USB GDrom Thread

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by nonosto, Jun 13, 2015.

1. mario-64

mario-64 Member

Thank you FamilyGuy. I searched for "Extract Re-Build GDI" and it led me to these forums but not to any download links. May I ask exactly what you searched for?

2. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Just "RebuildGDI", second link. Less is more!

3. mario-64

mario-64 Member

Ahh ok. My search was too specific. Ugh! Thanks for the link :)

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  4. mario-64

mario-64 Member

Please forgive the noob question but I just updated to the latest firmware to address intermittent boot failures. That seemed to work but I've noticed now when I load a game it no longer loads it directly. It now shows the Dreamcast logo first. So you power on, get the logo, select a game, get the logo, play. Is that correct? If so, do we know why that change was made?

P.S. Also, when opening then closing the lid (I have the switch) it takes me to the Dreamcast home screen but if I select "Play" it says please insert game disc. Is this also correct behavior?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  5. boogieman

boogieman Newly Registered

Please forgive me for bumping such an old post, but I thought it better than making another.

I cannot update my usbgdrom. I can play games on it, but when I put the USB-GDROM_fw-18-04-18(O) file in the root and select it, the dreamcast goes quickly to a black screen, then reboots as if it's a music cd. I keep hearing many issues are fixed with updating firmware, but it just won't update.

I've also had really odd problems. I have one 16GB usb stick which works, but recently bought a toshiba portable hard drive which doesn't work. Formatted to FAT32, 64k clusters with the program the creator recommends and I've also tried other programs. Does anyone have a name and model number of a 1-2tb drive that actually works with this?

It's just so hit or miss if a game works. I have tried tosec .gdi and compatibility is all over the place. Is Tosec the most recommended format?

6. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

no worries this is the usb gdrom support section. you put your question in the right place. i dont have usb gdrom but someone will help you:)

7. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Peppy Member

i do believe tosec is recommended

8. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

So the usb gdrom seems to have problems with certain usb 3.0 devices. Also partition scheme can be a factor. The failed update you spoke of may require contacting mnnemo.

9. zavias

zavias Member

I literally have the exact same issues. I have the entire tosec library and games are hit or miss whether they work or not. Some games will work perfectly fine. Others might have graphical glitches sometimes. Some won't load at all. Some will load to a certain point and then just stop.

ie. I can load Twinkle Star Sprites (J). It gets past the first screen, will play a split second of some audio and then it just stops. The signal from the dreamcast to the TV cuts out and if I leave it running, every few minutes I will get another split second of audio and the tv detects a signal and then it cuts out again.

In Gauntlet legends, We can start playing the game and everything seems to work, but when you go into the portal to start the level, it says that it can't read from the disc and to try cleaning it and the game resets.

It is driving me absolutely mad. I've tried every combination of drives, formating methods, extra files put onto the drives, etc.

Any ideas?

10. Teddy Rogers

Teddy Rogers Spirited Member

What version of firmware are you using? Is this with TOSEC dumps only, have you tried TruRip, CDI's or other dumps? What region is your Dreamcast and the regions ROM's you are using? Just want to rule in/out that it is the USB-GDROM.

I can test here the two games you have mentioned to see if I can replicate this on different firmware revisions...

Ted.

11. zavias

zavias Member

The firmware version I'm using is 18/04/18
    I've tried TOSEC and Trurip versions of Twinkle Star Sprites (J) with the exact same results. I've also tried a CDI version and it just continually reboots, so not sure if it is just a bad cdi version, but thats all I could find. This is a japanese region game. If I turn region free off, it doesn't even boot, but it does if I turn region free on.

This is a US rev 1 dreamcast.

I've taken it apart, reseated the gdrom, replaced the dreamcast battery. no difference.

As an additional weird thing, I just left it running for like an hour with Twinkle Star Sprites running and it started kind of working. Except it was only in black and white and occasionally glitched out.

12. zavias

zavias Member

I found a different CDI version of it and it has the same result as the other one. It just continually reboots the game

13. Teddy Rogers

I will test these games out tomorrow, unfortunately I don't have time now.

If your Dreamcast is overclocked USB-GDROM, on recent firmware revisions from the last few years, will not work properly. It does all sorts of random weird stuff in some games, like what you are describing...

Ted.

14. zavias

zavias Member

Ok thanks. Also, I just tried putting the USB-GDROM in a different rev 1 US dreamcast and it has the exact same results.

15. Anthony817

Anthony817 Resolute Member

While I own a GDEMU not a USB-GDROM, this might also apply to you or maybe not, worth sharing my experience. I have found if I get glitchy or slow Dreamcast boot animations, or some games don't work right, giving the contacts of my SD card adapter, and Micro SD card contacts a nice clean with a cloth, and reseating the device back into the GD Bus I stop having issues. Sometimes contacts can be slightly dirty or some dust can find it's way and cause some strange problems. Since cleaning all the contacts I ceased having this issue. Maybe this is applicable to your use case scenario as well?

16. zavias

zavias Member

I tried cleaning all the contacts of the usb connecter, gd-rom connector, power supply, etc. That didn't seem to solve the issue. Thanks for the idea though. I'm really thinking there is just some issue with the USB-GDROM or the firmware on it. I also just dug up every single usb key and even tried some ancient ones. No luck....

17. zavias

zavias Member

18. Plavix

Plavix Rapidly Rising Member

There must be something wrong with your usb gd-rom. Mine has worked flawless with TSS.

19. Plavix

Plavix Rapidly Rising Member

Is there a compatibility list of USB 2.0 drives on the USB GD-Rom that work? Looking for a 256gb usb 2.0 that works with usb gdrom?

20. Teddy Rogers

No problem here with Twinkle Star Sprites, it hasn't missed a beat. I only tried one of my USB-GDROM's, it has firmware 17.09.05 on it. I don't think I need to test another USB-GDROM. You can rule out any of the ROM images being the problem.

I would contact MNEMO and see what he has to say. You may find you are not the only person who has reported this to him...

Ted.

Plavix likes this.