Using redump-style ISOs on Xbox HDD

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by howling, Jun 8, 2016.

1. howling

howling Member

Howdy everyone,

I recently softmodded my Xbox and swapped in a 2TB HDD for playing games. I already have my games dumped redump-style (regular ISO, ~8GB) so that I can verify they're good dumps.

I know that the Xbox can only support ~4GB files, and prefers individual files and folders. My question is, how can I use these verified dumps on my Xbox? All of the XISO programs reject my regular ISOs, and I can't just FTP the files, as they are too large.

EDIT: Alternatively, if there's an XISO or XBE datfile or database out there, that would also be helpful. My main concern is that the dumps I am using on the Xbox are accurate.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  2. DinohScene

DinohScene Site Supporter 2014

As far as I know, if your ISO's are good, you can just rip them with Qwix.
    The old Xbox unfortunately doesn't support the loading of ISO images.

3. howling

howling Member

I just tried to convert the ISO9660 dumps using Qwix 1.01 (on Win10) , and it doesn't seem to work. I am using the "Create ISO" - > "Convert ISO" option, and I just get a 576KB ISO file with nothing in it.

Any ideas?

4. MightySubzero

MightySubzero Rising Member

Just Extract the ISO And FTP it to your xbox. I use PowerISO to extract the ISO like a Zip File. Then FTP the games to the xbox Hard drive.

5. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Did you try using the Xbox optical drive to rip the discs directly to the HDD? It'll be slow, but avoids messing with transferring or ISOs.

6. weinerschnitzel

weinerschnitzel Spirited Member

Which games was it that took advantage of the filesystem on the DVD so the filenames were too long to rip to FATX?

7. Rocky5

Rocky5 Site Supporter 2015

You can't extract the ISO or convert it with any of the Xbox iso tools, you would need to burn it to a dual layer disc first & rip it to the Xbox HDD as ISO or files using DVD2Xbox.

The ISO is made up of two layers, layer 1 is the video layer (DVD video you get when inserting a Xbox disc into a PC or DVD player) second layer is the game files.
    (The reason they ripped this way is to get a 1.1 copy of the disc for historical/archiving purposes. Not for folk to play them.)

You could try software that can read multi session ISO "ISO Buster" does I think & rip the data layer.

If you wanted it to work on the Xbox without doing the above, you would need to delete the first layer of the ISO can't remember the offset (will check tomorrow) and then convert it with qwix. After that you would need to split the ISO into two parts, look at the discimageutility source for the exact size & find a tool that just splits files.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  8. MightySubzero

MightySubzero Rising Member

You can Extract The ISO with Power ISO.. It will extract the ISO in file format.. Meaning it will have all the files including the default.xbe

Just extract it with PowerISO and FTP it to you xbox games folder. Might look like this F:\Games\(name of Game)

9. howling

howling Member

I could definitely do this. However, I would really rather not redump 70+ discs a second time (and there's a chance I could get bad reads when doing so.)

PowerISO's extract operation was only able to find the first layer of the ISO9660 dump (VIDEO_TS), not the second layer with the actual game data. I would assume that this would work if it were a single-layer rip or XISO.

Well that's disappointing. I figured that might be the case, but I noticed there was a lot of ISO9660 support in many of the Xbox applications.

I didn't realize that was the trick they were using. How clever. And yeah, archival and consistency are the primary benefits of dumping the discs this way.

Isobuster only sees the first layer on an initial load. Running "Find files and folders" causes it to find the second "XBOX" iso layer, but it's unable to extract or view the information within.

If by offset you mean the layer break, it's typically at offset 1913776. How exactly would I use this offset to break off the XBOX iso layer?

10. Rocky5

Try GX XGD Extract it's meant to extract xgd isos.

11. howling

howling Member

Brilliant! I didn't even think about using 360 tools to extract this data.

For everyone who also wants to extract Xbox ISO9660 dumps, GX XGD Extract is the most convenient program, as it can extract and FTP the files directly to an Xbox. However, the program will crash on games with nonstandard file setups (e.g. Ninja Gaiden).

The more compatible option is actually Xbox Backup Creator's "Image Tools"->"Image Browser" window, which hasn't had a problem with any of my discs. The downside, of course, is that you have to extract the files to your PC before transferring them via FTP.

Thanks again to everyone who gave an answer!

12. Rocky5

There is a stand alone version that doesn't require XBC "Xbox_Image_Browse_v2.9.0.350" is the file name, not sure if there is a newer version though.

Xbox_Image_Browse_v2.9.0.350.zip

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  13. nitro322

nitro322 Newly Registered

howling,

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I'm in a similar situation as you. I really like to validate my rips against a a known good set, and redump appears to be the best (only?) available for Xbox ISOs. I'm at a slightly different point in the process, though - I'm having trouble figuring out how to actually rip the games to ISO. So far, the only methods I've been able to find are to copy the contents of the disc via FTP, or rip an image on my computer using a specially modified DVD drive (https://web.archive.org/web/20150419060228/http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?title=Microsoft_XBOX - using the archive.org link as redump.org is currently down).

How did you create your backups? Did you hunt down one of those special drives as the redump documentation suggestions, or were you able to find some way to create a proper rip from the console? I figure that should be doable - a softmodded Wii, for example, can create accurate dumps of both Wii and Gamecube games - but I can't find any info about creating accurate 1:1 dumps from an Xbox console.

