USB GDrom Thread

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by nonosto, Jun 13, 2015.

1. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

^ install the lid switch and open/close the lid - it will either load the next image in queue or go back to loader

2. Rocky5

Rocky5 Site Supporter 2015

Yup, same I have done loads of DC's but the last 3 I purchased black swirled straight after I changed the settings, my current system can be changed without any issues, so not sure why they arsed up.

As for booting, setting the date to the lowest it would go never done anything, still would not boot a disc, would reboot to the black swirl.

Currently only turning it on & off or using the lid switch to reset the loaded image to MNEMOs menu & hitting start to load it from the DC Bios menu.

MNEMO said to me he's not very good at programming for the DC, so he probably doesn't know how or where to start. It's why his menu system is so limited.

Side question:
    Can you hardware accelerate a homebrew menu?, currently his isn't, by the looks & feel of it.
    (it's choppy/slow when scrolling, with large lists)

3. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

I will not be installing the lid switch anytime soon. He needs to allow 3rd parties like madsheep/neuroacid here to create a menu.

4. lovewiibrew

lovewiibrew Site Supporter 2012

Will version 5 already have a lid switch installed on it? I'm not sure why its much more expensive on SAG than the version 4. Not to mention I'd rather have the usb port on the outside for a HDD. Apparently the SAG website crashed as so many people got on to order the USB GD-ROM. Do people not know they can order from mnemo himself?

5. Rocky5

By default no, they will need to solder a switch to them.

There description on the selling page, is made up, they imply the v5 is 25% faster at loading & supports swapping images & the v4 does not :-/

All boards have the 25% increase & support swapping images & just to be 100% in what I'm saying I asked MNEMO, only difference from V4 to V5 is the USB Header.
    (Had the same discussion on reddit)

The way I see it they needed a reason other than the reversed USB header to slap a +$45 price increase.

& I don't think people do know lol, it works out a hell of a lot cheaper if I buy from him direct.

6. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Not true. I was in a group buy from MNEMO earlier this year, and it wasn't that much cheaper than what SAG are offering now. Don't forget they've already gone through the trouble of importing it over, and paying MNEMO who I don't think can get Paypal. The fact remains MNEMO's products are the most expensive of any (GD-EMU, Everdrive, etc.). It's HIS decision to wholesale his products for such high amounts of money.

7. Rocky5

I was only talking about the price difference from the v4 & v5 on SAG, they added $45 more just because it has a reversed USB header, there description of v5 is not correct nor true, they state false facts, all devices work equally.
    (They imply those features are v5 only)

Anyhow it costs me about £120 for a UGC device all in.
    (Postage included in that, my original one was £137.12 all in, I payed slightly more to cover PayPal fees)

I also think he accepts PayPal now.

Edit:
    Just checked, they updated there description, so no switch & an extra $45 for the revision number.

Point one is valid the other two are not.
    (All revisions from v1 to v5 support the same features & speed benefits, I asked MNEMO, only difference is the USB is internal.)

These are my opinions.

How I think that section should be.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  8. lovewiibrew

I wonder if nmemo or SAG would solder a switch on if asked.

9. cybdyn

cybdyn Embedded developer (MCU & FPGA)

i hope here is still ppl who still didnt get no gd-emu because of price. so i maybe offer alternate device.

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  10. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Well £120 is around $200, which is what I paid in the group buy. Stone Age is a retailer, so what are they making, $15 on each one? That's not much. I talked to them last weekend at a convention, and the v.4's they're selling were sort of a "clearance" from MNEMO, so they got them at a lower wholesale cost. The v.5's are of course the newest product. Stone Age are making very little money on these. I repeat, the high price is 100% the decision of MNEMO, no one else. Like Deunan, they've been offered to have the units made for them, getting a license fee (like ikari_01 with SD2SNES) and have refused. So we're all forced to pay their fee.

Well if MNEMO and/or Deunan stop making them, you'd have an avenue.

11. sean697

sean697 Active Member

I wasn't able to get one. By the time I got in they were gone. Hopefully they will have more soon. Anyone have any ideas on how difficult it would be to install a 2.5 inch HD drive inside the dreamcast with the v5 board? Can the dreamcast supply the power requirements for a powered drive since the GDROM is removed.

As far as availability, it seems like it is a pain To contact mnemo directly. Was thinking of just back ordering on SAG for when they get more in.

12. Turranius

Turranius Site Supporter 2015

It would not be that hard to fit a 2.5" HD internally, but you'll overheat the unit fast. For one, you need to keep the GDI rom in place for the airflow to function as designed, IE go over the power supply. You have to remove it to fit an external HD internally.
    As for power, the original power supply have no problem powering an external 2.5" HD. Sold a few that used this configuration.
    However, if you remove the original PSU and use a PicoPSU, you can keep it all internally. Biggest problem then would be if you can get the HD out through the hole where the GDI rom was or if you have to open the chassis...

As for contacting MNEMO, just add him on skype and in simple words, say you want to order v4 or v5 and he'll give you his paypal. His english is not the best but I've had no problems no far ordering directly from him.

13. sean697

sean697 Active Member

Another question. This one is kind of far out. But I was researching how people rip their games with the broadband adapter to access the GD rom drive on PC with the utility program. With a USB drive , could you also write back to the USB using the broadband adapter? In other words load the utility on your USB drive, and use it to transfer files from your PC to the drive (in my case wirelessly via my wireless network bridge.) I've only read about one way functionality obviously but is it possible it could go both ways? Obviously nobody has had a reason to do that till now.

14. Turranius

Turranius Site Supporter 2015

Most likely not. USB-GDRom mounts the disk read only.

15. lovewiibrew

I still haven't gotten one yet cybdyn. I sunk my money into your PSIO already. :)

16. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Even if they sold a lot, you should be able to sell quite a lot too if your device is cheaper and/or more flexible.

Anthony817 likes this.
  17. Rocky5

When you're done I will buy one from you.

18. LordFenixNC

LordFenixNC Peppy Member

Rocky5 is The proud Collector of all....

rey1178 and Rocky5 like this.
  19. allegrosurf

allegrosurf Newly Registered

does anyone tried bleemcast on usb-gdrom yet?

20. Rocky5

Doesn't work, black screen.