USB GDrom Thread

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by nonosto, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Teddy Rogers

Teddy Rogers Spirited Member

I have used a couple of 256GB USB3.1 thumb drives without any problems, SanDisk Ultra Dual USB Drive Type-C 3.1 256GB...

Ted.

Plavix likes this.
  2. Plavix

Plavix Rapidly Rising Member

Isn't Type-C 3.1 has a different end? Do you have to use a adaptor? Can you link to the one you're on about? Cheers

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  3. zavias

zavias Member

Yeah. I'm in contact with him now, so hopefully he can provide a firmware update or something that fixes it. If not, hopefully he honors the 50 year warranty. lol

Anthony817 likes this.
  4. Teddy Rogers

Teddy Rogers Spirited Member

Plavix likes this.
  5. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

I have not updated firmware in years for these reasons, I just assume it will break the device.

rey1178 likes this.
  6. Plavix

That could be one issue. I would think on older models this newer FW might break some rhings? Don’t know for sure? My usb gdrom is around a year old and updated twice without issue. I will say I like the new darker theme added.

7. Plavix

8. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

That's unacceptable. He has a responsibility to test his updates with ALL iterations.

rey1178 and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  9. Plavix

Don't complain to me about your issue get in contact with him. You have a 50 year warranty

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Greg2600 likes this.
  10. zavias

zavias Member

Yeah so looks like he wants me to ship the USB GD-Rom back to him at my expense....

11. krisk77

krisk77 Peppy Member

Just saw your videos. Boot loops and returning to the main bios screen can be a sign of poor connection of the PSU pins making contact, even if some other games appear to work fine. I have seen it happen with Gdemu and USB and cleaning the pins and bending them back fixed the issue.

It is worth a shot to try before shipping back the unit to Mnemo.

12. boogieman

boogieman Newly Registered

EDIT: I figued out why I was having so much problems, I'm using a SCART cable and these are two of the games that won't let you play RGB.

So, the weirdest thing happened. I had some a GDI of HOTD2 lock up/freeze the screen. I powered down, and got the "firmware obsolete" message. I then tried installing the new firmware and it worked perfectly. No idea why, but suddenly it was able to install.

I found an old 250gb usb 2.0 hard drive I forgot I had and it worked. I and am going through mostly .gdi and a few .cdi to see what works and what doesn't. So far, I've ran into two games that I can't get to boot no matter what. Has anyone had any luck with The Grinch and Gigawing? What version did you use? I've tried multiple "releases" and these two games just won't work. I've got other games up to the letter N to all work through various releases. I've had much better luck with trurip than tosec on most problem games. I started using tosec as it was easier to acquire, but now I've defaulted to trurip as they usually just work. I find this so odd as most people say tosec is the default releases to use with usb gdrom. I even doubted the validity of my tosec set and downloaded others, same issue, problem .gdi usually work with trurip.

I'm using a US NTSC console with a scart cable. This has caused some problems, most work, but a few won't work with scart cable. This is pretty amazing because I didn't even know til recently that some games not liking scart was a thing, found this reading some .nfo files on some dcres releases. I'll probably eventually get a toro but I'm not really ready to buy one yet.

Anyway, I'm having decent luck with the hard drive, and I try to be scientific in troubleshooting, but it's just such oddball things that keep happening. I'll just keep plugging away at testing and getting games working, but man is this one of the oddest issues I've ran into. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  13. zavias

zavias Member

I just tried cleaning the power supply pins again and bent them to make sure they are making good contact. Even tried putting it in a different dreamcast with the same results. I was really hoping that maybe he would have some sort of special firmware I could attempt to fix the problem, but looks like I might just have to send it back to him.

14. Plavix

I know sending it back sucks ,but unfortunately these things happen. Hope you don’t have to wait too long for a replacement. Let us know when you get the replacement and how everything went.

15. digitaldiatribe

digitaldiatribe Member

Just got my USB-GDROM and have it installed. Is the region free option actually useful? I seem to hit issues when it's on. I tried booting up Headhunter directly and it wouldn't work but would work when using Codebreaker as a boot image and swapping after. This is on the latest firmware, USB-GDROM_fw-18-04-18(O). To that effect, are you able to permanently turn it off if desired?

16. Plavix

I have a 128gb and it works great, but have loads more games I would like to add on. Does any one know which are the best 256gb usb flash drive for usb gdrom? Is usb 3.0 ok to use as well as 2.0?

Thanks

17. digitaldiatribe

digitaldiatribe Member

Stick with a known brand name. 3.0 is fine as it is backwards compatible. The 3.0 speeds work nicely with loading up images from your computer.

18. Plavix

So USB 3.0 is compatible?

19. 8bitplus

8bitplus Gutsy Member

Yes, but like @digitaldiatribe said, stick to a good well known USB 3.0 device. USB 3.0 will just work in 2.0 mode.
    I use a 1tb HDD on a USB3.0 to SATA adaptor on my USB-GDrom.

Plavix likes this.
  20. Plavix

Does it still have to be in fat32 64k cluster. I'll get a sandisk 3.0 then. Thanks for that 8bitplus:)