by the developer, a third person action game.
    [​IMG]

Was D-Jump planned for N64 too (can't read french)? The images in the first page looks like artworks while the ones in the second seems realtime screenshots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Exhumed 64 would have been entirely 3D.
    [​IMG]

Article about Glover 2
    [​IMG]

A preview about Hardcore:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A preview about Jest
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Article that narrate in detail the story behind Quest 64 sequel:
    [​IMG]

Could have been the best N64 Rally game...
    [​IMG]

Super Real Island (64DD):
    [​IMG]

Nice preview about Survivor Day One:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Type X Spiral Nightmare
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

A new, higher quality direct feed source of the Sonic X-treme promo clip from Sega's E3 1996 booth has recently surfaced, along with the company's full sizzle reel for the first ever time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue-jo2qWiFA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsM25uL6MMU

I've never actually seen the "Mario Who?" segment before, so this is a great find... I can only begin to imagine what other Saturn-related material could still appear after all these years!

5. Youloute

Youloute Robust Member

Anthaemia> It's great to see Sonic Xtreme in such video-quality. The older footages of the game was a bit too Mega-CD friendly.
    This arcade version of ManxTT would be nice on my old Saturn.

Celine> thanks!

Since I wasn't a PC player back in the day, I couldn't tell without some research.

This article talks about this version. The game itself reminds me of Little Big Adventure 2.

Rally Master: hard to believe a N64 can handle that level of graphics by looking at the big screenshot of the game.

On the top of the Type X Spiral Nightmare's preview, it says RPG Maker will have an european release on Playstation.

Canceled localizations:

Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shogun Magginesu - Super NES, North America (Player One 39 - february 94)
    [​IMG]

Ubisoft publishing Renovations' games in Europe (Sega Force - janvier 1992)
    [​IMG]

Unreleased/rumored games - Mega-CD edition:

Apros (GameFan - february 93):
    [​IMG]

Clue (EGM 66 - January 95):
    [​IMG]

Bart Simpson Mega-CD pack in (EGM 35)
    [​IMG]

I've never heard about a simpson game on Mega-CD.

Dragon's Tales (Joypad 27 - January 1994)
    [​IMG]

Lost Eden was listed in the same issue. Bullshit-o-meter: to the max!

Rise of the Robots (Player One 42 - april 94)
    [​IMG]
    According to one of the developer who worked on the Mega Drive, its development never started.

Stone Keeper (Joypad 23 - september 93):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unknown futuristic racing Game by Mindscape (Joypad 27 - november 1993)
    [​IMG]

6. BLUamnEsiac

BLUamnEsiac ɐɹnɔsqO ʇᴉq-8

Excellent find, thanks for sharing. It's a bit ironic that it was Mario that would define 3D platformers instead of Sonic. It's a shame, because Sonic X-treme had some interesting features.

7. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I'm a big fan of Sonic but even with that new video it's clear to see that Sonix Xterem would have been another shitty Bug! type of game. I just looks so awful and fiddly to be any good.

8. f2bnp

f2bnp Peppy Member

Stone Keeper is actually Stone Keep, a CRPG released in 1995. Great game too!

9. Celine

Celine Gutsy Member

> Unknown futuristic racing Game by Mindscape (Joypad 27 - november 1993)
    Probably Mega Race.

10. Youloute

Youloute Robust Member

f2bnp > Indeed. Released on PC only.

Celine> At first, I thought about MegaRace but it was released on PC in 1993, so its name was probably known at the time. Plus, Cryo was the developer of the original game. Though, Mindscape was the publisher of the 3DO version.

Playstation 1:

Motor Toon Grand Prix - beta/target render (Console + 34 - Summer 1994)
    [​IMG]

Super Racer - tentative name. Unreleased? (CD Consoles 6 - april 1995)
    [​IMG]

Flux. Unreleased? (Playmag 8 - november 1996)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Presto. Unreleased? (Playmag 8 - november 1996)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Playstation 2:

L'arc en ciel. Unreleased (Player One 101 - oct 1999)
    [​IMG]

Magical Sports Go Go Golf - beta (Player One 101 - oct 99)
    [​IMG]

Sunrise Eiyusho - unreleased? (Player One 99 - July 99)
    [​IMG]

