USB GDrom Thread

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by nonosto, Jun 13, 2015.

1. atari2atari

atari2atari Rapidly Rising Member

Been outside, enjoying the summer, and I missed the news that a firmware was released supporting CDI !

Very exciting.

Unfortunately, I'm one of the ones with the early model controller.

Can you detail where the "...file the controller generates on GDI loading..." is located and named, so that I can send MNEMO a simple email with the information in it that he needs ?

Greatly appreciated!

Very excited to finally try HALF-LIFE with the USB-GDROM! That 25% faster performance improvement will help with that, too... Darn those Dreamcast HALF-LIFE load screens!

Still not clear on what the difference is between "root_init.rar" and "root_init2.rar"

I'd rather not load them until I know, so I will ask - -

Maybe "root_init.rar" does the [A-B] style directory structure?

AND

"root_init2.rar" does the [A], [C], [D], etc. directory structure...?

I already created [A-B] style subdirectories very early on to place all my GDI rips in when I realized MNEMO's menu system would freeze with a single, giant directory of rips.

But maybe using his directory structure configuration system is faster?

Thanks for anyone that can answer these noobish questions! o_O

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2017
  2. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

@atari2atari

load a GDI and let the DC freeze. remove the usb device and look for a file in the root called "GD_debug.bin". That's the file MNEMO wants. He will send you another GD_debug file, put that in the root of the usb drive and load a GDI. This time it will work permanently as MNEMO's file patches the USB GDROM Controller once and for all ;)

atari2atari likes this.
  3. atari2atari

Thank you kindly! That will speed up the process and communication with MNEMO ... and get me to playing HALF-LIFE faster!

4. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

I have it on a repro disc, loading times stink, but the biggest problem is the DC controller's lack of a 2nd analog stick.

5. atari2atari

Agreed - - I use a Dreamcast mouse and keyboard instead, it feels just right (I am mostly a PC gamer).

I really just want to get a few good run-throughs, note the differences between the DC and PC versions, and maybe go for a speed run and broadcast it on Twitch for fun.

Anthony817 likes this.
  6. delti90

delti90 Newly Registered

Is there a known issue when you have a lot of games on one drive? I got my v5 a few days ago and am finally trying it out. I noticed if I only have a few games on the drive (1-5) it'll boot fine. I just loaded a ton (50-70) onto a 128gig drive and now no games boot, they just get stuck at the SEGA logo (right after the dreamcast swirl). If I switch back to a drive with fewer games then it's fine. They're mostly CDi's, but the GDi files won't boot either.

I looked through the posts and didn't see anything about it, so I'm curious if anyone has any idea.

7. Turranius

Turranius Site Supporter 2015

I have the entire TruRip set (US, Japan and EU) on a 2TB seagate (takes up just over 1TB) and it works fine. They are almost all GDi

8. delti90

delti90 Newly Registered

Hm, good to know. I guess i'll play around with it some more. Maybe it's just the flash drive I'm using.

Got it sorted out! Turned out it was the allocation size I formatted with. The program I was using defaulted it 32768. I dropped it down to 4096 and now it's all good!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2017
  9. sean697

sean697 Active Member

Well I tried adding Skype for mnemo and he still has t replied. So I noticed SAG has back orders up tonight for the USB-GDROM. So I just back ordered it. Should be a month or two.

Incidentally, the broken Dreamcast I bought used on eBay is a real piece of work. Seller described it as working but not reading disks. When I unwrapped it, the thing is filled with dead bugs and bug droppings. I'm kind of pisssed. Literally the insides are filled with dead bugs and roaches and droppings. Cleaned up half of it so far. Scrubbed down the top half of shell in the sink. Used air to blow,out as much as I could. Now am slowly dismantling it and using contact cleaner to clean the boards and internals. Using qtips with alcohol for fine cleaning. The power supply board has been cleaned. Going to hold off on the lower half till I get my card. I hope it works. If I can bring this thing back to life it will be a goddamn miracle. I haven't even plugged it in yet for fear of frying something. Damn eBay sellers.

So my plan is this. I'm going to try and mount a 2.5 inch hardrive inside. Use the existing PS. And cut away the disk holder plastic under the lid and put and edge protector on the edge, so the HD is easily removable. If the heat is too much, I'm going to use the 12V rail to add a fan in. If I'm really feeling inventive, I may buy a mini themal fan controller to control the air temp and slow down the fan. Probrably going to look at buying a new push button lid switch to install on the top of the case or lid for the lid switch function. Does all of this sound feasible?

I already have a Hanzo box. Is there any other modifications I should be considering while Im inside? I plan to use the USB GDROM region switch for imports, is that not ideal?mdoes any of this sound problematic?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  10. Turranius

Replace the PSU with a PicoPSU or find the right value resistor to put between 12v and ground. Without it, the PSU gets so hot you burn yourself on it. The 12v fan does not help to bring the 12v voltage down without the original GDi-Rom.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  11. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

@sean697 I would honestly trash the console. I picked up a ps3 how you described. I spent tons of time cleaning the thing, to the point you'd have no idea there was ever a problem. After 10 min of running the heat would produce this smell that was so disgusting. I let the the thing run for days thinking it would eventually air out. I ended up throwing it in the trash. I had plans of selling one but couldn't in might mind do that. I don't know if the dreamcast will get hot enough to spit out a smell, but just a warning.

You can get working dreamcasts all day on shopgoodwill for 5-10 dollars. (Assuming local pickup)

12. Kuririn84

Kuririn84 Spirited Member

I've also picked up various trash consoles over the years that have been filled with bugs. It's weird because they have primarily been Dreamcasts. I agree with throwing them away unless it's something rare. I'm a pro at cleaning consoles, but it's way too much work and I can never seem to get past the nastiness.

13. Fandangos

Fandangos <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

I just received my GDrom from Mnemo and I remember somebody saying something about adding a resistor somewhere in the original DC PSU to be able to use it safely.

Is that correct? Or can I just install it plug and play style?

14. citrus3000psi

You should install the resistor, it will keep the psu from pushing out over 12volts. If I remember its a 300 ohm resistor.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    Fandangos likes this.
  15. Fandangos

Is there any diagram? where should I install it?

16. lovewiibrew

lovewiibrew Site Supporter 2012

Fandangos likes this.
  17. nonosto

nonosto Intrepid Member

I already ask the question but maybe someone have a new solution: could connect a 12 V Fan instead to the resistor?

18. citrus3000psi

Yeah that would accomplish the same thing as the resistor.

19. Fandangos

Thanks for the video. Just installed the GDrom board today and the 3do board on my fz-1. Both worked without problems!

I've added the resistor but the DC still felt a little warm when touching it bottom part. I think that's normal. I was playing Street Fighter 3rd Strike modded for RGB output.

Awesome device!

20. Turranius

No, a 12v fan will do nothing to the 12 rail. My 12v was 13.94v without the resistor. I connected a 12v fan and got 13.94 volt.. no difference. The only difference was that the fan got near 14v and was spinning like crazy, making a LOT of noise.

Also, do no trust the video posted. The resistor there is too small and only brings it down to about 13.10v. You need something bigger. I've stopped trying to find the perfect resistor though as I've switched to a PicoPSU instead.