USB GDrom Thread

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by nonosto, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Gabry78

Gabry78 Member

But read the burned CDs? If you try to reformat the usb stick (fat 32), or try a different one

2. Gabry78

Gabry78 Member

I wanted to give my positive experience with Mnemo, shipping from Belarus (traceable) in 17 days from payment, usbgdrom working with dreamcast V0, tested with usb stick (crunzero 8Gb) and hdd (toshiba 2 Tb portable), 100% satisfied

fry76 likes this.
  3. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

He's been good in taking payment and shipping. That's about where it ends though.

takeshi385 likes this.
  4. Gabry78

Gabry78 Member

Did you have any problems with Mnemo?

5. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Directly no, I didn't even purchase from him, it was a group buy. However, his juvenile treatment of Stone Age Gamer, his OBSCENE 3DO prices, and the near constant serious bugs in his firmware updates are really telling. I didn't even broach my long standing complaint of how he cannot program a menu that doesn't look like it came off a Commodore VIC-20. The 3DO prices are the most significant. He purposely prices the models which are the cheapest to buy the highest. He knows that's going to have the highest demand. Fine, but DOUBLE the price? It's ludicrous. He'll never get a cent from me again. Furthermore, his firmware updates are so wrought with errors that I wouldn't even want to buy a new device, for fear it's nonfunctional on arrival.

takeshi385 and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  6. Gabry78

Gabry78 Member

My firmware is from 2008 and I do not update because the later ones could be worse, (as I read here), and the menu is actually very simple, but thanks to Mnemo I could modermizzare my DC with a library of games, and having eliminated that annoying noise of the lens.

7. krisk77

krisk77 Peppy Member

The firmware updates could be dealt with better and with proper detailed explanations with the changes and a way to downgrade. Twice I had issues with the last couple of versions and no way of a downgrade to a previous fully working version. Instead, anyone affected are forced to wait months on a buggy version until a new version is out, yet at least with a downgrade you don't mind waiting for a new release but having no choice but to stay on a bugged version is not ideal.

Greg2600 and fafadou like this.
  8. fafadou

fafadou Enthusiastic Member

Is it possible to contact Mneno for tell him directly ?

9. opt2not

opt2not Member

I’ve asked that earlier as well, and got no response. Looks like he’s unreachable!

10. Gabry78

Gabry78 Member

It's a bit 'that does not update his page, I hope Mnemo return to the activity after the holidays

Attached Files:

11. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

[​IMG]
    I finally got around to finishing my mount for the usbgdrom today, it lets you install the board without taking apart your GD drive.
    You can find the files to make one on the Thingiverse

Mahimahi, nonosto, Turranius and 4 others like this.
  12. john2kx

john2kx Newly Registered

Has anyone tried getting online with PSO v2 from a USB-GDROM?

I have everything set up. Dreampi, etc. It's able to get online. My problem is swapping discs before PSO. Codebreaker requires a swap before PSO, and the USB-GDROM doesn't seem to allow multiple swaps (was this a feature that was removed?). There's a Sylverant PSO patch disc I've tried as well, but I think that requires the actual GD-ROM disc.

13. 1nick9

1nick9 Member

i've got pso working with usb gdrom. use the sylverant pso patch disc and swap to the gdi of the game. not cdi as the gdi is 1:1 copy of the retail disc. or could just use the pal gdi of v2 as it doesnt require the boot disc. also u can do multi swaps with it, same way u do 2x but queue more up tho i havent used that feature for a long time so not sure if its been removed. but shouldnt need to if u get a gdi dump of the game instead of cdi

fafadou likes this.
  14. Comp1demon

Comp1demon Spirited Member

SO after reading 44 pages.. What is the proper resistor to use if I am using the original powersupply with USB GDROM? Does GDEMU require it too?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  15. Turranius

Turranius Site Supporter 2015

I have not done this in a while but this is my original picture on what to desolder to REMOVE 12v all together. If you use an external VGA box or some other accessory that needs 12v, this is not a good idea I guess.
    http://grandis.nu/images/DreamCastRemove12v.jpg

Old_Cyrus likes this.
  16. Old_Cyrus

Old_Cyrus Newly Registered

12/10 endorse this message. No excess heat AT ALL after disabling 12v rail.

17. Comp1demon

Comp1demon Spirited Member

So using AKura direct or Toro to OSSC makes this a bad idea then.. OH WELL..

Any validation on DreamPSU? Has that been proven 100% reliable?

18. Old_Cyrus

Old_Cyrus Newly Registered

Akura works just fine, I guess it doesn't use the 12V. I'm going straight to my TV, not using a separate upscaler, so I couldn't say if there isn't some other function that needs it.

Comp1demon likes this.
  19. nonosto

nonosto Intrepid Member

Nice. With 2.5 overheating risk how add a second fan and where (for DC with pico psu) , top cover? control with lid switch?

fafadou likes this.
  20. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

I don't follow. With a Noctua fan the airflow gets a nice bump anyway so you shouldn't need another fan. It wouldn't be difficult to add a fan into my design for the GDRom opening, but I would be concerned that any new fan would disrupt the airflow design of the system.