11. Anthaemia.

I don't care what anyone from STI says... that build of Sonic Xtreme (assuming it was genuine Saturn code in the first place) seen in the E3 promotional video looks too much like BUG! for it not to be using the same engine, or at least a heavily modified version of the same basic foundation. In fact, it seems all they bothered to add was the 360-degree physics system and fish eye lens camera effect. The development team responsible for BUG! and its sequel were also US-based, and I reckon they may have passed on a few assets so that Sega weren't left showing blank screens at their E3 booth. Just a few weeks later, they gained access to the NiGHTS engine, but it's claimed Yuji Naka threw his now-infamous tantrum around two weeks later, shutting down this particular episode of Xtreme's troubled production. Even the final "Project Condor" effort failed to create anything worthwhile, and it wasn't much longer after that when STI disappeared for good. Let's face it - borrowing resources from similarly talented groups couldn't help this game!

I'm certainly not knocking STI, as it was behind some truly fantastic pieces of software in such a short period of time. On the other hand, it speaks volumes that by the end it was reduced to collaborating with AM1 on Die Hard Arcade. The once promising bubble had well and truly burst by 1997, though it's not as if the likes of Comix Zone, The Ooze or Sonic Spinball were even that successful. These days only a handful of people would ever consider defending STI's titles, including a rapidly-shrinking number of Sonic fanatics who still believe Xtreme would have actually been a good idea. If the overall concept was so fantastic, how come it was cancelled rather than just delayed? Also, why hasn't Sega recycled its key features yet? Deep down we all know the real answer to these questions, though as I said before this entire chapter in Sega's history has been elevated to mythical status whether it deserved to be or not. By then Sonic Team had already given up on their mascot, probably because they knew his 16-bit heights would never again be reached.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  12. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

The game shown above on the PlayStation called Super Racer is in fact Race Driving "Real Mode". This was released on the Saturn in high resolution but not at all on the PlayStation.

13. slayer2k8

slayer2k8 <B>Site Supporter 2011</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Sunrise Eiyusho looks like sunrise eiyuutan on the dreamcast
    The description sounds the same

14. Youloute

Youloute Robust Member

slayer2k8> Sunrise Eiyuutan R was released in 2000 on PS2 and it has the same kind of CGs in its Opening. Though, I'm still not sure it's this one since there are many games attached to sunrise and to this series in particular.

Yakumo > The Playstation version was released in 1996 and was entitled "Race Drivin' a Go! Go!" but still looks like a very early version of a racing game. I don't know if there are many differences between the two versions, but it strange they take so much time to finish the Playstation port. Maybe the magazine was wrong about the machine.

Anthaemia > I think that when I was 12 or 13, Sonic Xtreme looked like a decent game partly due to the very bad video quality. It reminds me the day I watched Keio's flying squadron's opening in its Saturn version: the Mega-CD looked better because the grain hide its poor quality (also, thanks to my imagination).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  15. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  16. Anthaemia.

I know Sonic Xtreme never used the BUG! engine in reality, but these games just looked so similar... maybe that is why visitors from SOJ favoured the more individual-looking boss engine technology? As for ex-STI members (unintentionally) helping out Sonic Team during the production of Burning Rangers by creating transparency effect solutions as part of a later development kit's software libraries, I seem to recall this being mentioned long ago as well - I'm just tired of continuing to read comments from people who believe Xtreme would have made a difference in the Saturn's overall fate when even some of the best programming teams within Sega couldn't manage to change its outcome. At best, it would probably have been filed in the same category as Sonic 3D or Sonic R: a bizarre tangent and stopgap until Yuji Naka's group came out with the next proper sequel. Even then, Sonic Adventure isn't worthy of comparison with the classic 16-bit trilogy, though your opinion may vary on just how close it came to reaching these heights.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  17. slayer2k8

slayer2k8 <B>Site Supporter 2011</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Youloute Sunrise Eiyuutan was released in December 99 five months after Sunrise Eiyusho is listed probably one in the same

18. Youloute

Youloute Robust Member

Yes, but I was talking about the PS2 version. ;)

19. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

Exhumed 64? Never heard about it, very nice!

20. Celine

Celine Gutsy Member

It seems that contrary to what that article says, Exhumed 64 used a third-person view (IGN).
    So it seems likely that it was the N64 version of Exhumed 2/Powerslave 2:
    http://www.unseen64.net/2011/08/15/powerslave-2-psx-pc-cancelled/

The other N64 game Lobotomy had in development prior to Crave acquisition was the mysterious Aquaria.