USB GDrom Thread

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by nonosto, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

I can say for sure a similar issue also happened with the GDEMU for me last week. I guess if the device isn't seated correctly in the slot it will affect the way the system loads like the Dreamcast splash screen in bios will behave strangely and load slowly very creepy sounding. Also, one of my SD cards had some stuff on one of the pins preventing a great connection with it, so cleaning those with rubbing alcohol it has not happened again.

Some other people were discussing another similar issue in the Dreamcast subreddit just a few days ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comments/9ajfzh/any_idea_why_dreamcast_would_startup_very_slow/

2. Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic Spirited Member

Thank you Anthony-- I'll try that and see how that goes. Can't hurt to check it out, and I'll keep an eye on the Reddit thread.

Anthony817 likes this.
  3. ultramecha

ultramecha Rising Member

From my experience funky issues can be due to the power supply. Unseat the power supply and clean pins with 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Then bend gently toward the back of the console, this will help make a solid connection and should resolve issues.

Anthony817 likes this.
  4. Friend of Sonic

I tried these suggestions-- so far so good, but I'll need to keep an eye on it for the next few weeks to see if failures continue.

One question-- is the GDROM USB board supposed to sit at a slanted angle when you screw it into the metal plate thing?

Anthony817 likes this.
  5. Damn-Deal-Done

Damn-Deal-Done Spirited Member

Mine is straight.

6. nonosto

nonosto Intrepid Member

So does exist clone about usb gdrom? Someone sold one and I am not sure if it's a genuine. Could you advice me an sata to usb.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  7. Friend of Sonic

I guess I need to play with the metal tabs to see if I can get it to lie straight. But I suppose it isn't a big deal, since it's just resulting in a slightly angled USB port

8. Damn-Deal-Done

You need a basic usb to sata cable or a basic usb to sata 2.5 enclosure. Enclosures with no firmware from the manufacturer or fancy electronics. Just straight through interfaces. Anything else will cause problems.

This one works well and is the one I use. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IJNDBM4/

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  9. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

No such thing as a passive usb to sata adapter.

Sata isn't compatible with USB, all converters are active.

-=FamilyGuy=- and fafadou like this.
  10. Damn-Deal-Done

Pure semantics. I mean a basic cable. No fancy electronics or firmware which a lot of harddrive enclosures contain which have been known to not work with USBGDROM. Basic SATA to USB cables and enclosures work fine. Just speaking from experience.

11. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

His point is that they all have fancy electronics and firmware, even if they don't look like it.

Shane McRetro likes this.
  12. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Semantics would imply we are saying the same thing, we are not - a "passive" device/cable does not exist for usb to sata.

All of them have the same sort of conversion chip in them. Different ones can be more or less compatible. The way it physically looks is irrelevant.

Basically, you need to identify which chip set works or even the specific device (or even a link to a known working one). The exact same issue occurs with ide to sata adapters and compatibility with the original xbox.

13. Damn-Deal-Done

Ok. Sorry. I don't want to spread misinformation so thanks for correcting me. I will be more vigilant in future and not rush what I type.

Anyway, the one I linked works perfectly and is very cheap. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IJNDBM4/

Bad_Ad84 likes this.
  14. nonosto

nonosto Intrepid Member

15. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

16. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

17. mario-64

mario-64 Member

Hi all,

My USB-GDROM arrived yesterday and I'm preparing my GDI files. Does anyone have a copy of @Rocky5's Extract Re-Build GDI's package? The link is broken and I need that to apply the VGA / FMV fix to Dino Crisis.

Thank you!
    mario64

18. krisk77

krisk77 Peppy Member

You could use the pre patched CDI rip in the meantime.

19. mario-64

mario-64 Member

I know but my goal was to go exclusively with GDI files for my GDROM

20. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049