Validity of a (kinda) new EB64 clip?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by BetaGuy64, May 3, 2019.

1. BetaGuy64

BetaGuy64 A convincing argument away from buying EB64

Hey, here goes me filling up the "Unreleased Games Discussion" category again but this time it's regarding something that could be worthwhile.

Someone on an EB64-related Discord server I'm a part of ran across this video file on Starmen.net (which I still haven't been able to locate since) that's about ~10 seconds long. Pretty much, it's just a trailer bit, but it has sound that corresponds with what's on screen pretty well.

This is the trailer bit in good sound and video quality. I'd recommend you check this one out, as there's a very noticeable quality difference from the YouTube video: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=53192789644604266534

The file is about 7 MB, but if you're not super inclined to downloading random things from strangers you see on the internet, here's a (cloudy) video containing that same file:

I would HIGHLY encourage you download the file, as the video doesn't do it justice.

Note, the footage obviously isn't from Spaceworld, recording-wise. The file/bit could be. Server Guy, who I know, submitted the video to the YouTube Guy who has an archive website. The YouTube Guy then posted it (that "Server guy" is also the one who told me about this video's existence and showed it to me). Basically, we gave it to the guy who uploaded it, and for some reason, he claimed it as Spaceworld video footage for some reason. If you know anything about it, fake or not, let me know. Otherwise this looks sorta legit. Cool find, even if it's fake.

Thoughts?

***Edit: Formatting. Don't really know if I need to post edits.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  2. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Interesting for sure, as the sound is very convincing. It is a little strange for a version with sound to pop up, I mean the original trailer didn't have those sounds, so where would this clip come from? Why is it cut short?
    If it's real though, very cool. Even the slightest bit of new info on this game is a good find.

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  3. BetaGuy64

Really the most convincing part of it is how high quality the sound effects are. It's been known that the Spaceworld demo had parts where you could view certain cutscenes, this might be part of that possibly? That's my theory. The Mother 3 booth at Spaceworld also had the whole trailer playing on a few displays, but I don't believe this clip is from that. I really think this would be from the demo itself.

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  4. speedyink

That was actually why I thought it could be fake, you know, like someone just overlaying some sound effects. But I don't recognize them from anything else, and they fit the game extremely well. Would be very cool if this is footage from the Spaceworld demo!

BetaGuy64 likes this.
  5. BetaGuy64

One more thing to mention, but the identifiable music (Big Shot's Theme) also seems slightly higher in quality in comparison to the IGN trailer. If this were fake, it would probably be a bit more complicated than overlaid sound effects.

speedyink likes this.
  6. speedyink

I thought that was the case, it's very clean in the video file you provided.

BetaGuy64 likes this.
  7. BetaGuy64

Addendum: I uploaded the trailer bit to my YT channel.

8. awbacon

awbacon Robust Member

Pull the video into an NLE and check the Bitrate / waveform of the audio.

Check that against other known clips of Earthbound

Look for discrepancies in Bitrate / waveform if identical sounds.

I know nothing about Earthbound 64 except it was cancelled, but I am a filmmaker so audio wise that’s what I’d look for. The audio sounds a little too nice for the quality of the video for me. Just an opinion though

Keiji Dragon likes this.