Would appreciate if you can share any details. Thanks.

14. Rocky5

You can only do it via a modded DVD Drive. Also the first layer is just some vob files and then a load of blank space until the second layers start offset.

Also you can't do this via the Xbox itself, you would need to write software to do it and also due to fatx only supporting up to 4GB files you would need to split the ISO. ( DVD2Xbox already rips to XISO format and creates the attach.xbe with the correct name )

I don't get the point archiving the vobs and the blank data as they are the same on all games other than the blank data being a little smaller to acomidate larger games. ( MGS 2 eg... )

So if you want to rip your games in a format your Xbox can read, then FTP the D drive to your PC and create an XISO from it or if qwix or c-Xbox tools support ripping via FTP then use them or use DVD2Xbox to rip to XISO and FTP over the game folder, then you have a bootable XISO ready for your Xbox HDD.

15. ToXZiN 1

ToXZiN 1 Spirited Member

You can also rip them using what's called the "hotswap method". You just need a DVD-ROM drive and a few programs. You basically do what people do for 360 with WX ripper only they use isobuster. If you google a bit I'm sure you can find some old tutorials. Easiest way I've found is to use a Xbox 360 0800 drive and open XBC and uncheck "use sector mapping(Xbox One)". This rips a complete 8GB image. Leaving the box checked will result in the smaller iso image as it has skipped the padding and .vob data.

Now, There is a way to use your full 8GB iso files on the original xbox. You need a Samsung SDG-605B drive and the ability to flash it's Firmware. This method used to be great for backing up games bc the backups worked on Xbox Live with a retail dash since it was just custom firmware. Nowadays, it really serves no purpose tbh. I still have my old backups that I play but rarely burn them out that way bc it's just not cost effective but I still use this method to backup all of my beta's. Here some info on the firmware if you were interested in it: https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/xbox-forum-57/80014-cracked-samsung-sdg-605b.html

16. nitro322

Thanks for the replies. Apologies for my own delay in replying back - I had setup an e-mail notification for replies, but they got dumped to my spam folder and I only just saw them.

Rocky5 - I don't disagree with any of your points, just like I said, I really like to create accurate rips that I can validate against known good dumps. The redump dat file is the only source I know of, hence my attempt to rip in that style. xiso sounds easier to work with (and apparently wastes far less space), but I'm reluctant to go that route without something equivalent to the redump dat file. I'm still just playing around with it, though - given the difficulty of even trying to do what I was originally thinking, I'll probably just end up dumping the xisos anyway.

One thing I'm not really clear on is the FATX size limitation you cite. The Wii has the same 4 GB limitation with standard FAT32 partitions, but the developers found ways around that - it's possible to rip the game directly to the filesystem like DVD2Xbox, or use cleanrip to create an ISO. CleanRip let's you dump a split iso to a FAT32 partition on an attached USB device, or even write the full ISO to an NTFS partition. I was initially expecting to do the same kind of thing on the Xbox, but I guess xiso was considered good enough and nobody got around to creating a good general purpose ripper like CleanRip?

Note: I don't mean any of that as disrespect. I completely missed the whole xbox hacking scene, so I have no idea of the history or limitations involved, just surprised me as I began to look into this. Hence my reaching out here to make sure I'm not missing something. :)

ToXZiN - thanks for the tip on the "hotswap method". I'll do some searching and see how that works. As for playing the games, I'm perfectly content to convert the raw isos for installation on the xbox like howling did. It's just the preserved copy on my computer that I'd like to be as accurate as possible - should anything happen to my xbox or the original game disc, I should always be able to create another valid copy from the backup.

Anyway, thanks again for the replies. Much appreciated.

17. Rocky5

How I dumped my games and how you get valid redump dumps. ( I have a Kreon drive )
    xbox-1-dumping-instructions
    The forum is offline due to a server hdd failure, so don't know when it's going to be back online.

There is no workaround for the fatx 4GB file limit, so we will never get larger than 4GB files on the hdd. There is however a work around for the ISO files where the virtual drive will mount multiple ISO files in the same directory as the attached xbe.
    ( drive image utility has info on this, how to split the ISO files and what size eg... )

Also the ISO files and discs don't have the fatx limitations as they don't use the fatx file system, this is how some games used large file names for game files to combat piracy. ( well playing of the hdd )

You can use DVD2Xbox to rip to XISO format and this will just create a directory with the name of the game in your games folder, along with a default.xbe and the ISO file/files. ( if the game is larger than 4GB you will get two ISO files ) There is also a xbe that can be used to rip disc included with the drive image utility.
    ( DVD2Xbox incorporated the source from drive image utilises )
    Drive image utilities info

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  18. nitro322

Thanks for the additional info. I was playing with DVD2Xbox last night, but had some trouble ripping - I'm out of room on the internal drive (haven't had a chance to replace it yet) and couldn't get it to write to my samba share. Going to get that internal drive replaced next to give me more space to work with.

Also, I found one of the Kreon-compatible drives listed in that forum posted you linked to for $14, so I ordered that. Thought it'd be nice to play with that option as well and see how it compares.